1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter boots that aren't ugly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by brad-t, Nov 30, 2010.

1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

The answer is Timberlands.

2 people like this.
  2. runtonyrun

runtonyrun Member

So I wore those Sorel Men's Ankeny boots that I bought recently through a drizzle and these 'waterproof' boots weren't so waterproof - my socks got wet. Waiting to see what customer service has to say.

[​IMG]

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Defective socks...

1 person likes this.
  4. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Mind sharing a pic?
    Been thinking I should get some footwear more suitable for swedish winters than my other options, and I have also come to the conclusion that black Timberlands probably are my best option, but there aren't too many pics of them worn online

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Remember most of them don't have any lining and depending on the model, not water proof either.

6. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I have these. They are indeed waterproof.

[​IMG]

7. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Oh I understood those were the ones you have and those are also the ones I'm looking at, but I was wondering if you had any fitpics with them?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough the first time hah

8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I don't, but they look like what you'd expect :') if you really need shoes like this, they're going to be invisible in the snow anyway!

9. Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel Well-Known Member

Are there any recommendations specifically for a higher end variant of boot of similar specifications to the title posters?

I was looking at something like this and am interested in alternative options:

http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/santoni-quirion-genuine-shearling-trimmed-boot/3193057

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both leather variants above seem doable to me, but maybe the pebble leather or a stingray variant would be better suited to my needs.

Basically, I would like to find a sturdy winter boot of an extremely high standard of quality that will keep me very comfortable and warm during the New England winter while looking reasonable in any but a very formal environment. It would have to handle the winter and minor slush and snow and plenty of ice, but nothing so bad that one would break out the Sorel's- I'm in Boston. Any recommendations would be appreciated

10. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

bought some hunter original rubber lace ups

11. accordion

accordion Senior member

How is Hunter quality? Any other recommendations? Been looking at Blundstones but they're too short, looking for a slim tall no laces black boot but hard to find.

12. Grove

Grove Senior member

C&J Snowdon's paired with Woolpower socks would do the trick.
    [​IMG]

Cheaney Fiennes are also decent.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

I'm a fellow Bostonian and went through the same decision. I had a pair of Bean boots for the heavy stuff and was looking for a couple other winter options for when precip wasn't actively falling. I got a pair of C&J Wicklows in oiled leather that I've been very happy with. Can upload pics if you'd like.

1 person likes this.
  14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  15. rbarthel

rbarthel Senior member

I just picked up some Chippewa cordovan color service boots from amazon for less than $200 shipped. That seemed like a great price for decent, attractive boots for crappy Rhode Island winter weather days. I'm waaay too cheap to blow $400+ on anything I'm going to use as "winter boots"

16. Uli Kunkel

These are great, thanks. I now realize I prefer a pebble grain boot and am looking into the Cheaneys or a comparable boot in navy, black or Bordeaux. As long as they are very comfortable with a decent liner I'll be satisfied

17. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

hunter is okay. Very comfy

18. Uli Kunkel

That'd be great. Are the lining and sole on the Wicklow really sufficient for winter here?

I'm checking out the C&j site and noticed the soles:

[​IMG]

19. Uli Kunkel

Any other recs beyond C&J for lined leather winter boots with in a burgundy or dark brown to Bordeaux color?

Pebble grain is good but not required. Right now the above Santonis are looking very sharp but I don't really need or want a shearling liner

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  20. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

Hi, I am hunting for a pair of warm boots tha doesn't look like shit. Living in Norway (Scandinavia, Europe), it can indeed get pretty chilly up here.

LL Bean is not easily available in Norway, so Sorel will do, which one should I opt for? Will be used daily and maybe at my university, so Caribou might be too warm for indoor use.

Sorel Ankeny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorel Cheyenne
    [​IMG]
    Sorel Caribou
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014