1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter boots that aren't ugly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by brad-t, Nov 30, 2010.

1. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Yeah.. my buddy wore his shiny Alden shell cordovan Indy's through a Toronto winter. They became dull and lifeless after a while with the salt wreaking havoc on the oils in the shell, and Saphir Reno did nothing to help it. They would shine up briefly and then quickly revert back to the dull look.

So technically speaking they will survive a winter but they will definitely not look very good after.

2. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Get some Blundstone boots in the chisel-toe, non-lug soled version. Waterproof, rubber soled and not horrible looking. They're cheap and relatively disposable as well.

I wouldn't wear $700+ boots in Canadian slush and salt, that's jsut silly.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I would definitely avoid salt in my shell boots and try not to wear them through slush and puddles. But over fresh snow, on wet sidewalks, etc, I do wear them. Leather defender, brushing and occasional Saphir should do the trick.

Vinegar apparently works on salt stains as well.

4. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Well, a question is "is it really worth taking well care of expensive shoes like Alden's shell cordovan in order to ware in severe winter?". My answer is negative.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Black cordovan Alden boots from Context after trecking through Manhattan last night in the snow:

[​IMG]

Needed some nice shoes for a holiday part and these fit the bill perfectly. I highly recommend commando soled cordovan boots for this purpose.

6. Max_Yeah_True

Max_Yeah_True Senior member

The only winter boots I really know about are Timbs, though I've never owned a pair. I'm in Montreal and it's about time I get a new pair of winter boots. Any recommendations for something that would work well or brands that I should check out?

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I got black Timbs and they actually look pretty good and are warm and waterproof. Best option I've found.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I'm imagining Brad in a big denim jacket, baggy jeans and Timbs with a fitted. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  9. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

haha, under pants they just look like a chunky black boot, shape isn't so bad either

10. TBSDSpaniard

TBSDSpaniard Senior member

Are these warm?

11. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Not really. They've got a lot of 'volume', so they're meant to be worn with thick socks. I've found them to more more than sufficient down to -25 Celsius or so with warm socks.

12. TBSDSpaniard

TBSDSpaniard Senior member

my feet were freezing today in the slush and cold. I am in and out of the car alot walking through snow and slush.....im wondering I could potentially wear a pair of 566 or 584s in Toronto over the winter? I've killed a few nice shoes with winters in Canada.

Any recommendations?

13. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Those would be more than sufficient, Toronto isn't that cold. The boots are waterproof so as long as your feet keep dry, you're all good. There really isn't a winter boot that can do waterproof, warm and stylish all at once (especially if you face salt and slush every day and don't want to invest a lot of money in boots that will be destroyed in a couple years).

I wear the 062 model with thick socks and insoles and I don't have any problems with cold feet. That's just my opinion though, I don't like heavily insulated boots as I prefer the versatility of switching up socks depending on weather. Where I live it can be -15 degrees one day and then +2 degrees the next day.

14. rockket

rockket Senior member

do either the blundstones or the timbs work with tapered jeans/small leg openings?

looking at the 063 chisel toe blundstones or timbs brad posted specifically.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ Just ordered those aswell. Wearing the 510´s everyday, need something rotate.

16. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I wore the Timbs with skinny leather pants today and no problems.

17. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

In sunny weather, I wear Galibier Super Rando. Nice casual all around hiking boots.

When there's snow and ice, I wear Sole Spike studded Meindl Gastein lambskin-lined winter boots.

That's my go-to winter boots footwear.

18. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

They work fine, they're a bit chunky but that's just the way it is with winter boots. I wear mine with straight leg pants and tapered denim, I don't think it looks too bad. Everyone around here wears Blundstone boots anyways so I don't exactly stick out.

19. rockket

rockket Senior member

thanks brad and john. i'll probably pick up one or the other over the holidays.

i've been meaning to get a chunky black boot and a winter boot, so hoping the blundstones or timbs can check both boxes.

20. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

1 person likes this.