1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter boots that aren't ugly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by brad-t, Nov 30, 2010.

1. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

Probably not the SF approved brands but Tod's and Zegna both make decent looking winter boots that can be worn with slacks or suit. These are probably more than $300, unless buying on XMAS or end of season sale or at TJMax, Marshalls, Filene's, Nordstrom rack etc.
    Quote:

2. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

3. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Wow, those look great.

4. Merovius

Merovius Active Member

Hello everyone, its been quite a while since Ive posted in these forums but I just wanted to pop in for some quick feedback. I have held out as long as I could and the snow is finally coming down here in Minneapolis. I am in need of some city slop boots, preferably water proof..

Ive taken the time to browse the forums and my top options are:

Red Wing Beckman - cant say enough good things about Red Wing and the quality of shoe they make, a Minnesota based company too.
    Wolverine 1000 Mile - very close in aesthetic

Im about to pull the trigger on the Red Wings but I was wondering, is there anything similar to the Beckman available out there that is also waterproof and even gore-tex?

Any feedback appreciated thanks in advance.

note: I have Sorels for multiple feet of snow.

5. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

As long as I know, Red Wing & Wolverine don't make any waterproof or gore-tex shoes. Visvim makes gore-tex boots that look exactly like Red Wing moc toe boots though. Anyway, all I can say is that they all are definitely not for snow or ice.

6. johng70

johng70 Senior member

Just my opinion but I'm not a huge fan of that style sole for winter - you still have a stretch of leather that is going to get soaked. For rain/snow I prefer something with a full rubber sole - not the commando half sole.

7. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

8. VirtruviusR

VirtruviusR Senior member

^ They're fugly but they get the job done. Been around for decades, are classics, well constructed.

Not the best on ice (but then most things that look halfway decent aren't).

Also apparently you can resole them with conventional soles if you so desire at some point down the road, which makes for some aesthetic mindfuckery.

9. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

I love them on ice actually. Much better than Sorels. The Bean boot has a super thin sole that lets you 'feel' the ice much better than even my sneakers, and also has fantastic traction.

10. VirtruviusR

VirtruviusR Senior member

Hmm weird, maybe I'm just incredibly clumsy (actually, I am incredibly clumsy) and I haven't had much to compare it to in terms of other winter boots. I've been back to using some old timberland chukkas for winter lately but it is no fun, wish I hadn't sold of the bean boots (though this is an opportunity to kop summadat Bison/Buffalo leather version).

----

Those half-boots posted earlier are properly gorgeous... Anyone have more gems like that to share?

11. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

A good pair of winter boots is wonderful on thick snow... not so good on slick ice and in that case, make em screw boots. It should be good enough for the entire season!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

These are going to be my main winter boots this when things start getting nastier:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=4035

Other options

Hermes has some nice hiking style boots, but at $1000+
    Merrell makes similar styled boots
    Any Alden/Thorogood/Viberg/Oak Street boot on a rubber sole
    Fashion brands (Tods, Ferragamo, etc) on leather sole
    Bean boots

13. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

14. pasteurisation

Really? Except Bean and Merrell, they all are not waterproof at all. They will get destroyed shortly after snow falling.

15. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

Shell cordovan boots should be more than fine. I've worn shell in snow, slush, and freezing rain--sometimes in the same day, and a good brushing's all they need to stay sharp. (Well, I also polish the sole edges often.) Bean boots and the like aren't necessary at all for winters in the city unless you trudge in inches of snow all the time (or need to shovel snow).

1 person likes this.
  16. Dorje

Dorje Senior member

This, I've lived in CO since '92 and nothing beats a full on Vibram sole for a boot used on anything other than dry pavement and indoors. I ordered the Wolverine 1k Austens when they were $200 on Gilt and they only had a half sole with very shallow lugs, that sole and that boot are not meant for rugged use, they are work boots. Same with the Vibram gumlite sole Chippewa uses on some of their boots, no good in the snow. I have been through a lot of medium/heavy bavkpacking boots and they are hard to beat in winter conditions... my current Lowas look nice and are awesome in difficult conditions. Nice ones use one piece leather construction. Not as bulky/awkward as Sorels, but Sorels are hard to beat for standing around in very cold weather for longer periods of time.

While not exactly cheap, the Julius 7 back zip engineer boots with vibram soles don't just look good, they are some of the best built boots I've ever seen in my life. I have the ones I'm selling in my sig below in size 3, they feel like they will last a lifetime. I have tried them in snow and ice in the last few days, they make great winter boots which is what I was looking for.

I also have a pair of Dirk Schonberger winter boots with a tongue made out of calfskin and wool laminated together that wraps around the entire foot. It's Belgian... where it's cold but not a ton of snow, so they are good for when it's cold but not slippery... I have the low profile Vibrams on them which make them work for after the snow has been cleared and the welt has been waterproofed (from the factory). Inspired by miner's boots...The color irl is much nicer than the pic.

[​IMG]

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Agree 100%. I wore shell last night in cold rain, no issue. I'll wear specially designated shell (black tankers) treated with Alden's leather defender for snow days when I need to look respectable over the next few months. For heavier duty, Bean Boots will do (the Hermes boots look to expensive for what they ae). I also have some Danner boots but those are really very rarely worn.

18. pasteurisation

19. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

Yes, that kind of winter. I live in Ottawa, Canada. I avoid puddles when possible. Not because shell boots aren't waterproof, but possible salt stains. Keep up your footwear maintenance and you'll be fine.

20. pasteurisation

True, it is most likely salt that destroys shoes. I do wax my shoes once a while, but I'm too lazy to do it every week. Regardless, they never get waterproofed or something with wax or waterproof spray. It looks like I ended up not finding me a perfect pair for this winter...