1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter boots that aren't ugly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by brad-t, Nov 30, 2010.

1. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

What are these?

2. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Because its a pair of UGLY boots! haha! on a serious note, they did some nasty black magic on those Mad Man boots so while they are waterproof, the leather looks like two piles of horse dump.

I would get 1964, but it would be better for you to find a Made in Canada one on Ebay. They will last longer than the Made in China low quality Sorels made nowdays

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. ColdFeet

ColdFeet New Member

Ok, so I didn't buy those boots I mentioned, too expensive and no ability to try out in person so I went to the local shoe store and got these much cheaper boots. They're okay looking I feel and they are lined and warm with a proper sole for winter. So I think I am set for a while now.

[​IMG]

4. gnippiks

gnippiks Active Member

5. candrew

candrew Senior member

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

6. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I think concussion

7. Ackord02

Ackord02 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. Ackord02

Ackord02 Senior member

9. Ackord02

Ackord02 Senior member

Red Wing Heritage X Nigel Cabourn - The Munson Boot

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. alwaysraw

alwaysraw Senior member

Who's got a recommendation for a winter boot that is:
    1) Waterproof
    2) Made in Canada or USA

11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Rick Owens boots disintegrate against pavement, let alone snow.

12. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

danner.

13. S0LJAH

S0LJAH Well-Known Member

x post from the yuketen thread
    how would something like the MG peanut suede hold up to winter weather? is the rain just going to ruin the suede?
    [​IMG]

14. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Looking to replace my standby wet-weather boots (red wing GT). I want something a little taller and more elegantly shaped. Think a higher and straighter instep, a raised but pointed toe box, simple punched eyelets without hardwear, thicker sole. Goodyear stitching is okay. An angular, sidezip combat is what I want. I like KVA and CP, and I have Raf but not sure I want to put those through water regularly. Are there options I haven't explored?

Danner service boot sounds okay but there seems to still be problems with ordering.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  15. Stitches

Stitches Senior member

[​IMG]
    Fools, these are winter boots. What is with all the suede and thin delicate leather? Salt's going to tear that shit apart.

16. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Just read the latter half of the thread. What the fuck

17. OneBeLo

OneBeLo Senior member

http://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Ame...UTF8&qid=1351158272&sr=8-2&keywords=thorogood

Probably the best bang for your buck out there. If you are walking there where is a lot of ice though, the vibram christy sole on these won't be the best. They also come in a moc-toe if the plain isn't your style.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  18. bobbyz

bobbyz Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat looking for that in-between boot that's not for shoveling or trudging through extreme snow but enough for my 10-15 minute walks to and from the car during a Canadian winter. I work in a casual environment (dress pants and shirt) so I'm trying to find something I can wear all day as opposed to change out at work. I agree with pretty much everyone that when it comes to suits I use the swims overshoe and when it comes to extreme snow I have a pair of shitkickers that I can go to.

I use a Blundstone Chelsea boot right now for the -5 to -15 Celcius weather. But in when that windchill hits or there's an inch or two of snow on the ground my feet get cold real quick. Pretty sure its not lined or the lining is terrible. This has me wary of some of the Chukka recommendations that SF puts out there. I checked with Wolverine on the 1000 mile who recommended that they weren't a good shoe for winter, and the Red Wing folks weren't as quick to recommend any of their heritage line although I'm a big fan of the Beckman boot. Any recommendations to keep the cost below $300?

I'm considering these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what I have now

[​IMG]

19. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I'd be worried about the rain and salt. Of course I would use a leather/suede spray on them even if I never planned on wearing them in the winter. I would recommend that and then get yourself a nice coal/tote bag from say Stanley and Sons (I have the exclusive they did for Hickorees, the selvedge one, and I love it) and then you can swap shoes when you get to work or wherever.

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

You could use the 1K for winter but would have to put half soles on them, they aren't expensive. You would also have to waterproof them with something like HDLP. I have the 1000 mile boots in 744 shell and the Krause and they are very comfortable boots.

I like AE a lot however not a fan of the wedge soles on those Eagle County's, just my preference. Or the lace to toe hiking boots for wear in a professional work place. I have a pair of black cherry Beckman's that I wore a couple of days ago to run the snowblower on my long and steep paver brick driveway at just below zero F (-18 C). They had a surprising amount of traction, I did not slip at all. I wore fairly heavy socks and after half an hour my feet did get cold. I used clear paste wax on the Beckman's to help protect against the elements. Normally I wear felt lined snow pacs for snow removal but wanted to see how well the Beckman's worked. They did the job.