1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Boots 2011 / 2012

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by chut6, Oct 3, 2011.

1. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

I love how if you go to SZ, some people just walk around in their guidi all year, just wear thicker socks

2. travisd

travisd Well-Known Member

Places that sell paraboot will import Galibier for you. You can get from Pelle Line (near me) for example. They order on Thursdays and it takes about 2 weeks to get the boots from France. http://www.pelleline.com/

3. brimley

brimley Senior member

It'll be warm enough, but the sole on Docs is terrible on ice.

4. mk.ultra

mk.ultra Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. Tyler2106

Tyler2106 Active Member

Those are really nice! More info on the boots please.

6. mrubens

mrubens Member

Thinking about one of these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

7. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

i like last pair the best

8. chut6

chut6 Well-Known Member

I like the last pair too... Just wondering how waterproof they are?!

9. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Thorogood. Poorman's Red Wing.

10. mk.ultra

mk.ultra Senior member

Thorogood Moc Toe, those are the 8 inch. I have the 6" ones and I love them. haven't tested them in winter yet though, this will be the first year. I sno-sealed them so they should be dry and warm when worn with Wigwam socks. They were $120 shipped and are made in the USA.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you want to look good, just order a pair of Trickers Grasmere's with a storm or Barbour welt, a commando sole (for traction), and scotchguard them. They will be fine for city wear, anywhere, under essentially any conditions.

1 person likes this.
  12. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

How well do mountaineering boots like diemme work in the winter?

13. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

They are good three season boots. I think boots with a warm lining and grippier rubber outsoles like the Meindl Gastein or Bestard Summit BG3 (new wet surface outsole) would work better in the winter. You don't want to slide like a duck on ice.

If you want to use the Diemme, get some Stabilicers. They will give you a good traction on ice where the rubber isn't up to the task.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

+1

15. jimtology

jimtology Well-Known Member

What type of soles should I be looking for, for walking in the snow/ice? I had thought that vibram christy soles would work, but I guess not?

16. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Ah thanks, upon looking more into diemmes, they look good but yeah they aren't good with ice or snow. I might end up going with a pair of viberg hikers, since they have a much better sole.

17. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

The Thorogood boots are a great value. I picked up a pair from Eddie Bauer for about %150. Great buy.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  18. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Bestard is a Spanish hiking boot brand still made in Lloseta, Majorca, Spain since 1940. I bought mine from Barrabes.

19. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Would this actually work? I'm just looking for something decent looking that will give me some traction during the winter. The city I'll be living in does a piss poor job of clearing ice.

20. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I'm looking at this:

http://www.boncami.com/tenda/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=262{2}23

[​IMG]

Described as follows on the site:

Light, breathable and extremely comfortable mid-cut multi-use boot, which, thanks to the design of the soft collar and the lacing, is practically a hybrid between a boot and a low-cut mountain-shoe, combining the advantages of both. Ideal for everything from speedy mountain ascents to easy hiking. Its Multifunction BG3 outsole excels in slippery and wet terrains like snow, ice, wet and mossy rock, wet metal staircases during a Via Ferrata etc.

SUV MULTIFUNCTION BG3

The development of the BG3 Multifunction system was born with the idea to try to improve the grip of the sole without having to sacrifice its abrasion resistance and duration. The now world-wide patented innovation of the Italian company Frasson Solemakers consists of an advanced industrial process with permits to use of different materials together, thus benefiting from their different advantages in on single sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Traction
    [​IMG]
    Braking
    [​IMG]
    Grip
    [​IMG]
    Stability
    [​IMG]
    Slotdrain

Light, breathable and extremely comfortable mid-cut multi-use boot, which, thanks to the design of the soft collar and the lacing, is practically a hybrid between a boot and a low-cut mountain-shoe, combining the advantages of both. Ideal for everything from speedy mountain ascents to easy hiking. Its Multifunction BG3 outsole excels in slippery and wet terrains like snow, ice, wet and mossy rock, wet metal staircases during a Via Ferrata etc.
    SUV MULTIFUNCTION BG3

New revolutionary outsole which excels specially for use on all kind of slippery surfaces where a traditional rubber-sole might fail, such as winter walks on snow and ice, trekking on humid and mossy rock, metal staircases along a Via Ferrata etc.

The development of the BG3 Multifunction system was born with the idea to try to improve the grip of a trekking-outsole on normally slippery surfaces, without having to sacrifice its resistance to abrasion. The now world-wide patented innovation consists of advanced industrial process which permits the use of different kind of materials together, thus benefiting from their different advantages in one single sole.