Winter Boots 2011 / 2012

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by chut6, Oct 3, 2011.

1. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

I followed your thread last year desperately =( I've just resigned to the same fact I think you did, they are gunna have to be kinda ugly or ill just have to wear my nicer shoes out

2. mk.ultra

mk.ultra Senior member

just get some Wigwam socks and wear whatever. I'm in Wisconsin so our winters aren't quite as bad, but I'm with Wigwams + Thorogood leather work boots (sno-sealed)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

3. chut6

chut6 Well-Known Member

I'll have to try out the wigwam socks. They look good and I like the fact that they are made in the USA.

4. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I may have bad eyes for boots but Sorel Woodbine boots look surprisingly good. Debating either to get that or Mad Man boots.
    Much better than the caribou ones IMO.

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

A pair of suede wedges with stingray accents would be my choice, total functionnality. If you're ready to drop that kind of $$$, I stand by my suggestion from last year

Vass
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

C&J
    [​IMG]

There's also a Neil Barrett collab from last year I think (not the same model though) if you'd like to pay twice as much.

I might buy the shearling lined version if I can locate a pair. It's still ugly.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. brimley

brimley Senior member

^^ Yo, the Palladium's are canvas, right? You will soak through in about fifteen seconds. Would definitely not recommend.

If you actually live somewhere that forces you to deal with slush and salt and gravel on the roads, get a random leather pair off of Yoox with a lug sole. Get big enough for a thick sock and use some boot oil or sealant. They will last for a couple of winters and look fine, and you won't have to baby a baller pair of handgrades.

7. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

I made it through an Edmonton winter with a pair of leather soled+topy'd wolverine 1000 miles. Threw on some warm socks and I was good to go for city stuff.

If you're doing anything serious (i.e. outdoor winter sports) then you'll need a proper pair of boots (i.e. Sorel etc) but for just walking around the city a sturdy pair of boots and warm socks is almost overthinking it.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:

Am I right in thinking that Edmonton is more of a crisp, clear cold - i.e. lots of snow, very cold but not wet? You can indeed get away with good boots in that case.

In south-eastern Ontario and western Quebec, it's comparatively wet snow, partly because it's not quite so cold, which means I need something that has that combination of being properly waterproof and warm - and if you live outside an urban area and the sidewalks (even if they exist at all) don't get cleared, like me, then Sorels are essential.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

9. Haawy

Haawy New Member

Awesome thread. I'm starting to fall for the Red Wing 213 model, but I'm not so sure about the sole. Also considering Wolverine 1000 Mile and Diemme Roccia Vet. I wore Chelsea boots last winter and I didn't have any problems staying warm, so Sorel or anything like that would be overkill. Just looking for a more rugged pair that will do good when the weather is turning bad.

10. gearhead

gearhead Senior member

11. AHShadow

AHShadow Senior member

These are pretty awesome, and not that bad in pricing! Anyone know where to get these ones? Cause they don't seem to have the low cut version on their site. Also quality?

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Those are leather - Palladium do both canvas and leather models. I like Palladium's practical ugliness, but they're not everybody's cup of tea.

13. Strak

Strak Member

Hi guys,

With winter coming I am also looking for a pair of new boots. My shoe wardrobe consists of a pair of black cap toe oxfords (C&J Hallam), brown Clarks desert boots and a pair of blue suede Asics. My dream boots at the moment are the Alden ravello cap toe boots (see sig) but these are a bit out of my budget. Now I am looking for something a bit comparable (not cordovan) to the Aldens. So far I came up with three options.

Alfred Sargent Cambridge
    http://alfredsargent.co.uk/exclusive-range/cambridge/

Herring Keswick
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?brandid=6&catid=109&shoeid=3010&selectedSizeid=9&selectedFitid=2&seconds=0

Loake Burford
    http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/223.php

I hope someone could help me a bit with my decision. My first doubt is whether I should go for a cap toe or a wingtip brogue. Also the Alfred Sargent is more expensive, are they really worth the extra 125 pounds quality wise? Do you think one of these boots would be a good addition to my wardrobe or would you recommend something completely different? I hope hearing from you!

Thanks in advance

14. gearhead

gearhead Senior member

They do have them on the site, just not in black yet, listed as expedition alpine
    http://www.rokinshop.com/store/index.php?cat=17&marca=39
    U can email them for retailers, i know 3 in toronto being Uncle Otis and Lavish and Squalor and Sydneys
    I have their Roy Boots and Ryder Derby shoes, they are inferior in quality to my ndc boots and marsell shoes, but then again, those are twice the price ( if not more ) of rokins' offerings.
    For their price, they are very good, beats Frye, Timberland, Gstar and the like in comparable price range, even better if u can get them on sale

15. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

In Wolverine's UK/European range is the Tyrol hiker. It looks like a classic hiking boot. Around $180-200, you can find it cheaper. A part of the company's 1883 collection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011