• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Boots 2011 / 2012

chut6

Reaction score
The fact that these are Gore-Tex I think will help a lot. I have a pair of Gore-Tex hiking boots and they stay dry on the inside even when soaked on the outside. It's the salt that I think will cause the most damage!
Salt stains on your boots are the worst... Can't stand the people that walk around in their Ugg's that look like a giant salt stain.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I'm not even gonna pretend that they're not ugly, but I'm probably picking up a pair of these soon:

02604_033_primary.jpg

There's also a new Palladium x Maharishi collaboration:

02771_001_primary.jpg

I'm leaning toward the first ones, particularly because of the side zipper for easy on/off (and I like zippers on shoes for some reason; I can't really explain it). Also $75 cheaper than the Maharishi model.

On the other hand, the Maharishi model gains coolness points just by being a collaboration (not that I know anything whatsoever about the Maharishi brand).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living just down the St. Lawrence from you guys, I have to agree that you just have to forget style when it comes to footwear outside in winter. When the snow piles up, I get my Sorel's out and clump about for the next few months, keeping any decent shoes in the office or for the occasional trips overseas.

Harrington

Reaction score
Good god, fur-lined Wallabees are a terrible idea. If it's cold enough to need lining then it's way too cold to be wearing crepe soles. You'll be walking on rubber ice cubes.

I vote for Katahdins, or, yeah, Sorels when it's really cold.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are you guys feeling for Winter boots this season? Living in Montreal I need something can handle our harsh conditions, but want something that looks sweet at the same time.
I saw a nice pair of Clarks Wallabees with a fur liner, but I think these would hold up better.

Unless "harsh conditions" means no snow and ice, that sole will be useless (talking from experience)

I'm getting a pair of Sorel as I have come to the same conclusion as everyone else, warm feet and good grip over style.

If you want leather winter boots, then get some Viberg etc. with a proper sole.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
may as well just drop a g on some mr hares

AHShadow

Reaction score
I live in Montreal too and past the last two winters freezing my feet off! However, when there was a snowstorm, I usually took out my Timberland's from 5 years ago and they hold out well if you also wear wool socks. But yeah, Montreal winter > style unfortunately :plain:. However, what would people recommend for some of the nicer boots that they're using, sacrificing functionality for a bit of style (Uncontrol?)?

kasakka

Reaction score
Good thread. I'm thinking of getting the Red Wings 4585 boots, does anyone have any idea how they would handle a winter? It's cold as hell here and plenty of snow.

03f64b7d-2dcb-4fd3-8b61-b99a86f20ccd.jpg

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Montreal too. There are no nice winter boots that are going to offer the kind of protection Montreal calls for. Just suck it up IMO. I have an OK pair but functionally they are lacking.

Living in NYC and having visited Montreal int the dead of winter...man, Montreal is ******* rough. Wear something that keeps your feet warm, there comes a point where you have to consider at what cost are you willing to deal with cold, wet feet. Abington, Sorel, whatever works.

Last edited:

Hatch&Whisk

Reaction score

check out the sole on these. I always reccomend sorels as good snow boots. heavy duty duck boot might be more paul bunyon than rick owens but itll keep you blizzard ready for sure.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

check out the sole on these. I always reccomend sorels as good snow boots. heavy duty duck boot might be more paul bunyon than rick owens but itll keep you blizzard ready for sure.

You can get those in stingray leather if you're a real baller. Link here. It seems every year or so Sorel has a premium version of their classic Caribou boot.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good thread. I'm thinking of getting the Red Wings 4585 boots, does anyone have any idea how they would handle a winter? It's cold as hell here and plenty of snow.
03f64b7d-2dcb-4fd3-8b61-b99a86f20ccd.jpg

Buy them large, son-seal them and use proper wool socks and you'll be in business. You must buy large enough to use a wool liner sock and then a heavyweight - I'd suggest Wigwam's Canada socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads