• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winter boot quandry...

newinny

Reaction score
I need some winter boots for the slush and muck of NYC. I'm going to use my "Thank You" points so my options are Orvis, Land's End or LL Bean. Currently stuck between the following choices:

Gokey Boots
2X6GL0FH.jpg

orrrrrrrr...

Gokey waterproof gore-tex boots
57PYA8HH.jpg

lastly...

Orvis Alden
9P4HXB.jpg

Help a brother out.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather soles are no good in snow and slush. I'd go with the gore-tex waterproof boots.

newinny

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the first pair. The second ones look a little extreme.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alden looks best by far. If you don't like the leather soles, just have some vibram added.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the third pair, if only because I hate moc toes.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll repost my LL bean boot review: LL bean signature work boot ($149).

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
ok the LL bean work boot arrived today.

here's the initial impressions:

Pros:
  • very soft leather, little breaking in needed
  • very sleek compared to red wing original irish setters
  • 8 inches high
  • very very low profile treads on sole not boot like at all in feeling more like broken in boat shoes.
  • low profile sole- boat shoe like which i like

Cons:
  1. leather tounge is free and doesn't have insulation against water/snow above 4 inches
  2. sole looks like tread will wear quickly
  3. not as beefy compared to redwings

as to fit: i ordered a 9.5 D (it only comes in medium width) which fit well with wool hiking socks.
i am a 10 Nike/adidas running shoes
9 RW boots
9.5 jack purcells

i took a ton of pics and some comparisons with the red wing rugged classic. honestly i these will be Not be enough for heavy rain and slushy conditions. i'll still need a gortex insulated waterproof boot for those days.

but they are very very comfortable to walk in, almost broken in boat shoe like right off the bat.

4883925120_48dbbecc23_z.jpg

4883925340_70c8ec4f47_z.jpg

4883322015_2275266b21_z.jpg

4883925938_8e9be7e5ef_z.jpg

4883322611_04fd303418_z.jpg

4883926500_13f91ab45c_z.jpg

4883323119_2a843a309b_z.jpg

4883323327_9e8bb3474f_z.jpg

4883324141_7facd62d81_z.jpg

4883323545_62b70275c3_z.jpg

newinny

Reaction score
The goretex ones are actually fifty dollars cheaper than the first pair (350).

CC-1

Reaction score
I have had both Gokeys (standard) and the Alden. I was born/raised in NYC. Neither boot is very great in city winter. Gokey's moc construction is cold and develops leaks in the stitiching. (originally A&F carried them) City grime is also deleterious to Gokeys when maintained with oil. The Alden will hold together well but the Vulcork sole is extremely slippery and there will be lots of occasions for spills on ice, wet metal plates on sidewalks and manholes. Both boots are very comfortable when fit correctly. Stylistically, Gokey is a little more outdoor woodsman looking. Aldens kind of pedestrian workboot but very popular now with the Indy look. Hate to say it but the most suitable would be a Bean Boot. The 8" or shorter ones are more becoming with slacks (less dorky-looking) than the taller ones and you'll deal better on subway and bus steps, getting out of cabs, eating in restaurants, etc. Excellent for standing in or jumping over slush pools. Bean quality is reduced these days and the Maine Hunting Shoe model is superior but only comes in 10" and taller. Question is do we want a coolth factor or just practicality?

newinny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CC-1
I have had both Gokeys (standard) and the Alden...

Thanks!!

I'm not a fan of those Bean boots. Too popular with the Brother Jimmy's, fratty WASP crowd.

Coolness and practicality are split about 50 / 50 in this case. When reading the bird hunters' reviews of the gore-tex Gokey's, I wonder if I'm going overboard for what I need.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two 'A's in Quandary and everything photographed so far in this thread is hideous IMHO -- but I'm not sure there's a solution to waterproof outdoor footwear that isn't.

CC-1

Reaction score
You surely don't want those goretex jobs. They are ugly and you will roast. Got to remember that unless you are a security or school crossing guard, most daily city life is indoors, with forays outdoors. Gokeys, Russells and the like are upland boots. BTW forget Vibram unless you want to look like Credence Clearwater Revival or like driving around with tire chains. Vibram is cold on concrete and most models are hard walking on concrete. Bobs maybe, lugs N.G.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the looks of the first pair.

CC-1

Reaction score
It's hard to come up with something really good but you might want to take a hint from the Canucks who have the same problem as us but in spades. Check out Pajar (sold at Harry's near Zabar) Pajar has an awkward but thorough website. Do not throw up immediately before looking at the whole men's line. The boots are mostly pull on/off and guaranteed waterproof. They have a very good rep. My daughter and two sisters have had them for several years. Top quality, performance, not cheap. The men's styles... well I don't know your taste or the offerings either. If you get up to Boston Pajar is sold at the Shoe Barn in Newton at discount. No prejudice if you no like but you gotta give us a better shot than the Holden Caufield look. Maybe Alden can provide another sole. Call them in Middleboro, Mass. on Monday.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Leather soles are no good in snow and slush. I'd go with the gore-tex waterproof boots.

+1 This is the true wisdom.

If you really insist on wearing leather boots in salty slush then apply mink oil on the leather to seal it and provide resistance to the elements.

CC-1

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend mink oil for Gokeys. It's too greasy. It attracts and holds grit and grime leading to the breakdown of the moc stitching- then they leak. Old Gokey promoted and sold Dyo Leather Balm, Dallas, Texas, for "Botte Sauvage" products. New Gokey (read Orvis) sells Gokey Conditioner for $6.00 but the bottle looks suspiciously like the old Dyo bottle with a Gokey label.
In any case it was a very good product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads