• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

Complete Novice

Reaction score
You sure you absolute cannot use Kirin on Midas, why not just email to check first?
Positive, spoke to Emil - he prefers to drive a clear distinction between the two ranges and I want to respect the makers intent : )

Besides, I just got persuaded to do the full Winson spec : )

Open to any and all suggestions on the leather though ! Sorta joking not joking on shark - handled a display pair of loafers by Yohei Fukuda which really changed my mind - in a fine grain, much more subtle than I thought it would be.

I have no idea about durability though - do you ?

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Positive :)

Open to any and all suggestions on the leather though ! Sorta joking not joking on shark - handled a display pair of loafers by Yohei Fukuda which really changed my mind - in a fine grain, much more subtle than I thought it would be.

Shark questions? cc: @Adhazem

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Positive, spoke to Emil - he prefers to drive a clear distinction between the two ranges and I want to respect the makers intent : )

I can handle that question about shark's durability. The scales of the leather make it very tough and durable. In fact, it is pretty resilient to scuffs. People I know that have boots made from it claim it to be water resistant but that's second hand information so keep that in mind.

That all said, if you are worried about durability and a long lasting leather don't be. Shark is 👍🏻.

Adhazem

Reaction score

Hello! I just got a pair of Scaforas in shark. I’ll tell you compared to calfskin it feels much more durable. Yet it’s very subtle and not like you’re wearing pleather or something. I like the grain pattern and it’s unique to the hide you got.

22D0A68B-DE6A-4BFA-9719-0D2A9F4BF45B.jpeg

859883F1-EFA1-412C-9532-122598C47C96.jpeg

Adhazem

Reaction score
Hello! I just got a pair of Scaforas in shark. I’ll tell you compared to calfskin it feels much more durable. Yet it’s very subtle and not like you’re wearing pleather or something. I like the grain pattern and it’s unique to the hide you got.

View attachment 1785312

View attachment 1785313

One thing I’ve found in shark is that it soaks up the color. Those are supposed to be “turquoise”. I knew they were gonna be way darker when I ordered but still I want you to have that expectation so you’re not caught off guard.

Complete Novice

Reaction score
Keep in mind, if you want something that Emil can not source you have to obtain it on your own. Additionally, others will need to be interested as he won't make a single pair of boots/shoes.

One thing I’ve found in shark is that it soaks up the color. Those are supposed to be “turquoise”. I knew they were gonna be way darker when I ordered but still I want you to have that expectation so you’re not caught off guard.

Thanks @clee1982 @Jmr928 @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes @Adhazem

If I can get hold of some finely grained skins from a reputable manufacturer, this could actually work.

Super weird question alert:
  1. Does any one have experience successfully shipping leather to Emil?
  2. Does anyone have a lead on a good shark tannery?
Much appreciated!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Noirkw

Reaction score
Thanks @clee1982 @Jmr928 @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes @Adhazem

If I can get hold of some finely grained skins from a reputable manufacturer, this could actually work.

Super weird question alert:
  1. Does any one have experience successfully shipping leather to Emil?
  2. Does anyone have a lead on a good shark tannery?
Much appreciated!

Yes. Be very aware of shipping leather goods as it incurs very hefty charges when imported to Indonesia.

It is better to ask Emil to source the leather himself as he has an official import license. Then top up and pay the difference to him

Betta

Reaction score
This was posted over at reddit:

I'm interested in ordering a boot from Winson shoemaker in a burgundy embossed leather from Annonnay . The owner, Emil, said he does not have that leather in stock right now.

Emil would restock the leather if at least 2 orders OR 2 people are interested. Anyone who is interested, please email Emil at [email protected] so that he can restock it.

MTO price INCLUDING lasted shoe trees: Shoes start from $800.00 Boots start from $830.00

evangel21

Reaction score
My MTO pair has arrived after 9 months. Well worth the wait. Really happy with the result.

Longwing derby in steel museum calf and ocean navy suede in the Aurora last.
This being my first pair from Winson, I took a risk with the Aurora. Emil was really helpful.
Initial feel of the fit is length, ball, instep feels good. A little heel slip but should be fine after a few wears.

Attachments

• 20220708_161454.jpg
    20220708_161454.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220708_161506.jpg
    20220708_161506.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20220708_161538.jpg
    20220708_161538.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 153

ifticar2

Reaction score
My MTO pair has arrived after 9 months. Well worth the wait. Really happy with the result.

Longwing derby in steel museum calf and ocean navy suede in the Aurora last.
This being my first pair from Winson, I took a risk with the Aurora. Emil was really helpful.
Initial feel of the fit is length, ball, instep feels good. A little heel slip but should be fine after a few wears.

Those look incredible! love the color combination as well as the texture play on those, and goddamn, that is one of the most beautiful longwings I've ever seen. Reminds me of the Hiro Yanagimachi longwings with calf and suede

evangel21

Reaction score
Those look incredible! love the color combination as well as the texture play on those, and goddamn, that is one of the most beautiful longwings I've ever seen. Reminds me of the Hiro Yanagimachi longwings with calf and suede

Thanks! They did turn out incredible. I'd have to admit that I took inspiration from Hiro's longwings with calf and suede.

hysteria

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a Midas GMTO with this London Grain leather? This is a pair of EG in London Grain. They're the only ones I've seen use this texture of grain, which I think looks very interesting and a bit more differentiated from the traditional scotch or hatch grains. Looks like it can be sourced, and if there are 4 people in total who are interested, we should be able to commision it through Midas.

Do we have enough enthusiasts for this?
I can correspond with Andrew to get it going if there is.

1660792446517.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads