• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

evangel21

Reaction score
yup, sent him feet tracings as well. I think the taper on the aurora last is a little to pronounced for my toes. Never had issues with sizing really. 11D in Carmina Rain, 11d Yeossal. etc. It is kinda painful after a while though. Like I said I have not walked around much. Other than sitting in front of computer.

The group doing a loafer GMTO originally wanted the Aurora last but was advised by Emil that the toe box would be too tight for all of us. Volume is lower than the other lasts.
So that could be the issue.

I am wondering if you persevere wearing it and the footbed sinking in would result in a better fit.
Or stretching the toebox a little?

Betta

Reaction score
The group doing a loafer GMTO originally wanted the Aurora last but was advised by Emil that the toe box would be too tight for all of us. Volume is lower than the other lasts.
So that could be the issue.

I am wondering if you persevere wearing it and the footbed sinking in would result in a better fit.
Or stretching the toebox a little?
Yeah thats been my thinking
1. Eventually the footbed will sink in + slight stretching overall. Before trying
2. Mechanically stretching the toebox
3. Not risk it and sell before any further use and depreciation.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are the shoes? Have you ever had this sort of problem on any other shoe before? I can't say that I have, that I can think of.

Betta

Reaction score
What size are the shoes? Have you ever had this sort of problem on any other shoe before? I can't say that I have, that I can think of.
Size 11 d.

Nope have not had those issues with any shoe, Carmina, Fugashin, Yeossal, etc.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size 11 d.

Nope have not had those issues with any shoe, Carmina, Fugashin, Yeossal, etc.
You can add volume to the shoe trees, at the trouble areas, to stretch them a bit.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if those lines are toe puff cutting into your toe you can't get more from there right (even if you stretch)? can only hope footbed sink in further but if it's mostly in front then not sure.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't going to adjust a celastic stiffener much.
Additionally, a toe box is not made to be stretched. It is what gives the shoe its frontal shape.

A decent shoe guy may provide some relief, so it couldn't hurt to have a shoe repairman give it a shot.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't going to adjust a celastic stiffener much.
Additionally, a toe box is not made to be stretched. It is what gives the shoe its frontal shape.

A decent shoe guy may provide some relief, so it couldn't hurt to have a shoe repairman give it a shot.
I've managed to increase space in just the toe box before. It maybe mm but enough to make a difference. I can't remember which trick I used for that though.

If you can fit them with thicker socks (medium weight or so) for a few hours without any discomfort, you'll loosen up the shoes a bit because your feet with thicker socks will increase the volume inside the shoes. The downside is that you'll experience an overall increase, even if it's only a few mm. You'll notice the difference.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best luck I've had with a project like that was when I had a pair of lasted trees a half size bigger than the pair I wanted to stretch. Wrapped some scrap leather around the toe and taped it on and jammed them into the shoes. Even then like @deez shoes says - I got maybe a mm or two out of it but I was right on the edge of acceptable to start with.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best luck I've had with a project like that was when I had a pair of lasted trees a half size bigger than the pair I wanted to stretch. Wrapped some scrap leather around the toe and taped it on and jammed them into the shoes. Even then like @deez shoes says - I got maybe a mm or two out of it but I was right on the edge of acceptable to start with.
Adding volume to trees is a good solution but, like you said, it works better when the fit issue is minor.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - I wanted minor tweaks and I didn't want to do the full thick sock treatment because I wanted the adjustment to be more targeted and had a good fit everywhere other than the toe that I didn't want to sacrifice

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - I wanted minor tweaks and I didn't want to do the full thick sock treatment because I wanted the adjustment to be more targeted and had a good fit everywhere other than the toe that I didn't want to sacrifice
I definitely hear you. It's not good to lose that snug fit in other areas... especially the heel.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right so you guys are talking very minor improvements. By the picture, looks like major surgery would be in order. Like I mentioned, 5mm but that would be wishful thinking. More then likely you are realistically looking at 1-1.5mm.

Betta

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I tried using service boot thick socks and those wear unbearable, will try with medium thick socks. But definitely leaning on :/ either spend more money and try to get it stretched (At my own risk) or sell at a loss.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I tried using service boot thick socks and those wear unbearable, will try with medium thick socks. But definitely leaning on :/ either spend more money and try to get it stretched (At my own risk) or sell at a loss.

Well all hope is not lost. What kind of relief do you require? Height or width clearance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads