• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

Kivi D

Reaction score
For those who have a pair from Winson, can you comment on the quality of the shoes, more specifically their crust leather? I was thinking of commissioning a pair of austerity brogues from them but C&J is has a pair on sale and its almost too good to pass up considering they're the same price.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who have a pair from Winson, can you comment on the quality of the shoes, more specifically their crust leather? I was thinking of commissioning a pair of austerity brogues from them but C&J is has a pair on sale and its almost too good to pass up considering they're the same price.

I can not comment on the quality of Winston's crust leather. What I can say is if you know those CJs fit you well I would go that route.

The construction method employed by Winson is superior, however a GYW method will last you years provided you have a nice rotation.
I would also add that CJ, at least the handgrade, offers exceptional leather quality.

Kivi D

Reaction score
I can not comment on the quality of Winston's crust leather. What I can say is if you know those CJs fit you well I would go that route.

The construction method employed by Winson is superior, however a GYW method will last you years provided you have a nice rotation.
I would also add that CJ, at least the handgrade, offers exceptional leather quality.

I have yet to have a pair of C&J's so if I opt for those, they'll serve as my "trial pair" for a couple of handgrades I have my eyes on.

I do know Winson uses the HW method, which gives them the edge in that aspect but I have an extensive rotation so I won't have to worry about anything until 20 years down the line lol.

I will however be sending them to be patinaed, should I get the C&J.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have yet to have a pair of C&J's so if I opt for those, they'll serve as my "trial pair" for a couple of handgrades I have my eyes on.

I do know Winson uses the HW method, which gives them the edge in that aspect but I have an extensive rotation so I won't have to worry about anything until 20 years down the line lol.

I will however be sending them to be patinaed, should I get the C&J.

Considering that you will be getting them patina'd, that would give the edge to Winson because you can specify the color additionally (maybe more importantly) save the money from the patina.

Any chance you can send those CJs back were you to buy them? Would be nice to "trial" them for the cost of shipping ?.

Kivi D

Reaction score
Considering that you will be getting them patina'd, that would give the edge to Winson because you can specify the color additionally (maybe more importantly) save the money from the patina.

Any chance you can send those CJs back were you to buy them? Would be nice to "trial" them for the cost of shipping ?.

That's why I'm strongly considering going with Winson but at the same time if the quality of one leather beats out the other shoe, then that's who I'm going with.

Yup! I just got confirmation I'm able to return for a full refund if they "don't workout" for me.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm strongly considering going with Winson but at the same time if the quality of one leather beats out the other shoe, then that's who I'm going with.

Yup! I just got confirmation I'm able to return for a full refund if they "don't workout" for me.

Don't even think twice about it. Buy them, return them, and just say that they didn't work. Even if they did work ?. Hell, I'd go and purchase several lasts to try. That's what I did to gain knowledge of fit across various brands ?.

Again, I'm not sure what kind of crust Winson is using but I do know that he has access to Euro leathers. Which means he should, at least, be able to obtain something of a similar quality to what CJ uses. Were you willing and able to wait, I may go his direction as you can specify the leather of interest.

If you want something specifically from a certain tannery, just inquire with him.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Winson is superior in terms of construction technique and finishing. Then there is the full customisation option with C&J without any additional fee.

C&J has a large selection in in RTW with multiple lasts and u really can't go wrong with them either Winson or C&J. The only problem with Winson is the wait time

Kivi D

Reaction score
Don't even think twice about it. Buy them, return them, and just say that they didn't work. Even if they did work ?. Hell, I'd go and purchase several lasts to try. That's what I did to gain knowledge of fit across various brands ?.

Again, I'm not sure what kind of crust Winson is using but I do know that he has access to Euro leathers. Which means he should, at least, be able to obtain something of a similar quality to what CJ uses. Were you willing and able to wait, I may go his direction as you can specify the leather of interest.

If you want something specifically from a certain tannery, just inquire with him.

That’s exactly what I plan on doing lmao. I’ve already ordered my pair ?

Yea I might shoot him a quick email to see what’s available on terms of softer more supple leather. From what I’ve read he’s been experimenting with different leathers.

I think Winson is superior in terms of construction technique and finishing. Then there is the full customisation option with C&J without any additional fee.

C&J has a large selection in in RTW with multiple lasts and u really can't go wrong with them either Winson or C&J. The only problem with Winson is the wait time

Yeah, last I heard the wait time for a pair is around 6 months. At least that’ll give me time to come up with an elaborate plan to bury the purchase and smuggle the pair without the missus knowing ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
by the way what's the best way to contact Winson, IG or email?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads