• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

flashkobalt

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to order a pair of regular line cap toe Oxfords on the Kirin last?... Seems like a slightly sleeker version of the marlyn.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to order a pair of regular line cap toe Oxfords on the Kirin last?... Seems like a slightly sleeker version of the marlyn.

generally Kirin, qilin, and aurora lasts are restricted to grandeur, but he’s not the most consistent guy on that front so it’s worth asking. I’d do oxfords in grandeur every time tbh, the international leathers are very much worth the extra cost

flashkobalt

Reaction score
generally Kirin, qilin, and aurora lasts are restricted to grandeur, but he’s not the most consistent guy on that front so it’s worth asking. I’d do oxfords in grandeur every time tbh, the international leathers are very much worth the extra cost

Thanks mate,

I was thinking about getting a couple pairs of patina shoes from Kostas/Carlos Santos. Then I saw this thread and the Winson Instagram and got the order form so was thinking about getting him to make up something similar. Wonder if I should just get the Carlos Santos.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Thanks mate,

I was thinking about getting a couple pairs of patina shoes from Kostas/Carlos Santos. Then I saw this thread and the Winson Instagram and got the order form so was thinking about getting him to make up something similar. Wonder if I should just get the Carlos Santos.

Different shoes IMO, at different price points. Wouldn't be fair to compare them, but both are excellent value at their respective prices. CS has the advantage of returns and shorter lead times, while Winson has mind blowing amounts of handwork

Betta

Reaction score
Anyone have a boot made in Aurora last they can share photos of?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate,

Different shoes IMO, at different price points. Wouldn't be fair to compare them, but both are excellent value at their respective prices. CS has the advantage of returns and shorter lead times, while Winson has mind blowing amounts of handwork

I would agree with @boot_owl here. Different level of shoe, so it would not be fair to compare. If you find yourself willing to wait for a properly made shoe, Winson offers value at three times the price those CS sell at. If you want to maximize your dollars, the CS is an excellent option.

I think I would categorize it this way. If I want one pair, Winson. If I need multiple pairs, CS.

flashkobalt

Reaction score
This is very helpful... I may be misinterpreting the advice, but it seems that the recommendation is to get the grandeur line for something outstanding, and overlook the regular line as being somewhat pedestrian (relatively speaking).

Basically I'm looking for multiple pairs in different interesting patinas to try and avoid more browns and burgundies (which I have and like). The sintra, Petro shadow, Norte, Florest shadow, and Trejo all seem nice looking, and would add some nice interest to boring work outfits given accessories like ties are now essentially almost frowned upon in a healthcare setting.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very helpful... I may be misinterpreting the advice, but it seems that the recommendation is to get the grandeur line for something outstanding, and overlook the regular line as being somewhat pedestrian (relatively speaking).

Basically I'm looking for multiple pairs in different interesting patinas to try and avoid more browns and burgundies (which I have and like). The sintra, Petro shadow, Norte, Florest shadow, and Trejo all seem nice looking, and would add some nice interest to boring work outfits given accessories like ties are now essentially almost frowned upon in a healthcare setting.

IMO and based on your expectancy, I would definitely go the route of CS, especially taking into consideration you prefer multiple pairs. Whilst the Winson are the better shoes, for your purposes the CS shoes are more appropriate.

I would be speaking for myself here but yes the Grandeur line for a true keeper shoe, and bypass the regular line. This is not to imply the regular line is a substandard shoe. On the contrary, I believe the regular line is still superior to the CS. I am strictly speaking on my perception of the better value.

boot_owl

Reaction score

Regular line is still very well made, but more suitable for casual shoes as locally tanned leathers will typically be used to achieve the lower price point. Not so much more pedestrian, more like the regular line has a different purpose in mind.

I do think CS suits what you have in mind a bit better - Emil is also moving away from offering regular line dress shoes.

kingtranq

Reaction score
Regular line is still very well made, but more suitable for casual shoes as locally tanned leathers will typically be used to achieve the lower price point. Not so much more pedestrian, more like the regular line has a different purpose in mind.

I do think CS suits what you have in mind a bit better - Emil is also moving away from offering regular line dress shoes.

Seeing how its called Midas Bootmaker...do you know if Midas will offer dress shoes?

ifticar2

Reaction score
I would still take Winson regular line over CS. On regular line, patinas are done with local crust calf, while grandeur line, its done with ilcea calf I believe. One of my trial shoes was made with the local calf, and its not bad at all. It has better creasing than my museum calf pair lol. Regular line winson will probably come out cheaper than CS, while the grandeur will likely be a bit more than the Carlos Santos handgrade. Either way with Winson, you will get an extremely well made, hand welted, hand stitched shoe. Biggest disadvantage would probably be the wait time and shipping costs with Winson

Psyko

Reaction score
How does the Grandeur line compare against Oct.tenth and Yeossal in terms of construction quality, leather quality and finishing?

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the Winsons out to fall foliage sightseeing over the last few weeks.

4F65FFA6-A0D1-46AE-B4CB-A8A462ED21C7.jpeg FF8960A1-09D1-477B-8731-A35916DA6F6D.jpeg 95AE57C0-79A0-4C08-961E-AEE06E694EA4.jpeg 03B5D424-5D40-4D1F-8B9A-14A44C8453B8.jpeg 8F71F081-5CEC-4B9C-BB1D-B332DD841DBC.jpeg FCA663BA-CD0B-4F91-8701-095D426C3090.jpeg 1E9D8651-B21D-488E-A09D-CB9AA7597A3F.jpeg D0043FE6-2786-473B-8542-C22B3BF62880.jpeg C9683406-3F63-47C3-B355-A6C384041CA7.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright boys we have a price. So, as you are all aware Emil and Winson Shoes have been busy with the new venture.
Fortunately, we have a price for the shoes.
For the following details:

Model: Thick strap Loafer
- Line: Grandeur
- Last: Aurora
- Leather: Mahogany Lama leather
- Construction: Hand Welted (flat welt)
- Apron style: Rounded 2 piece apron with edges meeting, simulating a 1 piece apron
- Waist: Beveled Round waist
- Sole: Standard Single JR Leather

So again, no fiddleback waist or blind waist but it will be rounded beveled waist.

So you can say the sole will be like this from the profile and overhead view
View attachment 1462748 View attachment 1462749

While the rounded underside, like this
View attachment 1462750

Of course, the upper last shape will be the Aurora last
View attachment 1462752 View attachment 1462753

So the price would be $420 with the lasted spring loaded trees $500.

If you opt for a hinged hollowed tree, you are looking at $550

well, that's one GMTO I missed, though I'm a hard fit in loafer, so probably a good idea that I didn't gamble...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads