• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience on both Kirin and Aurora lasts? I heard back from Emil (by email) after giving him all the data I could, and he recommends I switch to that one for the strap loafer. But the Aurora looks so beautiful!

Betta

Reaction score
Base price for the loafer was 190 + 40 for Explosion topy, and then shipping/paypal fee. Altogether amazing price for a hand welted bespoke loafer. The time will vary depending on what is currently on Emil's plate.
Do you did you take photos of the soles? and from the top down? Really liking that loafer + last combination

ifticar2

Reaction score
Do you did you take photos of the soles? and from the top down? Really liking that loafer + last combination

I receive the shoes on Friday, so I'll take some pictures then. Glad you like the last, its the custom last Emil made for my weird, wide flat feet.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Utah tends to roll kind of similar to shell.

Definitely closer in characteristic to the shell. Although much softer, probably due to the tanning process and the utilization of fats.

Anyone with experience on both Kirin and Aurora lasts? I heard back from Emil (by email) after giving him all the data I could, and he recommends I switch to that one for the strap loafer. But the Aurora looks so beautiful!

Qilin for me. I'll have my first Aurora last after this commission. Any particular reason he suggested using one last over another?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard that too .. but people say Russian grain creases better

That's possibly true, but the overall appearance of the Utah looks more even. The Russian grain, if left unattended, looks worn and faded.
Positives and negatives for both, but surely worth having both of them.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Qilin for me. I'll have my first Aurora last after this commission. Any particular reason he suggested using one last over another?
I think he's looking for something wider, or with more volume, across the joints. Unless he misread what I sent him first or I made some mistake, he said my measurements would be 42-43 for width but 39-40 for length. I've never had anyone else recommend up to 43 based on width, and outside of I think just two pair that I have in 42, I've never worn more than 41.5. I told him I was trending now toward 41 instead of 41.5, so I think he's looking for a last for me with more room in the forefoot.

But man, that Aurora is so gorgeous!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he's looking for something wider, or with more volume, across the joints. Unless he misread what I sent him first or I made some mistake, he said my measurements would be 42-43 for width but 39-40 for length. I've never had anyone else recommend up to 43 based on width, and outside of I think just two pair that I have in 42, I've never worn more than 41.5. I told him I was trending now toward 41 instead of 41.5, so I think he's looking for a last for me with more room in the forefoot.

But man, that Aurora is so gorgeous!

Beautiful shape no question, but if it is an issue about receiving the better fit I'd go the route of the Kirin.

boot_owl

Reaction score

kirin and qilin definitely have more width and the joint and pinky toe.

Kivi D

Reaction score
From what I can tell, at least from their IG, the Aurora is a soft chisel?, the Kirin is a classic round, and the Qilin is somewhere in between those??? I'm having a tough time identifying their lasts....

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kirin and qilin definitely have more width and the joint and pinky toe.

That's actually why I initially selected the Qilin. Emil mentioned they work better for my feet. Which is why I'm sweating thinking about that Aurora last, but hopefully we can make it work.

kingtranq

Reaction score
From what I can tell, at least from their IG, the Aurora is a soft chisel?, the Kirin is a classic round, and the Qilin is somewhere in between those??? I'm having a tough time identifying their lasts....

Kirin is described as an "almond"
Qilin is described as a "soft square"
Aurora is described as a "soft square" but where it differs is that is has a high arch and instep

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads