• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

bsarosi

Reaction score
Had some communications with Emil and he advised reaching out to who’s coordinating the GMTO. Has it been decided it’ll be a GMTO for a single model or do we have the option to choose any style with the mahogany lama?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some communications with Emil and he advised reaching out to who’s coordinating the GMTO. Has it been decided it’ll be a GMTO for a single model or do we have the option to choose any style with the mahogany lama?

I better reach out to him then to ascertain what the various costs may be.
I know Emil prefers a GMTO, but was actually waiting on him to hear back about pricing options.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright boys and girls, so as already mentioned Emil would prefer to keep it as a straight GMTO. It is my contention, however, more interest in this leather would be generated as individual MTOs.

So please state your interest in the Lama leather so we may have, at least, a soft number to bring to the table.

Projected GMTO---- shoe shape on the left with strap size and shape from the right.
PhotoCollage_20200912_005354563.jpg

GMTO details ....
- Model: Thick strap Loafer
- Line: Grandeur
- Last: Aurora
- Leather: Mahogany Lama leather
- Construction: Hand Welted (flat welt)
- Waist: Beveled Round waist
- Sole: Standard Single Leather
- Edge Finish: TBD

MTO details..... Entirely up to you. Just agree to select the Mahagony Lama.

Estimated production time 4 to 5 months.

Pricing...
This is still unknown because Emil is waiting for the price of the leather. A few factors will affect price such as leather price, shipping, import taxes, leather size, etc. etc.

There may or may not be a huge price difference between MTO & GMTO.

In my opinion and based on I have paid for shoes from Winson and what others have paid, my estimation would be as follows...

$445 for the loafers
$60-$65 Shipping
$75 Lasted shoe trees (optional)
+$35 Lama Leather upgrade (or perhaps nothing)..

So you could be paying as much as $620 which includes shoes, lasted trees, leather upgrade, & shipping. This would not include a potential MTO fee (again potentially could be waived). Perhaps you could even pay less depending on the cost to ship to your country.

Alternatively, you could be paying as little as $505 (leather and MTO fees waived) includes Shoes and shipping but no lasted trees. Perhaps you could even pay less depending on the cost to ship to your country.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Alright boys and girls, so as already mentioned Emil would prefer to keep it as a straight GMTO. It is my contention, however, more interest in this leather would be generated as individual MTOs.

So please state your interest in the Lama leather so we may have, at least, a soft number to bring to the table.

Projected GMTO---- shoe shape on the left with strap size and shape from the right. View attachment 1456915

GMTO details ....

Pricing...
This is still unknown because Emil is waiting for the price of the leather. A few factors will affect price such as leather price, shipping, import taxes, leather size, etc. etc.

In my opinion and based on I have paid for shoes from Winson and what others have paid, my estimation would be as follows...

$445 for the loafers
$60-$65 Shipping

So you could be paying as much as $620 which includes shoes, lasted trees, leather upgrade, & shipping. This would not include a potential MTO fee (again potentially could be waived). Perhaps you could even pay less depending on the cost to ship to your country.

Alternatively, you could be paying as little as $505 (leather and MTO fees waived) includes Shoes and shipping but no lasted trees. Perhaps you could even pay less depending on the cost to ship to your country.

In!

Do you have any thoughts on the style of apron? The Winson penny you linked has a round two piece apron with edges pointing upwards. The Ann pair has a square 2 piece apron with edges meeting, simulating a 1 piece apron (like the EG Piccadilly).

Alternatively, Winson can also do a 1 piece square apron or 1 piece round apron

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so enthused about trying a pair from this maker that I may be willing enough to just go along with whatever is chosen by the group (if it indeed ends up needing to be a regular GMTO), but I am equally so enthused by both the lizard loafer pictured just above (shape, design, everything) and perhaps the brown lama instead of the mahogany, so perhaps an individual MTO is the best way forward to me. I imagine price differential would really drive that decision.

Speaking of price, any idea what that very exact same pair of lizard loafers would cost? Man, those things look amazing. (Edit: I sent them an email to ask for a quote on that loafer, both in lizard and in calf or suede. I'm blown away by it!)

Last edited:

evangel21

Reaction score

Projected GMTO---- shoe shape on the left with strap size and shape from the right. View attachment 1456915

GMTO details ....

Pricing...

$445 for the loafers
$60-$65 Shipping

I'm in. Good for GMTO.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In!

Do you have any thoughts on the style of apron? The Winson penny you linked has a round two piece apron with edges pointing upwards. The Ann pair has a square 2 piece apron with edges meeting, simulating a 1 piece apron (like the EG Piccadilly).

Alternatively, Winson can also do a 1 piece square apron or 1 piece round apron

Good question. Considering it will be the Aurora with the almond toe, I think keep the same mindset and have it as a rounded apron. A 2 piece round apron looks cool because we would have the inclusion of that lovely stitch.
I also think it looks slightly less formal as a two piece.

Alternatively, because it is a grain leather (like the Lizard) a one piece round keeps the general appearance neat and tidy.

I'll look at the other Aurora lasts that used a grain leather to compare.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on what I saw, I think a round 2 piece apron with edges meeting into a 1 piece apron might be the best compromise. It still offers a bit of visual interest, doesn't come off as a convoluted mess (based solely on the grained Ann loafers), and isn't entirely formal. We would also be keeping the Round toe (although almond toe) on round apron coupling.

Whilst I prefer the appearance of the two piece apron with the edges pointing upwards, I believe that works best on a smooth leather. I do believe the one piece round would offer the most cleanest apron with a grained leather. We also have the lizard shoe as a reference point to emulate a grain on a single piece round. The Lama is not nearly as textured as Lizard though. In any case, that would be my runner up as an option.

To summarize..

First choice = 2 pcs round apron w/ edges into a 1 piece apron.
Second choice = 1 pcs round

I am comfortable with either option.

Last edited:

bsarosi

Reaction score
I'm in for either GMTO or MTO in mahogany lama. The loafer on Aurora is great and I don't have a preference on the apron between 2-piece and 1-piece. If we go the MTO route, I'd probably go with the Vanquish boot on Qilin.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in for either GMTO or MTO in mahogany lama. The loafer on Aurora is great and I don't have a preference on the apron between 2-piece and 1-piece. If we go the MTO route, I'd probably go with the Vanquish boot on Qilin.

So a running head count is myself, @bsarosi, @boot_owl, and @evangel21 for the Mahagony loafer. Which meets the minimum head count Emil requires for the leather to be ordered. In its current iteration we also would have the potential for the GMTO in a Mahagony loafer.

@acapaca is a strong maybe for the Mahagony loafer.

I usually like to know as much information as possible about what goes into a shoe. That being said, as standard our interiors and exteriors would be as follows:
Lama calf leather, argentine insole and welt, JR outsole and heel, Baker's stiffeners.

I am attempting to determine what would be the upcharge for the Baker's sole only, as well as the upcharge for full Baker's interiors and soles.

In regards to adding another wrinkle and because boot owl mentioned EG, what do guys think of a painted sole?
A la EG
Screenshot_20200912-113132_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads