• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winson Shoemaker (Indonesia) Thread...

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I understand but still worry if my foot is wider than his kirim last in my suppose size.
Is your width mostly in the joints? That's the case with me, but he still thinks I can take the Kirin in 41, which is the smaller of the two sizes I normally wear. He advised me against the Aurora in 41, so I guess that one is more narrow. He said I should be able to take Qilin and Kirin fine, or Edlyn if I wanted a roomy forefoot.

It sounds like we're good to go with the HAF option, though I confess that I don't fully understand what the differences are with the Grandeur finishing versus something else.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in case someone reading this may think, "oh it's like EG sizing". No, because my Winsons have a touch more width in the forefoot than my EG's 9uk, yet less toe box height.

If I could quantify these shoes, these would be like the length of the EG 606 9uk but have the remaining shoe be similar to the 8.5uk CJ 337 last.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He said I should be able to take Qilin and Kirin fine, or Edlyn if I wanted a roomy forefoot.

Was told the same. Aurora was a no go. I size up would be too long. Keep the same size, may not be able to fit my foot inside.

Kirin, Qilin, and Edlyn would be my best options.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I think we have @acapaca @WhyUEarly @deez shoes @jischwar and myself in consensus on HAF sole option?

Thats five so we are good to go. Others most welcome too.

Any final thoughts before I drop Winson a note to open the GMTO?
I will join you !. Thanks
Is your width mostly in the joints? That's the case with me, but he still thinks I can take the Kirin in 41, which is the smaller of the two sizes I normally wear. He advised me against the Aurora in 41, so I guess that one is more narrow. He said I should be able to take Qilin and Kirin fine, or Edlyn if I wanted a roomy forefoot.

It sounds like we're good to go with the HAF option, though I confess that I don't fully understand what the differences are with the Grandeur finishing versus something else.
Thanks. My width problem comes to the ball of my right foot and sometime with my pinkies too. I am not wearing sharp lasts anymore and that bootie kirim last seems from pics a bit in that side. I thought Aurora last was wider.
I will pull the trigger and join you boys @Complete Novice . Thanks to all of you.

Complete Novice

Reaction score
I will join you !. Thanks

Thanks. My width problem comes to the ball of my right foot and sometime with my pinkies too. I am not wearing sharp lasts anymore and that bootie kirim last seems from pics a bit in that side. I thought Aurora last was wider.
I will pull the trigger and join you boys @Complete Novice . Thanks to all of you.
Good stuff @Zapasman you are most welcome to join us.

I will give it a few more hours for folk to chime in then I will contact Emil.

Thanks to @boot_owl and @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes for input and first hand experience too - deeply appreciated!

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just typed this out in a PM and figured it would help with the lasts.

The Aurora last has the most extreme chisel which is why it doesn't really work for wider feet.

Kirin is round and, aside from Winson's casual lasts, the most forgiving.

Qilin is soft chiseled. Kind of splits the difference between Kirin & Aurora.

For reference, my feet (in width) are 10.5cm & 10.8cm or 4.15in & 4.25in respectively.
Emil said that I may as well forget about the Aurora last unless it was modified. I typically am able to obtain that required width across many 8.5uk makers. However, in order to obtain a similar accommodating width, the 9uk was the best option for the Kirin last.

Emil was spot on. The half size up worked for me, although it is a touch longer than my JL 7000s (8.5uk) or EG 606s (9uk).

Now for the life of me, I can not find my Kirin lasted boots. I did find the Qilin which was the first boot I purchased from Winson.

I figured I would at least demonstrate some differences I spoke of earlier. Here is that Qilin compared to my 606s, so Soft Square to SS comparison.

Remember I mentioned less toe box height for Winson vs EG. Here is pictorial evidence demonstrating that below. Winson on the left...
20210503_153405.jpg

The picture above makes it appear as if the EG is longer, but that is because I had to angle my hand to demonstrate the forefoot and toebox height difference.

While we are talking a fraction longer for the Winson, they are indeed longer. Furthermore, the Winsons have a touch more width in the forefoot but not the toe, so for those where joint width is wider these work well. Hopefully your toes narrow as well, as opposed to remaining wide. That said, Kirin will provide more toebox width than the Qilin.

Hopefully that all comes across below.

20210503_154430.jpg

FYI, the Kirin last is the exact same length as this Qilin pictured above. Forefoot width is the same as well. Toebox width is wider on the Kirin.

The Kirin toebox expresses a width similar to what the CJ 325 exhibits, yet remember I had to size up to achieve a similar width.

I'll be on the lookout for that Winson boot to place it next to my 325s.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very helpful, BColl! I'm curious what your methodology is for measuring your foot width?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a very kind review from you @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes. I will be waiting for the 325 CJ comparision as I wear a very comfortable fit with the 325 last in 9 uk. Cheers

I'll have to come across those boots. I actually already stored most of my winter stuff, so these were stragglers.

Very helpful, BColl! I'm curious what your methodology is for measuring your foot width?

My measurements are typically updated whenever I have a new commission. I ask the maker and they provide it haha. So, I don't have a methodology persay.

My misses took them for me many years ago. The measuring tape was always fitted.

What does fitted mean? Think when they initially place a blood pressure cuff on your arm. That first time it's slapped on there is the kind of pressure I felt when my misses took my measurements. Those measurements served me for many years.

Now that would be a girth measurement. "Width" was obtained from the drawing of my foot. End of the ball of my foot to the end of outside of it. Typically, the girth measurements and outline of the foot is all makers care about it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads