• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winnipeg - recommend a good tailor and hairdresser

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to stay in Winterpeg for a couple of months. Does anyone have suggestions to a competent tailor or hairdresser?

Also besides Harry Rosen, Danali's and the occasional steal at Holt's, what other shops can you recommend?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my brother lives there, and has his suits made by an asian tailor. let me see if I can get the name and number for you.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm originally from Winnipeg, and am moving back for the summer at the end of the week. Holt is not just an occassional deal. They have deals all the time. Pretty much my entire wardrobe comes from there. As for tailors go to one of the stores you mentioned and ask their opinion. Just for reference, the Harry Rosen pretty much sucks. They have very little in the way of selection. But then again beggers can't be choosers.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry's does suck. $800 for Boss black and $1500 for Canali, never with a discount, and that about all the suits worth spending on. AE park avenues are $450. I could do so much better in a Nordstrom.

Most of the stores here tend to be streetwear stores. While I do love the street aesthetic, they don't stock the labels I want, and tend to be some Diesel / TRs / Lacoste that I find boring. So far the only nice boutique that strikes a balance is Danali's.

But yes Holt's always has deals. Picked up a Samuelsohn charcoal 3-button for $415. Could have done better, but it was pretty good.

And any recommend hairstylist so far? I always go for the anime-like asian hair look, and it seems most here don't have the experience.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my brother goes to a tailor named Tam on Ellis street. he says that there are 3 or 4 very close to each other.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my brother goes to a tailor named Tam on Ellis street. he says that there are 3 or 4 very close to each other.
Way to dig up an old thread, but thanks Globetrotter. I've just altered a few items and the end result was excellent. The tailor certainly knows his stuff, and friendly service as well.

Now if someone can point me in the direction of a good hairstylist. Am I consigned to visit salons where the rest of the customers are female?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no problem - just be sure to get out before it gets cold

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads