• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wingtips: why do you wear them?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont' own a pair and pardon me if I say this but what is the hype with these shoes? I understand they're a "classic" shoe and are always worn with suits but maybe due to my age, I've always worn boots or dress loafers/oxfords w/suits.

Also, are you only supposed to wear pants that have cuffs with wingtips?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear them because I like them. They are not always worn with suits, or even the most appropriate shoe for a suit. They are just a timeless shoe...I prefer a longwing.

Mike

shanker

Reaction score
depends a lot on the maker. many "classic" wingtips like AE are imo, "chunky" and have an "old man" vibe to them. then there are some makes with a more narrow toe and thinner waist that put a modern spin on the "classic" look which i enjoy.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might ask ... why does one wear any shoe?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I wear them because I like them. They are not always worn with suits, or even the most appropriate shoe for a suit. They are just a timeless shoe...I prefer a longwing.

Mike

^^^ This...

I have a fetish for good looking (sometimes even not so good looking) brogue/wingtip/longwings.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin

Mike

+1! Long live the longwing...

bjornb17

Reaction score
I'm 26 and just got some AE Bel Air wingtips in black. Are they too old-man for me?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me wear them because they look good and are very different to many shoe this day.
People alway look at wingtip shoe,
make person stand out.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I'm 26 and just got some AE Bel Air wingtips in black. Are they too old-man for me?
Me think yes.
Wait another 10 or 15 year.

shanker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17

style is subjective. it is up to you to decide what works for you, what fits you....blahblahblah...

again, imo, AE tend to be too chunky for my tastes. of course, ymmv.

both are wingtips, but clearly they are not the same style:

AE

TBNY

ktrp

Reaction score
Do you really mean wingtips, or just brogued shoes in general (i.e. the punchhole decorations).

Brogued shoes are less formal, not more formal, then a plain dressy shoe. So its not like you 'have only worn boots and loafers and oxfords' without stepping up to wingtips, wingtips actually fall in the middle of that spectrum. You certainly never _need_ to wear them. People wear them if they like the look.

They were originally more of a 'country' style shoe. The holes let the bog water out after you wandered across the moor back to your estate.

Since cuffs are also a 'country' look (turned up cuffs so your pants don't get muddy in the horse paddock, obviously
) the two certainly can go together.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this thread was meant for brogued shoes but I confused them with wingtips.

I'll admit, I like the style of the shoe but then again, something is holding me back from really loving it and I can't figure out why.

lambchop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp

They were originally more of a 'country' style shoe. The holes let the bog water out after you wandered across the moor back to your estate.

I thought that was hilarious so I looked it up.

In case anyone cares Wikipedia had this to add: "The word "brogues" originates in the late sixteenth century and is a derivation of the Irish and Scots Gaelic "brōg", taken from the Old Norse "brók" meaning "leg covering"."

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 82 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 160 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 41 8.5%