• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wingtips, what brand?

streetlord

Reaction score
I want to buy a pair of wingtips. I only wear my shoes to work, and have 3 pairs of AE and some ferragamo loafers. I would like to get something different as I am sick of AE's. Is Alden the next step? Is it possible to get Alden's on sale like AE? I am thinking of some black wingtips from alden, in either calf, or cordovan. Should I spend the extra money on cordovan? Since these are just black shoes, is it even worth upgrading to alden than ae? I like AE fine, but I feel like I need to try a different brand at least.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

streetlord

Reaction score
So I see others have this question. Well what about the difference in an Alden cordovan, and a C&J calf. I imagine these would be around the same price? I mean I am not looking at EG or Vass or anything, I am just bored with AE. I think Alden is the middle between EG and AE? IS there any other shoe around Alden price?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Florsheim longwings could be a fun option. You've never seen how sturdy a gunboat can be until you've played around with an old Imperial. Double sole, pebble grain or cordovan. Great shoes.

streetlord

Reaction score
Wow, those are nice, which are those? Why do you have so many of the same shoe?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I see others have this question. Well what about the difference in an Alden cordovan, and a C&J calf. I imagine these would be around the same price? I mean I am not looking at EG or Vass or anything, I am just bored with AE. I think Alden is the middle between EG and AE? IS there any other shoe around Alden price?

There are so many decent shoes available at the $500-$700 price range (similar to Aldens). Any of the major UK brands in this price range are good shoes, as are Carminas from Spain.

Probably the very best in terms of construction/quality/value in this price range are Vass.

Sounds like you need to do some homework and read some threads!

:)

The OneShoe rulz! :foo:

PS - I forgot to mention - the Crockett and Jones Finsbury in Shell is a FINE shoe.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin cordovan longwings are 290 Euros (inc. VAT) which seems like a ridiculous price for cordovan. As I'm debating ordering a pair myself, I just thought I'd share the photos they sent me. The cordovan is not Horween though and apparently is sourced from Argentina. The shoes are made in Spain.

Fred

Last edited:

streetlord

Reaction score
Well I ended up buying some AE cambridges in black, because with a GC I had they were 200. My next pair of shoes will still be some wingtips, definitely cordovan bulchers, most likely those alden longwings, i really like those. Can you wear bulchers with dress pants? I dress biz casual maybe 3 or 4 days out of the week, the other 1 or two are suits, are bulchers ok to wear with like a nice shirt and pair of trousers? Sometimes I cant tell if they are more appropriate for chinos.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
Hi, do you have a fashion forward style? AE/Alden/EG are pretty conservative styling whereas Ferragamo's are more fashion forward. Your statements being "bored" of AE makes it sound you may like Sutor Mantellasi, Carmina, or Santoni. Not sure if that's what you are looking for though. The Alden's in plaza last look nice and not boring imo.

Snedley

Reaction score
I want to buy a pair of wingtips. I only wear my shoes to work, and have 3 pairs of AE and some ferragamo loafers. I would like to get something different as I am sick of AE's. Is Alden the next step? Is it possible to get Alden's on sale like AE? I am thinking of some black wingtips from alden, in either calf, or cordovan. Should I spend the extra money on cordovan? Since these are just black shoes, is it even worth upgrading to alden than ae? I like AE fine, but I feel like I need to try a different brand at least.

It's possible to get anything on sale but if you have to worry about the price then they're out of your class. Forget the dorky looking wingtips because no elite man wears them these days. Theonly place you'll see them is in GQ mag or on cubicle working drones. But if you really must buy these clutzy looking eyesores than I'd suggest that you get a slip on model or the lightest possible one made by Bally or Ferrigamo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads