• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wingtips Go With...

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
I've gotten complimented on a pair of RL Polo pajama bottoms and thrift store flannel shirt that I wore to the supermarket when I had a cold, took off from work and went to the CVS to get cold medicine.

Compliments should never be an accurate judge of something looking good. Empty comments from ugly girls trying to get on your **** have no place here. This forum is littered with "I wore a satin tie, AA tee, H&M sports coat and clown pants to my algebra class and have gotten nothing but compliments." When's it gonna end?

(Half serious. I'm sure the boots are wonderful.)

I am actually a member of a secret cabal of people who compliment horrible clothing choices just to perpetuate them for our own amusement.

A similar group almost single handedly sustained the population of the mullet haircut for well over a decade.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on burgundy wingtips, I have a pair of trickers monk with wingtip in burgundy and they go really well with raw denim (mine are april 77).

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
I'm considering these:

http://www.martinandosa.com/web/brow...ctId=4250_0889

those look kinda weird and probably aren't too well made. if you have the money, go with something that would make a better investment. on the cheaper end, Allen Edmonds would be nice; on the higher end, Aldens are some of the best shoes around (especially the shell cordovans).

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doc Martin longwings are a nice alternative for casual and dressy.

31%2ByIBxRbrL._AA280_.jpg

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes, but only really if you're going for the mod/oi look. I don't think the gimongous soles would work well in a dressy setting. I know the dude doesn't get much love (especially on SW&D), but mafoofan recently posted a thread about buying about 7 pairs of cordovan Alden longwings and never wearing anything else.
975.jpg

michaelp123

Reaction score
me too, not a fan of the longwing. I have a pair of these bad-boys. From Brooks Brothers, cost a small fortune, but built to last.. this is a serious shoe that will probably last me a 1/4 century.
Picture1.png
I think they're actually made by C&J.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
those look kinda weird and probably aren't too well made. if you have the money, go with something that would make a better investment. on the cheaper end, Allen Edmonds would be nice; on the higher end, Aldens are some of the best shoes around (especially the shell cordovans).
I can actually speak to the brown suede version of this shoe. Got it today. No blemishes or flaws. Rubber sole, removable padded insole, suede is not great quality but isn't un-uniform, splotchy or of multiple grains like super cheap suede shoes. I have a feeling the suede does a lot to belie the overall cheapness the way the black couldn't. Up close, the black would look like what the shoe is, a cheap impersonation of a classic shoe. At 32 bucks, I think the suede is a great beater barhopping oxford. EDIT: Wore them last night. They run big. I wear an 11.5-12 in most dress shoes, 11 in chucks. Ordered these in an 11.5 and they fit like a 12.5 or larger. Large ankle opening doesn't help things.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Doc Martin longwings are a nice alternative for casual and dressy.

31%2ByIBxRbrL._AA280_.jpg

A friend of mine has these, but without the yellow stich and the light color lug sole, a thinner black sole instead. Looks really good, wouldnt mind myself. A really heavy looking long wing, perfect with jeans.

JO3B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
I am actually a member of a secret cabal of people who compliment horrible clothing choices just to perpetuate them for our own amusement. A similar group almost single handedly sustained the population of the mullet haircut for well over a decade.
i want in on this. where does i sign up? also, BB shoes are made by various makers. not just AS.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
A friend of mine has these, but without the yellow stich and the light color lug sole, a thinner black sole instead. Looks really good, wouldnt mind myself. A really heavy looking long wing, perfect with jeans.

That describes exactly the longwing I want. Now to find it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads