• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wingtip shoes without a tie?

lightox

Reaction score
I recently got a pair of black wingtip shoes because I wanted to have some new shoes to the job. The first day it was pretty obvious that people dressed a lot more casually than I had expected. Nobody wears ties to work. If I'm not wearing a tie, would it look okay to wear black wingtips with trousers and a shirt?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do it all the time, if they are a blucher (open lacing) instead of a balmoral (closed lacing), it makes them even more casual.

lightox

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. Actually they're closed lacing. Do you think it's still fine to wear?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closed lacing is typically for suits, but if you are wearing slacks/trousers (i.e. not chinos or jeans) and a dress shirt, then I think you are safe. Quite frankly, I doubt anyone will notice the lacing.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

Closed lacing is typically for suits, but if you are wearing slacks/trousers (i.e. not chinos or jeans) and a dress shirt, then I think you are safe. Quite frankly, I doubt anyone will notice the lacing.

This is absolutely not true. yes bulchers are more casual but it doesnt look off or strange, it's a matter of preference. personally I dont like bulchers and wouldnt even wear them with jeans simply because i do not like the look of them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 109 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%