• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wingtip shoes, oldish?

FCS

Reaction score
Anyone here in their mid-20s wear wingtips, proudly? I've been avoiding wingtips like a plague but again up until last month I would never wear any shoes other than black. Time to experiment a bit perhaps?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll wear wingtips and other brogues... I'm 28, I also wear captoes quite often with or without suits, most of my shoes are black but I have some cordovan and brown as well.

Ed13

Reaction score
I have been wearing wingtips since my twenties and I really like the style. I have used the notion that the level of broguing on a shoe helps determine its level of formality with heavily brogued shoes being more informal. A wingtip is an ideal shoe which can be heavily brogued and therefore very versatile.

I would say go for it.

SS1088

Reaction score
I think I would reserve wingtips for the office but never just casual wear. They are pretty much the official business shoe.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtips are great for any age. A pair in cordovan would be ideal, or suede. Look at the pair of Yanko's that another member just posted pics of.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Brogues are actually more informal than, say, captoes. Many country shoes are brogued, which is where brogueing started. Look at Tricker's line on Pediwear, for example. Personally, I'm not a fan of black wingtips, but I have learned great appreciation for brown and suede. I think they can be dressed down quite well, especially those without closed laces or suede models.

[Full disclosure, I speak as someone in my mid-30s.]

FCS

Reaction score
Drizzt, you're 28? Wow, didn't expect that.

And thanks everyone for the opinion.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've started carrying wingtips again at the shop, and have been selling them to 'younger' customers. Â Captoes are still the most popular for my 'typical' customer. Â I grabbed myself these:
rmwing.jpg

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last two Bergdorf catalogs show younger models wearing heavy brogued wingtips (not smooth captoes) with all kinds of clothes in both summer and winter weights.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
I remember in the mid-80s or thereabouts (s'all a blur), a cool thing to do was find a pair of large, serious wingtips at a thrift store. Worn so they had a patina like antique wood but not so beat that they let weather in. And pound around in them babies. I always liked the authority of the thick soles and the hard rubber heels and something that looked like they had some history to them. I'd wear them with jeans or whatever and a sport jacket -- tweed worked well. That was when I was young. Now, I, well, I, uh, wear the same damn thing, I guess.

I really need to do something about this arrested development.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Various designers offer a pointed chisel toe type wing-tip that might appeal to a younger set.

I.e. Cesare Paciotti, Gucci, Sergio Rossi, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads