Wings + Horns - - - Fall / Winter 2013

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Dbear, Apr 19, 2013.

1. MonsieurLock

MonsieurLock Senior member

Any photos up of the store?

2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yeah, the sample sale was there last year. Sort of an obscure location, but probably has a low overhead cost. Roden Gray's stock has been pretty shitty lately, so hopefully these guys hold up the load... and maybe pull stuff for the "heavily invested return customers".

3. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

Photos from the Wings & Horns facebook page:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. superego

superego Senior member

space looks nice

$1000 topcoats are starting to make sense now.

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Gdl's offering hand made rain coats for less than that. Not to mention MMM/Dries etc. type stuff on sale hits around $1000.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

This conversation about price is silly. W+H prices its stuff-- even the 950 cad coats-- within the same ballpark as other midrange brands like R&B, APC, Barena etc. If you wanted a similar item from an established house like mmm, Jil, etc, the price would be at least $1700 give or take $100. If anything, everyone's prices have risen regardless of "tier", a phenomenon that's been pretty well documented, though maybe we could count folks like Schneider as an exception. But either way, Wings + Horns isn't on some renegade price-increasing rampage that's out of step with its peers. And you're not paying established-house prices for Wings + Horns.

7. superego

superego Senior member

your mid-tier net is a bit larger than mine, but not withstanding...apc and barena are both ~$2-400 cheaper based on a quick google.

I think the issue most folks are responding to here is price inflation due to increasing popularity. it's bound to happen, and frankly if I ran a clothing company, I'd likely attempt to hit the same tap, but w+h seems to be doing it in a slightly excessive manner.

I'm not even saying the quality isn't good or has deteriorated, but at $1000+, I need something special to justify the cost aside from solid construction.

8. Bam!ChairDance

There are two statements here that we need to keep separate:

1. W+H's price increase is out-of-step with the perceived quality.

2. W+H's price increases are excessive relative to the category

The first statement is pretty subjective and totally your call, but look around most webstores and the second statement will fall apart pretty quickly. Commenters have made it seem as if W+H has been an exception with regard to price increases, when really it's been a category-wide phenomenon.

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

IIRC APC has something similar for ~ $700 I saw at a local B&M.

10. Mehmet Korkmaz

Mehmet Korkmaz Senior member

I think that it also hinges upon the fact that W+H doesn't carry the appearance of a 'high fashion' brand; it focusses on basics, repeats the same fabrics/styles, and up to a point, was priced fairly reasonably if you were to look at it from a quality standpoint. By that, I mean that it was a huge step up in fabrics and construction from mall brands, for a justifiable premium. I know that's how I came across W+H, anyway.

11. superego

superego Senior member

price increases have happened and will continue to, but 20+% increases are anything from industry standard.

12. Bam!ChairDance

Dunno man the industry standard is a little grimmer than you think. Check out this article from Business of Fashion:

13. superego

superego Senior member

two things:
    (1) w+h isn't manolo blahnik...nor margiela, nor rick...it's not a 'fashion' brand.
    (2) even a 56% price increase on manolo over the course of 5 years equates a ~10% yearly increase, not 20+% increase on a mid tier brand like w+h

bed time...holla, ngas

14. Bam!ChairDance

Either way, it's senseless to talk about W+H's price increases without taking into account the market forces driving up prices everywhere in the category. Y'all are talking about 950 CAD melton coats as if they're an aberration, but really it's part of a much broader phenomenon, regardless of how many $700 melton wool coats you can still find on the market.

Like, if the brand's prices no longer reflect what you feel the quality should be worth, that's cool whatever. But you can't reasonably claim the prices have reached some stratospheric height that stands apart from the industry as a whole.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

15. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

Sorry who is "GDL" ?

Thanks.