1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wings + Horns F/W 2010

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wurlwyde, Jul 19, 2010.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I said the brand was going to shit. Never mentioned quality. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a drop in quality soon follows this move.

We all know country-of-origin as Canada is an important part of W+H's identity. Don't pretend that country-of-origin is negligible for this brand. W+H decided to move some of their operations to fucking China - probably b/c costs were getting out of hand - and that's a desperate move for a brand whose identity is deeply rooted in Canadiana.

"Made in Supernatural BC" vs. "Made in Supercontaminated CN"

I was going to bring this up with Craig when I spoke with him earlier in the spring, but I didn't have my hard-hitting reporter's hat on, and I was visiting their headquarters as a friend, so I didn't bother. It should be noted that no one has criticized their denim, which has been made in Japan for years, (though I've heard that production might be brought home,) so it's clearly the negative implications of "Made in China" that is the root of the problem, not that goods are not "Made in Canada." Wings+Horns is not a company like, for example, Engineered Garments or Yuketen, for whom the "Made in America" tag is an indelible part of the brand identity.

Ultimately, I think that it probably came down to costs and the difficulty in finding adequate production facilities at home. It's not easy for a smaller company to bring in a down jacket with that amount of detailing in at under $500 retail or a cashmere sweater for under $300. I think that going to some Chinese manufacture is a pretty understandable for a company moving beyond its core strengths to try to put out a full line.

FWIW, I saw a lot of the samples (not the production pieces yet) earlier this year, and I thought that they were really nice, particularly the cashmere sweatshirt style sweater, which I will be getting.

2. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

3. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

Ultimately, I think that it probably came down to costs and the difficulty in finding adequate production facilities at home. It's not easy for a smaller company to bring in a down jacket with that amount of detailing in at under $800 retail or a cashmere sweater for under $300. I think that going to some Chinese manufacture is a pretty understandable for a company moving beyond its core strengths to try to put out a full line.
    Well, I think the jacket looks even better irl, and I was one of the first to mention this back a few pages in this thread, and ultimately I really dont care where its made, I'm getting one for myself, I just think its a bit predictable, sad and ironic for such a proudly Canadian company to pull the mic move once its well established in its niche market. Obviously qc is what separates poor levels of manufacturing from decent, good or excellent levels, and this can be had anywhere in the world including china, I guess its just easier to stomach the $800 retail price knowing it was made somewhere in the world where labor rates arent soo cheap, but in the end I'll keep supporting the brand.

4. Stagger Lee

Stagger Lee Senior member

The quality is still amazing! Nobody should judge it until they've seen it. I try not to carry anything made in China at Stel's for ethical reasons.
    That said, sometimes, for instance, with a brand like Wings &Horns, which is extremely high quality, I make an exception. If quality is really your issue, i would be more concerned with companies who outsource their work to many different countries and factories. That's where brands lose control of the quality. Going to China and finding a factory where products can be well made and monitored is what Wings & Horns has done. they still have control over how it's being produced.

5. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

i would be more concerned with companies who outsource their work to many different countries and factories. That's where brands lose control of the quality
    I am not going to judge the quality of clothes I haven't seen in person, but W+H is now made in 4 different countries - what constitutes "many" by your reckoning?

6. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

I am not going to judge the quality of clothes I haven't seen in person, but W+H is now made in 4 different countries - what constitutes "many" by your reckoning?

Which is the fourth? Canada, Japan, China I know about.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Which is the fourth? Canada, Japan, China I know about.
    Sneaks are made in Italy in CP factory, aren't they?

8. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

Sneaks are made in Italy in CP factory, aren't they?

Yeah you are correct, I forgot about that.

9. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I will take pictures and post impressions of my down vest when it arrives...should be sometime this week.

10. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Anyone want to advise as to the inseam length on this season's West Point chinos? I'm looking at sizes 31 and 32. I've looked at the previous season's measurements but have read that this season's chinos have a longer inseam.

Apologies if this is already in the thread; did a search and didn't find anything.

Other than inseam, are the other measurements more or less the same?

TIA

11. Brinbro

Brinbro Senior member

12. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

13. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

Has anyone handled the Made in China down vest in person? It's my favorite piece of the season and I'm strongly considering buying it, but if quality is not up to par then I may have to pass. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

on my list of shit to buy

14. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

15. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

Not to mention that the 32 fits like a 33 . god I love my olive 33's, but even after sagging they are too short and too big in the waist.

I really like a lot of their offerings this season, but their sizing seems to be off. Their XL crews and henleys have 21" chests, making them too small for a lot of people.

16. Oldboy

Oldboy Senior member

It's amazing how much Wings + Horns has stepped up their game over the last 3-4 years....remember when it was Spruce and W&H?

Classic fit vs. slim fit, the tiger fleece hoody frenzy, Riri vs. Lampo zippers, preorders at Peasant (whatever happened to them?), etc.

Ah, the good ol' days

17. sixsails

sixsails Senior member

are the service boots washed, distressed, or both? also, what leather are they made of this season?

thanks

18. hooya2

hooya2 Senior member

service boots are made of roo leather this season

19. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Can anyone tell me the sizing of this piece ? If im a large in there shirts and tiger hoodies is it safe to say id be a large in this ? Or does it have super short sleeves like the fleece blazer ? [​IMG]

20. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Ive got that in size medium, im 6'1 and 135lb and the shoulers fit me right when its buttoned, probably a shade too much fabric through the body for me but i am ultra skinny. Its 20" pit to pit. The sleeves are the perfect length for me on the medium, so large would definitley be long enough for you unless you are taller than me.