1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wings + Horns F/W 2010

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wurlwyde, Jul 19, 2010.

1. blank

blank Senior member

Who can give me sizing advice on the chinos?

2. jaac

jaac Senior member

I went TTS (30), they are kinda big in the waist and pretty short, just hit the tops of my shoes.

3. Ry'on

Ry'on Senior member

Whoa, I didn't realize they were making stuff in China. As well I'm a bit surprised they moved all shirting and pants to Japan... Normally I don't think that's a bad thing but considering the made in Canada was a big part of the brand, and the essence of what they are trying to do, seems a bit odd. I suppose the reasons makes sense for sure, but still...

4. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Whoa, I didn't realize they were making stuff in China. As well I'm a bit surprised they moved all shirting and pants to Japan... Normally I don't think that's a bad thing but considering the made in Canada was a big part of the brand, and the essence of what they are trying to do, seems a bit odd. I suppose the reasons makes sense for sure, but still...

Aside from the shirting/pants, which items are made in China?

5. wearemosaic

wearemosaic Well-Known Member

The Down Vest + Parka were Made in China. Also, last season's Chambray Parka was Made in China.

Can Fahim comment on this, via Rob Lo (Roden Gray owner/ W+H North America sales rep)?

I'm sure they were Made in China not for cutting production costs down, but for other reasons? I'm curious because I actually just purchased the vest. I love it and don't feel it's of inferior quality by any means. Very warm and constructed extremely well.

6. duration

duration Senior member

Who can give me sizing advice on the chinos?

If you're between 29 and 31, you can search for chino measurements in the previous season's thread. As the poster below pointed out, they are usually bigger in the waist and have shorter inseams than other chinos.

7. roundheadlights

roundheadlights Senior member

All of the down pieces from this season are made in China. I don't doubt that the quality is still high, but it's quite obvious this was done because of the production costs for this type of garment. It's a bit disconcerting though when talking about $500 vests and $800 parkas. The Ventile Down Shirt Jacket was going to be a sure purchase for me, but I'm having second thoughts. Why buy W&H MIC when I can get a similar piece from Crescent Down Works produced in my backyard? Engineered Garments down vests, at the same (or lower) price point, were produced in CANADA. Why not W&H?

8. auc2mic

auc2mic Well-Known Member

Yes, very dissapointing [​IMG]

9. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Are the season-to-season staples (e.g., henleys, sweatshirts, hoodies, blazers, fleece) still made in Canada? If so, I'll have to buy up this season, before the brand goes to shit

10. roundheadlights

Are the season-to-season staples (e.g., henleys, sweatshirts, hoodies, blazers, fleece) still made in Canada? If so, I'll have to buy up this season, before the brand goes to shit

Based on what I've seen those items are still made in Canada. Not sure about the wool pieces though.

11. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

is there any difference between the SS and AW offerings of the tiger hoodies? im confused with all the terry and tiger models.

thanks

anyone, thanks!

12. Meis

Meis Senior member

[​IMG] Not necessarily at you personally...

But I hate all this "oh its made in China it must be absolute shit" way of thinking. It's not like theres a single factory in China that makes everything. If you don't want to buy something made there for ethical/political reasons, okay I can understand that.
    But here's plenty of stuff made in China that is of high quality... dismissing something solely because its made in China is just retarded.

13. Rover!

Rover! Senior member

^ +1, saying that every Chinese worker is incapable of producing a quality product is nonsense. There's a lot of poorly made stuff produced over here as well.

14. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

I said the brand was going to shit. Never mentioned quality. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a drop in quality soon follows this move.

We all know country-of-origin as Canada is an important part of W+H's identity. Don't pretend that country-of-origin is negligible for this brand. W+H decided to move some of their operations to fucking China - probably b/c costs were getting out of hand - and that's a desperate move for a brand whose identity is deeply rooted in Canadiana.

15. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

16. auc2mic

auc2mic Well-Known Member

Worst. Decision. Ever

17. Oldboy

Oldboy Senior member

Has anyone handled the Made in China down vest in person? It's my favorite piece of the season and I'm strongly considering buying it, but if quality is not up to par then I may have to pass. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

Yeah, we have one in store, it is just as good as any other W+H pieces in the past. As somebody already said, the chambray parka last season was the first piece that was produced outside of Canada. The archive line is still made in Canada, and a lot of the pieces in the research line are now being produced in Japan, so I don't think that the brand is going to go to shit any time soon, just branch out and do things differently than they have in the past. Also, +1 to Meis' comments. For example, Garbstore in the UK is proud to manufacture in China, since they have sought out a really good place for production. The archival line t-shirts dropped significantly in price, and as far as I can tell they are almost the same as last season albeit with a couple of detail changes. It seems like they are trying to separate the two lines and offer their basics for a really good price, and continue to innovate with the research line(such as the ventile suit last season.)

19. roundheadlights

This isn't about quality, not yet anyway. This is about the brand. Only a few pieces are being produced in China, I'm more concerned that the bulk of this season has been outsourced. I have no qualms with the quality/ethics of pieces being made in Japan, I take issue because Wings & Horns style, design, and production is rooted in B.C. Canada. They became successful with this model, why outsource? Not sure why people are feeling the need to defend Chinese labor. Should everything be produced there? I don't think anyone is saying anything made in China is shit, and I'm pretty confident that the W&H offerings are good evidence to the contrary. There are other reasons not to support things that are produced there. Those reasons may be largely based on emotion, but so are decisions to purchase $200 flannels and $500 "fashion" jackets.

20. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

This isn't about quality, not yet anyway. This is about the brand. Only a few pieces are being produced in China, I'm more concerned that the bulk of this season has been outsourced. I have no qualms with the quality/ethics of pieces being made in Japan, I take issue because Wings & Horns style, design, and production is rooted in B.C. Canada. They became successful with this model, why outsource?

Not sure why people are feeling the need to defend Chinese labor. Should everything be produced there? I don't think anyone is saying anything made in China is shit, and I'm pretty confident that the W&H offerings are good evidence to the contrary. There are other reasons not to support things that are produced there. Those reasons may be largely based on emotion, but so are decisions to purchase $200 flannels and $500 "fashion" jackets.

I can see where you're coming from, personally I don't mind the changes, but I can see why it would bother some people. I'm all for some made in Canada and some made in Japan pieces, and to be honest I'm not excited by the change to made in China for certain pieces, but it wouldn't dissuade me from purchasing any of them. My Garbstore chinos are some of the best constructed pants I've ever owned, and they are made in China. Another Canadian brand that went this route is Arc'Teryx, and although they were purchased by an Adidas holding(and subsequently sold in 05) and began to outsource to China, they still produce the same high quality goods as they always have.