• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wings + Horns F/W 2010

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think it looks too tight for what it is. I love slim as much as the next guy, but a hoodie shouldn't be THAT slim. Personally, I think a size up is in order.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a close call judging by the pic..

The issue is, in my opinion, it looks fine with just a t-shirt underneath - or something very thin. In my own case, where weather is normally between 20F-40F in the Winter - I only do wear a t shirt. A henley or crew neck long sleeve T at most (the hoodie and t shirt being the base. with a light jacket or cardigan over that, and then a shell). But anything more than that (t-shirt), with a fit that snug, you risk it feeling uncomfortable..

I don't advocate wearing button down collared shirts with hoodies, but if you did, for whatever reason -- the arms get all bunched up due to the w+h sweaters slim arms and cause it to feel awkward and uncomfortable. Come to think of it, that goes for all my w+h stuff from recent years - especially this year (sans the terry looped stuff which has a ton of stretch). If I want to wear a ocbd beneath anything (again, sans terry), including the cashmere sweater, it doesn't work. So I have to wear a short sleeved button down in those cases. I have like 50 long sleeved, and about 3 short sleeved. So that's a PITA. But hey. I even recently bought a plain white Gant rugger white OCBD to wear under my cashmere for work. Woke up, put on the ocbd, and the sweater just refused to fit over top without looking and feeling funny.

"I think a size up is in order"

Possibly right... Just depends on that P2P feeling, how easy it zips up (stressing the zipper around the chest?) and how your range of arm motion is...also..does Aries ever plan on wearing this with anything other than a t-shirt beneath it. Can you see yourself gaining 5 or 10 lbs this winter...stuff like that.

/w+h gibberish.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah my W+H hoodie doesn't go with button down shirts at all.

culture

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries83
photo-2.jpg

definitely dont size up, its not too tight at all. the shoulder seam already falls a bit past your shoulders & the sleeves are long enough. itll look ill fitting, especially in the shoulders if you go up a size.

It looks good to wear with a tee/ls/henley under, anything thicker and it wont, but who wears a sweater under a sweater anyway?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culture
definitely dont size up, its not too tight at all. the shoulder seam already falls a bit past your shoulders & the sleeves are long enough. itll look ill fitting, especially in the shoulders if you go up a size.

It looks good to wear with a tee/ls/henley under, anything thicker and it wont, but who wears a sweater under a sweater anyway?

Co-sign, agree. All valid points and well put.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culture

A size up won't look ill-fitting necessarily on such a slim fitting garment if seem falls past the shoulder a bit, a little more slouchy yes, but not necessarily ill fitting. These hoodies have ninja cuffs which can get folded up as well remember. If it were a more roomy or conservative fitting garment then agreed a size up would prob look bad. I only own one hoodie (EG thermal lined Workaday) in a size up from normal with an undershirt, long sleeve tee, then a heavy thermal on colder days and the fit is still slim, but not constricting. It's all subjective though and dependant upon how he feels most importantly obviously and what he would pair with.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
^ I think it looks too tight for what it is. I love slim as much as the next guy, but a hoodie shouldn't be THAT slim. Personally, I think a size up is in order.

No - it'll stretch out a lot. I have a tiger fleece and the sleeves were very tight at first, but now they're just right. I expect the same would happen in this case, especially if the OP layers under it.

CEE88

Reaction score

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
good to know. how's the fit? I've been in the market for a couple of pairs -- also looking at Bill's (style M3) http://www.billskhakis.com/ and these http://www.jackdonnellykhakis.com/ and maybe even trying a pair of these http://shop.acontinuouslean.com/coll...painters-pants

Just be aware that comparing Bill's Khaki's to W+H's is going to be a world of difference in fit. W+H are extremely tight fitting through the legs (note not the butt/seat and waist - just the legs). While Bill's I believe to be more of a traditional, full cut pant. The McNairy's I've always felt to be priced too high in my opinion compared against other pants you could get for sub 200 bucks. These too are very slim, like W+H. A bunch of those painters pants made it somewhere else too. Maybe tres bien. Coincidentally the same time the stock on ACL dwindled. Not familiar with Jack D khaki's but appear to be of the same ilk of Bill's.

so you need to basically decide if you want some nut-huggin chinos or if you want something a bit more relaxed..

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a tiger fleece hoodie in medium (which is for sale now) and it is damn snug. I own and wear other W+H stuff in medium but this isn't even close. I'd like to size up but i think the sleeves on a large would be too long. Is this the norm for these things? I really want one but I'm wondering if I can make it work

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
you can roll/fold a good 2-3" on the sleeves it's modular like that

Aries83

Reaction score
Hey chaps! Whoa, thanks for all the feedback, I was really just posting it as a reference fit for any others buying the hoody.

For me, I really quite like the fit. The feel is fitted but it in no way feels constricting, it feels just right, and definitely feels like it's got some stretch in it to boot. No problem in zipping it all the way to the top (these zips are fantastic by the way, riri? Never heard of them but great).

And yes, I only plan on wearing tees underneath, it's so warm, if I need a jacket over it, so be it, but I'd never wear anything but a tee or henley at most under a hoody.

Brinbro

Reaction score
Button up with a tiger fleece would be tragic, but paired with some of their solid colored hoodies I'm sure you could make it work - if you wanted to.

nghiem

Reaction score
Like slack said earlier, the only hoodie that has substantial stretch is the loop terry. It fit very snug at first, especially in the sleeves, but has started to stretch very nicely after a few wears. I dig the arm stacks that resulted from the slimmer fit. It's not too slim, though, as I can fit a BD underneath with minimal trouble. Just gotta make sure you hang onto the sleeves and pull through a bit to make sure the shoulders don't bunch up too much. Here's a pic of me in the hoodie/BD/bonus corded cloth pants that my friend took for his portfolio. Sorry for the crosspost of this pic in the WvG thread
5.jpg

Psydelik

Reaction score
I don't understand this talk about not being able to put a button down under a TF hoodie. I do it and I think it looks great. The hoodie is snug, but not to the point where I can't layer an oxford under it. If in doubt, leave the hoodie open. Doesn't look quite as good, but I still dig it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads