Wings + Horns F/W 2010

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wurlwyde, Jul 19, 2010.

1. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

I think urallmorons meant last seasons chambray mountain parka, not the new one. there wasnt one for f/w. these I've got some fit and detailed pics of the jacket. I don't want to overload the thread with pics, but I'll post them being Roden still has probably at least 6 to sell...and at a good cost. There's one member selling an indigo in size M on buy/sell as well for a fair price, everything considered..

2. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

The Chambray Mountain parka is from S/S is it not?

^^beat me by a few seconds

3. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

I've been catching shit for posting too many pictures. I like details and content driven material but understand superfluous use of photos can be obnoxious and annoying. If you want me to delete or hide the pics just say so. No worries - no problems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't had the jacket too awfully long, or really put it through too much of a test -- but the quality of the fabric and quality of construction is top notch. The few times I've gotten out in the rain in it, it wicks water right off - no real issues. Water can enter the chambray but has not penetrated the dintex liner. The waterproof membrane they incorporated into the jacket is by DINTEX:

http://www.dingzing.com.tw/DINTEX/english/index.html

(that^ was a quick link I pulled - probably a lot of reviews on Dintex though if you look around).

The inside of the chambray shell is lined with the membrane and all seems are reinforced with what appears to be some sort of waterproof adhesive that is securely bonded for extra protection -- looks like tape.

The jacket will hold up, I can tell. The fabric, externally (100% cotton chambray) is tough and rugged. It will not pile and is very smooth to the touch. It feels durable and unless you really put it up against some serious stress, it should stay in tact for a while.

A couple other things to point out..

-- The photos I took of myself was in the black shell - not the indigo (which appears to be the color the forum member is selling). So just know that one is lightish blue, where as mine is lightish black. Roden has them both so you can get an accurate color comparison.

-- Remember it's just a shell. I remember first opening mine, and being like, "damn", this thing is really, really thin. Thinner than it looks in pictures. But it's for layering of course, and that's what I use it for. I got it in a medium specifically for that purpose. I like to wear a t shirt, a button down, a cardigan, then the shell on top. So I needed a little room to accommodate the layers and you should remember that too if you're contemplating your sizing strategy.

-- It's an amazing looking jacket. I have had strangers ask me about it. My girlfriend loves it. My mom even loves it, and she's never really on board with my clothes.

-- For me the jacket is more fashion over function. While I just detailed that it's a sturdy, waterproof shell -- if I were really, really in conditions where staying dry was of critical importance, I would go the Arctery'x route -- or just one of the more tried & true waterproof shell manufacturers. If the w+h jacket was put side by side with a comparatively priced gore-tex shell, I think the gore-tex would win. But the gore-tex arcteryx, mountain hard wear, etc has nothing on the w+h shell in the looks department (in my opinion).

-- One piece of the jacket I am not thrilled with is the zipper (like a lot of the w/h recently since they moved away from lampo and RiRis). I think it's a not too special or substantial YKK zipper. It does the job, but I thought the jacket warranted a nicer one. But remember it does button and zip, which is nice.

4. alex99

alex99 Senior member

I can't see why people would bitch about you posting pics unless they were really big pictures that slowed down the site. Pics are one of the most useful things about a forum like this, especially when the clothing is limited and may not be available for many to see or try on in person.

5. URALLMORONS

URALLMORONS Senior member

I was asking about the Wool Blazer. I own(ed) the Mountain Parka. Just sold it and about to buy a new one in a L.

6. Aries83

Aries83 Senior member

Just received the navy flannel shirt from Tres Bien (fantastic quick service). Bought in an 'L', I'm 6'2, 40' chest. [​IMG] edit: uploaded to photobucket, hopefully shows now...

7. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Nice fit, Aries. I have it in red and am about to pick it up in that same Navy -- really like that. Nice to see it looking good on a bigger guy as I was afraid the length might be a little short for people over 6' -- but again, looks awesome on you. edit; here is my red. size small. 5'8" 130lbs. [​IMG]

8. Aries83

Aries83 Senior member

Cheers slack tide, that red looks great on you, I'm very tempted to get it myself now, but can't possibly justify it!

9. velomane

velomane Senior member

[​IMG]

Hey slack tide,

What trousers are those, and, more importantly, what's the watch?

10. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Hey, they're actually the wings + horns SS 2010 Ventile field pant as were sold here on context. They are super, super slim. But very comfortable. Great spring time and fall pants. The cotton material has a coating that wicks moisture pretty effectively. I wish w+h would once again align their inseam lengths with waist sizes versus a standard 32"+ inseam (stating this as a shorter person at 5'8"). Tough to find a fit like this without tailoring, which I'm not too hot on.

The watch is a Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 42mm. You can see detailed shots at the bottom of this page.

If you actually look into the watch, realize it looks much, much better than all of the internet stock photos will lead you to believe. Great versatile watch that can be worn just as well with a flannel as it can with business formal.

11. Aries83

Aries83 Senior member

Quick question guys - as the above is my first flannel shirt, I'm not quite sure what jacket goes well with it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for jackets that go particularly well with flannels?

12. velomane

velomane Senior member

The watch is a Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 42mm.

Thanks for the info. I really like that line of Hamiltons. At a glance, I thought you were wearing an IWC.

Mike

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...just got a pair of the wool chinos from four horsemen- look and feel great, however you might consider sizing down folks, if you're thinking of buying.

13. BRMC_doves

BRMC_doves Senior member

Hey Slack, that jacket looks bad ass! I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of that piece, but that's just from seeing pics online. Looks great, especially in that lighting.

Are you 5'8 w/o shoes? I may grab that flannel in navy. It seems like a perfect fit on you...was it already washed/dried when that pic was taken? I'm 5'8 w/o shoes and wouldn't wsnt it to sit dny higher than it does on you. Then again, the most important thing to me is how the shoulders fit, so a small might be my only option.

14. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Meh, I think I'll pass on the mountain parka. Thought I'll get it on discount at RG but don't look it'll work out that well given its fit.

15. Aries83

Aries83 Senior member

Hey guys, does anyone own the wool chinos? I want to buy the black wool chinos in 32 but it seems like the leg is about a 31 on them, and I'm a 32 minimum - http://havenshop.ca/products/wool-chino Can anyone advise? edit: Also, with a 40' chest, what size should I go for in the Wool Fleece Sport Coat?