1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wings + Horns F/W 2010

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wurlwyde, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Lmao, made it to 4 minutes.

2. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

Lmao, made it to 4 minutes.

lol so funny i gotta listen to it when i'm feeling like sleeping.

3. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

lol @ watch idiot savant talk

wis talk is cool.

4. vphn

vphn New Member

Looking to purchase W+H service boots.. Any idea when/where to buy? Also do they fit tts?

5. Local_Disk

Local_Disk Senior member

6. vinz

vinz New Member

Thanks for the comments, good and bad. The podcast is long, it's not for everybody, and the sound quality isn't good which I don't apologize for. Lots of people just play it in the background while they work.

As for as information involving W+H, Brian mentioned how a co-worker figured out to wash the Dayton boot to give the look they wanted, he also mentions how the mill created tiger fleece by accident and how the owner of CYC named the fleece after the rib fabric. It starts at around the 22 minute mark to the 40 minute mark.

7. BE715

BE715 Well-Known Member

Brinbro,

Im interested in purchasing the Chabanel Cardigan online, but i dont know how it fits. Would you mind giving me your height and waist size so i can get an idea of what size to get. Thanks!

8. ma1

ma1 Senior member

any thoughts on this seasons henleys? i want to get one but there's a variety of fabrics and I can't really handle them so I'm having trouble deciding which to get.

9. sixsails

sixsails Senior member

are the boots only washed or are they washed + distressed?

10. Brinbro

Brinbro Senior member

BE: I went with medium; I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs. It fits me perfectly, honestly better than previous seasons mediums and those were almost impeccable if not a little tight. Great piece, I encourage you to get it.

ma1: Not liking the henley's placket, they look similar to a Wal-Mart house brand. Unless you're getting the double layer which is pretty amazing just because of the fabric I can't recommend them. Fabric is light too, so if you like the look of henley's I can't imagine them being much else but a layering piece - which is fine.

11. BE715

BE715 Well-Known Member

Good looking out BrinBro. Thanks!

12. werdswerf

werdswerf Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a store that has the chinos in khaki in size 28 or 29? Thanks for the help!

13. bob99

bob99 Senior member

I just ordered the sueded Tiger Fleece Pullover from Roden Grey, in black. I already have a Tiger Fleece hoodie, so this will be a nice addition that's a bit different.

http://www.rodengray.com/shop/Sueded...variantid=2453

I also added another W+H t-shirt to the order too. I loves me some Wings and Horns!

14. null0x

null0x Well-Known Member

15. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Hi All. New here. Though have enjoyed reading these discussions for a while now. Wanted to chime in with my own assessment of the W + H F/W 2010 line. I've been lucky enough to acquire a few pieces from RG and few other US Domestic sources. Overall I am very impressed. These are nice sweaters. On par with the quality of year's past. A few observations: -- The henleys and crew necks. These seem to most widely available and thus possibly manufactured garments of the season. They appear to be everywhere. Reports have been coming in, and the sites are describing these as extremely slim fitting, size up, etc. I do agree with this to an extent, but be warned, these things stretch. When I first opened one (size medium) and pulled it out I thought I made a mistake and ordered a child's small. It was tiny. But I crammed into it, and it fit nice. Snug, but nice. Over the course of the first night though, after simple wear, and slight tugging, it had already stretched a full size. And I almost feel they're now too big. I'll need to wash and dry them and attempt to shrink a tad. So in my opinion, with that said, I would say TTS in these shirts considering the stretch. The custom wood buttons are a nice touch on the henleys. Quality is there. But also in my opinion, these should be primarily layering shirts. The loose neck and bottom flair create somewhat of a sloppy look. I've tried the rib knit crew with a pair of jeans, or chinos (being we're still in the mid 60's in the mid-Atlantic) and it just doesn't look right. The henley is possible to pull this off, but not so much the rib knit crews. And of course, if you don't, well, have the body for these things -- save your money. Or they're destined to spend the remainder of their lives in your closet, or straight to eBay or BST. If the model's on a lot of these sites are hardly able to pull these shirts off, than to your common man...good luck. You know that look where you don't even have man boobs, but it looks like you do. And you just take the shirt off. So layer these things. Don't wear them solo in my opinion. Unless you're Tony Horton or John Basedow...or just have zero percent body fat. I cannot comment on the double layer crew necks but they look very nice. -- The Tiger Fleece items. These are very nice. Very soft. Softer than year's past but apparently not sacrificing any build quality or construction in the process. I must emphasize that these pieces fit very, very snug. If you're on the fence between a small and a medium, for these ones -- size up, no question. You would need to be a shrunken little man to fit inside of these smalls, I would imagine. I also am preferring the shawl neck in lieu of the hooded version. Being I rarely pull my hood, I figure why not opt for the shawl so it can be worn in a business casual environment, increasing it's wear-ability and versatility. Also, the brown alternative is very nice. A nice change of pace from the standard heather gray and charcoal. Of course, headed into these winter (pale) months, browns and "oatmeals" are always a risk -- but for now this color looks great. Especially paired with dark/raw denim with a neutral button down or layering piece beneath. -- The Terry Loop Hoodies. These are probably my favorite of the season. Simply awesome. Very high quality and reflected in the price tag. The interior looped design (while nothing new) is a nice touch and adds an extra bit of warmth. There is slight distressing across the entire garment, but not overdone. These things truly feel built to last. The Terry Loop's are also slim and snug. So if between sizes, I say go up, no question. One thing to note -- and I could totally be wrong here -- but I believe I have noticed sizing inconsistencies between a heather Terry looped hoody from RG and one purchased from Need Supply. We were not able to place them side by side to compare, but my friend agreed after trying mine on that it fit larger than his RG medium (we determined it was primarily a length issue). Regardless, my medium is still slim -- so the sizing up recommendation still stands. I prefer the heather as an alternative to the charcoal. But I would also like to see the Navy option. These are great sweaters and I cannot recommend them enough. Definite keepers. -- The Wool Fleece cardigans and shawls. This is a new material which I hadn't personally seen. I am assuming a new cotton and wool blend. On Four Horse Men's site they give a great description, but is an extremely textured material. With this kind of pre-pilled look going on. First out of the box it took a moment to grow on me, but it did, and quick. In addition, the fit is impeccable. A medium is perfect (I will post my sizes at the end). The build quality is incredible as well. The buttons are sturdily stitched (always nice..). This is one you need to see in person to appreciate. Another slim fitter - so between a small and medium - size up, in my opinion. -- The new cashmere pieces. I am still waiting, but very excited. For the cashmere sweater, I did decide to stick TTS and went with a small. Cashmere should stretch with wear, and if overly snug at the first try on -- it should stretch after a day of wear. I also am expecting the hat in cashmere and pray it justifies the price tag. I am very curious and look forward to handling these two garments. As stated I cannot comment yet on the cashmere fit, but will when received. I ultimately decided to stay TTS as a result of a recommendation by RG (awesome customer service as we most all probably know). -- The pants. I have not purchased any. But have been eyeing the wool chinos and utility pant. These both possess enormous price tags but I would like to add at least one pair for the winter. My experience with W + H pants is they fit large in the waist (1" large) and the butt area. I normally size down to a 28 (would do 27" if possible, my Nudie waist size), and that still allows plenty of space to comfortably tuck in a shirt, if need be. I believe all pants for F/W'10 are running a bit big, per normal, except the slim fit cords, which I read are TTS in the waist [edit; I am redacting my comment's on the fit of 2010 chinos and pants. The reports are all over the place for each model. Do not use this section as a guide. Read the measurements on the sites or try them on in person]. A short(er) guy like me would have liked to see the shorter inseams that were offered last year (in accordance with waist size), but these all mostly appear to be a standard 32" length. BEEFS with W + H F/W 2010: -- Delays, delays, delays. I know they're in high demand. And additionally, as I understand, they are known for running behind schedule with respect the manufacturing. -- Buttons. If you're going to place a high price tag on your garments ($800 jackets) then I believe the time and QC steps should be taken to ensure a button is sown all correctly. Getting an expensive shirt or jacket in the mail, only to realize a button is about to fall off...is well, aggravating to say the least. Just sow the damn buttons on like you mean it. -- IDEAL Zippers. These things are cheap. Cheap to the touch and feel. I feel like I could snap one in half. Occasionally the zippers are so difficult to attach and zip that I say F it and just walk out exposed to the elements, unzipped [​IMG] . Why not go back to RiRi on all pieces. Really. I hope I'm not in the minority here. And if I am, maybe I am just physically incapable of operating a zipper correctly. Are RiRi's too substantial for a light weight hoody? -- Where are the sweat pants? I think those things sold like crazy last year. I would have liked to see a new sweats offering. My F/W 09 are still holding strong, but I wanted to get a pair of oatmeals or whatever else they could think up. $140 bucks or not - the things are amazing. but two beefs with the sweats: Please make your draw strings a little longer so they don't get sucked up into the hole causing you to have to retrieve it with a coat hanger. Just give me an extra inch or two. And please make the pockets a little deeper next time...so they, can....actually hold something. If I had to count the number of times my phone or keys have slid out in my car, at home, the movies, etc. All pants need functioning pockets. I am the one depleting RG W + H stock. Stop me, please. Buy out all size small and mediums before I do. Please just save me some wool chinos in size 28 or 29 and allow them to go on sale. TIA. Myself: 5'8" 133 lbs Athletic build 36R Suit P to P: 19 S to S: 16.5 Waist: 28" Inseam: 30" Gitman Vintage size: Small (fits slightly large, but fine fit) -- Photo included of me in size small for reference. BoO size: Small: (fits slightly snug, but fine fit) Gant Rugger: Small (perfect, tailored fit) W + H Oxford: Small, generally. W + H Sweaters, fleeces, hoodies: Always medium (sans small cashmere sweater). EG: Size Small Woolrich: Small Pictures attached. edit; The Wool Fleece Sport Coat. A very pretty piece. The same fabric as the aforementioned and photoed wool fleece cardigan. My friend, who is very similarly sized to me, purchased a medium (as he does in all W + H sweaters). However, this medium did not even come close to fitting him and he will be returning it. It is extremely small fitting, shrunken, cropped (as their sports coats have been in years past). He has about 10 pounds on me (me being 133lbs, 5'8") and I could wear this in a Medium, but I too would probably double size up to a Large. Just FYI to anyone considering the coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. sixsails

sixsails Senior member

nice post man, thanks. are those cashmere hats out now?

17. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

nice post man, thanks. are those cashmere hats out now?

Yes, they are in stock at Roden Gray. In heather, charcoal, and black (I believe). I'll post a fit pic of the hat when I receive it (hopefully today or Monday). I went with charcoal.

I have not seen them at other shops yet, but you might want to check Four Horsemen.

18. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

Occasionally the zippers are so difficult to attach and zip that I say F it and just walk out exposed to the elements, unzipped [​IMG] . Why not go back to RiRi on all pieces. Really. I hope I'm not in the minority here. And if I am, maybe I am just physically incapable of operating a zipper correctly. ?

haha, this is one of my biggest peeves with their tiger fleece hoodies. you're not the only one. both on this seasons and last seasons, the zippers are a bitch to attach. ive found that letting the zipper rest at normal in a non-conjoined state actually seems to work. this of course, is counterintuitive and different than every other zipper i've ever seen in my entire life yet for some reason it works when it appears that it won't.

19. Brinbro

Brinbro Senior member

^ I had a TF and the zipper started tearing away at the top from the sweatshirt itself. Works for me as I hate the TF now but it's something to worry about since I'm not the only one it has happened to.

Anyone wanting W+H sweatpants needs to check out havenshop.ca and order some from Reigning Champ; basically the same sweatpants in the same material with a slightly changed design and CHEAPER.

20. guyferguson

guyferguson Senior member

Just wanted to let everyone know that our entire Wings + Horns buy is now online. We are waiting for a restock on tees and henleys, but they should be in soon. If anyone has any questions about sizing or anything else we are always happy to help.