Wings +horns Brown Service Boot

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 11, 2009.

1. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

^^^ I remember being told by a store that they only had size 10, 11 and 12 left when I was searching for my black pair, so I guess they do make them at least up to size 12, which would actually fit like a regular size 13 US.

2. korce

korce Senior member

- Call Dayton, dont email them 'cuz they're really, really, really slow to communicate via email, and mention your problem, hopefully they can suggest or propose some solution.

I'd also suggest calling Dayton, they are very helpful there, and the boots have a lifetime guarantee, so they want to make sure you are happy with them. If for some reason the person you get on the phone isn't helpful, I would suggest asking for Michelle, she is excellent.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I've been trying to wear my service boots regularly, but for some reason there's a lot of discomfort in the left boot. The joint on my big toe (the one at the ball of the foot) really hurts when I've worn them for awhile, although sometimes it hurts soon after I put them on. It feels like the joint can't articulate properly. The right boot fits fine with no discomfort out of the ordinary but because of the pain in my left foot, walking any significant distance in these boots is out of the question. I've never experienced this discomfort with my other shoes so I'm not sure if it's my foot that's the problem, or the boot.

I'm wearing the boots with a thin leather insole, and have tried wearing thick/thin socks, tying the laces tight/loose, etc. but the problem persists.

What I do notice is that the toe box of my left boot isn't as well made as the right boot. The leather is a little loose on the left one so it bunches up at the toe cap (see photo). On the inside of the boot, I can also feel the excess leather bunched up right at the edge of the toe cap. The right boot is smooth, both inside and out. I noticed this when I first bought them but I didn't fuss too much about it because it seemed strictly cosmetic. Now I'm wondering if it's the bunching of the leather that's causing my toe to not articulate properly.

[​IMG]

Has anybody else had this problem with their service boots?

I think what you're experiencing is a problem more due to your stride, stance, sitting and standing habits and foot size differences. We aren't symmetrical at all, and we all have a stronger and weaker leg (much like being lefty/righty).

I have experienced the same left/right discrepancy on every single pair of Dock Martens I've ever owned, and actually on many other goodleather footwear as well. In particular the bunching folds at the toe and differences in where the leather develops creases on the left boot vs. right.

4. canstyleace

I've been experimenting with some hand spot distressing, here's some before and after shots..... Before: [​IMG] [​IMG] After: [​IMG] [​IMG] Fit pic after: [​IMG] Group shot: [​IMG]

5. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

Looks good!

6. canstyleace

^^^ Thanks.... best part is the distressing can always be reversed and the leather will show no signs of it ever being messed with, color comes back to original tone and theres no sign of scratches or anything, already tested it on some spots and works like a charm....
    This is just extra sweet imo and gives you a lot of flexibility to play around with the distressing effects/patterns and color tones.....

Next up I will experiment on the black pair, the process is a bit different since its already nubuck and not top grain like the browns, but the results should be very interesting too and also fully reversable..........

7. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

what is your distressing process?

8. canstyleace

^^^ for leather or nubuck???

They're totally different so let me know which one you're interested in.....

9. grundletaint

the brown leather. they look dope

10. canstyleace

Timeframe/setting:
    - A full day (about 5-6 hrs) or 2 evenings for the entire process
    - Access to direct sunlight, the more the better
    - Patience and a somewhat steady hand

Ingredients:
    - Leather conditioning oil
    - 200 or higher sandpaper
    - 2 pieces of flannel

Recipe:
    - Wipe the leather clean from dirt, etc.
    - Apply thin coat of leather conditioning oil to entire surface with one piece of flannel
    - Rub it in nicely and go over them few times with that same piece of flannel (dont put more oil though, just one thin~ish coat)
    - Let them sit for 5-10 mins
    - Remove any excess oil from surface and rub them down again with the other (clean) piece of flannel
    - Let them sit in direct sunlight for a couple hours min. while rotating them for even sun coverage.
    - Grab piece of 200+ sandpaper and wet it down a bit, not damp, just slighty wet
    - Gently rub the desired spot with the sandpaper, go easy first and slowly modify strokage as you see/feel necessary
    - If no distressing occurs, then you wet the sdppr too much or its to high a grade, so just try it with a dry piece instead
    - Now proceed to all desired areas and do the same, take it easy though, dont go full blast on your first run ;-)
    - Once finished distressing let them sit in sunlight for some 30-60 mins
    - Lightly rub them down again with the "clean" piece of flannel, very lightly though, you just wanna remove any micro particles that are still "clinging" to the surface and even-out the texture and tones of the surface, you dont wanna re-oil the leather, so make sure you dont put much pressure at all on that final rub down
    - To reverse the affect just re-apply conditioning oil to the distressed areas first, let them sit for 5-10 mins, then a light rub down to the entire surface to even shit out
    - I was also told that if I just left the hand distressing on the surface and never re-oiled them, that the effect would reverse itself over time/use, but that it would have varying degrees, from slight reversal to full reversal, depending on actual type of use and ambient conditions, and that in some extreme conditions the distressing would even out over the entire surface, obviously I haven't had the time to test that shit out but it sure sounds sweet too.........

* I guess the most critical part of this process is the sandpaper you use, I dont know how they grade that shit in oz but it has to be at a level where you can rub it with your fingers and barely feel shit, I mean it barely feels any different then just thick ass paper, I tried with 4 different grades and they all worked but some better than others, personally I found that the second to finest of all 4 gave me the best results because I didnt have to rub too hard or put to much pressure like with the finest and I also didnt feel any significant friction like with the least fine of all, so get a few and spot try first, the less fine the more wet, the least fine just dry and a bit o' pressure, anything in-between well you know..........

** The only other question that might come up is "what leather conditioning oil to use" and its a valid one as I had it myself, bottom line is I talked to experts and several, and I'm talking true experts here no bs, people with 50+ years in the business and whatnot, so consensus is that out off all the so called "all natural" stuff thats out there mink oil seems to be the best you can use, its bs that it clogs pours and bs that it damages leather or stitching, what I hear is that all this crap started as gossip and stealth marketing used by the man-made oil alternative manufacturers, anyway thats not to say that the man-made oil stuff is bad, in fact both dayton's and obenauff's were also mentioned to me as "very good options", but again consensus was mink oil so I went with that but I would recommend all 3.

Make sure to post your results man.........

11. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

That is awesome! I don't know if I will do it to mine, but very cool. Keep us updated on the Blacks and let us know how they go over time.

12. grundletaint

yah thanks for the write up. i like the lighter shade they've become. i may try the oil and see if that does anything but the sandpaper is definitely a bad idea in these meathooks.

13. canstyleace

Oil alone will only darken then a bit, but not permanently though, leather will feel great afterwards too.

Dont fret the sandpaper man, like I said the actual sandpaper you use feels just like thick paper, the effect you see on mine on any given spot was done after 20 or more strokes with the sandpaper just on that spot, so as long as you're patient and fully conscious I doubt you could screw it up, but then again I dont wanna be an enabler to your boots potential demise ;-)

14. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

I was thinking we'll need to put up some evolution photos, to show the wear. But it's still too soon. I'm wearing either of my pairs almost every day. Blacks more than Browns for the moment. There is some wear, but nothing to write about. How are your(everyone's) boots coming along?

15. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

I don't get distressing your boots... They'll be naturally distressed if you just wear them.

It's like distressed jeans... You're actually weakening the leather and the boots will fail sooner than if you just wear them.

They're nice looking boots by the way, without the faux distressing.