• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing Chairs

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Antique stores are a dime a dozen, and located everywhere. But for starters, I would make a habit of scoping out the stretch of shops on Queen W @ Roncy on a regular basis...big turnover, interesting finds, and great prices (dealers shop here constantly). I can't begin to start telling you how many great finds I have made here (but then again, I live in the nabe)..

Also, you might want to check out the stretch of Bayview in Leaside.

If price isn't a huge barrier, or you want new, you might check out the bigger stores that have located in a new "warehouse" district around Castlefield (north of Eglinton & Dyfferin). HorseFeathers has a great antiques selection right up your alley, and Elte carries the whole Ralph Lauren line, which I think includes the kind of stuff you like.

Then there are the old standbys, such as The Art Shoppe on Yonge, south of Eglinton, and Ridpaths, on Yonge @ Davenport. Not cheap, but better than spending real money at places like Pottery Barn or Restoration hardware.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the Hans Wagner papabear chairs.

0116.jpg

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I love the Papa Bear chairs as well. Sadly, they are being knocked off as well, and vintage ones have sky-rocketed in value (and not easy to find one where the seller isn't aware of its value). There's a Chinese-made knock-off on sale at Morba (Queen W @ Bathurst) for $995, and I saw a better quality knock-off from Modernica at Quasi Modo just a little further west on Queen....they were around $3,000.

Funny story about that exact Papa Bear chair you posted...it was originally up for auction at Waddingtons in Toronto back in March 2007.

It had a pre-auction estimate of only $300-500, so I went down to the auction in the unlikely event I might actually pick it up for that price. It was in sad shape...worn & soiled fabric, missing button in the upper left-hand corner, wood finish messed up, and the cushion was all crunchy like it had something spilled all over it. Oh well, at that price you can afford to have it repaired.

But a phone bidder took it right up to $4200 CDN (including buyers fee). Six months later, it shows up at the Rago auction, and sells for exactly twice the price... $8400 USD. Forget stocks...dealing in the right vintage furniture can net you some righteous returns (and generally tax-free if it's private).

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
I love the Papa Bear chairs as well. Sadly, they are being knocked off as well, and vintage ones have sky-rocketed in value (and not easy to find one where the seller isn't aware of its value). There's a Chinese-made knock-off on sale at Morba (Queen W @ Bathurst) for $995, and I saw a better quality knock-off from Modernica at Quasi Modo just a little further west on Queen....they were around $3,000.

Funny story about that exact Papa Bear chair you posted...it was originally up for auction at Waddingtons in Toronto back in March 2007.

It had a pre-auction estimate of only $300-500, so I went down to the auction in the unlikely event I might actually pick it up for that price. It was in sad shape...worn & soiled fabric, missing button in the upper left-hand corner, wood finish messed up, and the cushion was all crunchy like it had something spilled all over it. Oh well, at that price you can afford to have it repaired.

But a phone bidder took it right up to $4200 CDN (including buyers fee). Six months later, it shows up at the Rago auction, and sells for exactly twice the price... $8400 USD. Forget stocks...dealing in the right vintage furniture can net you some righteous returns (and generally tax-free if it's private).

That's a very funny coincidence. I just pulled up this photo from Google. These chairs are so comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads