• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine recs

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2001 or 2002 Neal Family Cabernet

Best value among Cali Cabs, this stuff is just great, fruity, tasty, powerful, with decent acidity, potent, complex, this is one of the best cali cabs out there. Both vintages are great, you can get these for under $50 at 2020wines.com.

2002 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon

What can you say about this one, as good as most bordeaux that I've tasted, potent, powerful, could sit for several years, but is nice to drink now. Lots of fruit, but smooth as silk. The Cabernet franc is great too, a bit less kick but fruitier and goes down like water, can't even taste the 15+% alcohol.

Couple other good ones:

2003 Schloss Schonborn Beernauslese
2002 Neal Family Zinfandel

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pride is great stuff. Just cannot go wrong. If you like Pride, you might want to seek out Switchback Ridge wines as Bob Foley is the winemaker for both. SW's petite sirah is out of this world. Paloma is another "sure thing" winery on Spring Mountain. You might recall the 2002 (or 2001?) Paloma merlot was the Wine Spectator wine of the year a year or two ago.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, it's tough to get switchback right now, or paloma unfortunately. Have you tried the Neal?

Lately I've been really into dessert wines, Beernausleses, TBAs, Sauternes, and Tokaji, great stuff.

Another good one is Casa Lapostoele Clos Apalta (from Chile)

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the Neal but I'll keep an eye out for it. Switchback Ridge cab and PS are carried in tiny quantities by my local Dean & Deluca. I'm fortunate to be on the wine manager's list of people to call when it comes in so as to get a few bottles. Paloma is more readily available here in DC -- the merlot anyway. The Paloma cab and syrah seem to be mailing list only. Have you taken the mailing list "plunge" yet?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm on the neal and pride mailing lists, and on the waiting list for Paloma, Switchback, and a few others...

I would recommend getting Neal from 2020wines.com if they ship to where you are...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wine Spectator gave 2001 and 2002 Neal a 91, people on the wine spectator forums are pissed, they think it should have gotten 94+

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2002 Neal Zinfandel:

Ok, well I decided to crack open one of these to drink with my steaks tonight, I barbecued 43 oz of filet mignon and loaded up on some Zin, to my surprise, it was strong enough to stand up to the filet with no problem. Nose was great, lots of fruit, tastes of blueberries, a bit of cherry, and loads of other fruits, a bit of pepper, and smooth as silk. Cab like, but much smoother. Highly recommend.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between a wine rated 32 and a wine rated 42?

johnw86

Reaction score
10 points?
tounge.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between a wine rated 32 and a wine rated 42?
Come on, you know full well everybody gets "A".

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone with more than a casual interest in wine, this forum board -- West Coat Wine Net -- is without parallel IMO. Â http://www.westcoastwine.net/forums/?f=13 The forum on erobertparker.com is excellent too, but requires a paid subscription. Â Wine Lovers Discussions Group forum board is pretty good too.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't need a paid sub to post on the erobertparker board, I don't subscribe but am a regular poster there.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 points? Â
tounge.gif
wow.gif
I'll give it a try myself: 32 = holy frucking batass, Batman, this stuff's good enough to wash a tailpipe with. 42 = hints of bottle, chicory, and whiteboard smudge

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(johnw86 @ Jan. 27 2005,06:04) 10 points? Â
tounge.gif

wow.gif
I'll give it a try myself: 32 = holy frucking batass, Batman, this stuff's good enough to wash a tailpipe with. 42 = hints of bottle, chicory, and whiteboard smudge
What I want to know is: where did you find a bottle rated 32 points?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
32 pts is pretty low... just think about the furor when Laube rated Montelena estate 68 or whatever... 32 is probably like water out of the Charles river or Lake Erie or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads