• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine recs

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
32 pts is pretty low... just think about the furor when Laube rated Montelena estate 68 or whatever... 32 is probably like water out of the Charles river or Lake Erie or something.
Charles Shaw. Charles Shaw is probably a 32 or less.
tounge.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt Wine Spectator would even give Boones Farm or MD 20/20 a rating of less than 55
smile.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think WS and WA ratings go below 50 or 55, and that would be for a horribly brown corked nasty-smelling liquid.

Last night I drank a tasty California syrah that certainly rated more highly than 55 points - an Andrew Murray, 1998 Roasted Slope Vineyard. Not over the top as the 1998 vintage wasn't warm, but more like a Northern Rhone syrah, similar to Cote Rotie. Not even close to being mature; still on the upswing. Easily has another 10 years.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 1 '02 Pride Cab and '02 Merlot in my cellar- aka hall closet. And my collection- aka 15 bottles- is just starting
biggrin.gif
My local wine store has 2 more of the Pride cabs but they are IIRC $70something each- not sure if it's worth getting the other 2 or not at that price. I haven't had any of the Neal stuff but the WS forum folks rave about it nonstop. I got the impression though that it was really, really tannic right now, being so young. I am definitely considering an order for some though, it's already hard to find.

Eric

Reaction score
I am terribly underqualified to comment, as I don't like wine too very much, But...I had a merlot at a friends house a week ago that I like very much. I believe it was blackstone, not sure what year. Pretty inexpensive too.

Eric

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bigbadbuff,

I'd pick up all the Pride that you can find at $70, that's quite close to the release price.

As for Neal, you can get it from 2020wines.com for $40/btl right now. It's really quite excellent. Decant it for a couple hours and it will be great to drink right now.

I saw some of your posts on WS earlier...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opened up a 2002 Pride chardonnay tonight for my wife's bday. Very tasty. By the way, I noticed earlier today that my local wine store has the 2001 Neal cab for $53. Sounds like that's alot more expensive than on the West Coast.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, lots of fruit, wonderful nose, very sweet, thick, apricots, very nice finish, highly recommend.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Release price was $45, so that's not terrible, it just got rated 91 so I imagine that's why.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bigbadbuff,

I'd pick up all the Pride that you can find at $70, that's quite close to the release price.

As for Neal, you can get it from 2020wines.com for $40/btl right now.  It's really quite excellent.  Decant it for a couple hours and it will be great to drink right now.

I saw some of your posts on WS earlier...
You decanted such a young wine?

jekv12

Reaction score
I don't think WS and WA ratings go below 50 or 55, and that would be for a horribly brown corked nasty-smelling liquid.
Hmm a quick google gives: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-scores.lml?ID=null that says both WA and WS go from 50-100 and discusses a few others. I know many people use a 20 point scale. Wines in the 60-70 range would be technically flawed - ie something went wrong in the making - and probably wouldn't be evaluated for any other characterisitc. The point of course is to trust your own taste, deciding if they align with or disagree with the comments of other evaluators. After all, you can't compare wines across rating systems, even if they are both "100 point" systems, like WS and WA.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You decanted such a young wine?
I think the Neal is reputed to be pretty closed and tannic upon opening, and it needs some good breathing time.

Guessing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads