• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows XP Is Now 10 Years Old

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still like it. It's stable and I know it inside and out. Windows 7 has a bit glitzier interface and is more security conscious, but I find it hard to justify the migration. Not many companies have upgraded either, arguing that XP stability trumps new Win 7 features. Perhaps when Windows 8 is shipping it'll be time to upgrade, but for now XP is good, like a pair of well worn Levi's.

XP still dominates the OS market as well - 50% XP compared to 25% Win7

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/25/8482818-windows-xp-turns-10-still-thrives

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still on it. It ain't pretty but it works well and I know where everything is and how to play with it. Vista's overly restrictive IMO and all the pumped up looks are actually less useful.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Using it at work and at home. Will only switch to another OS when I get a new laptop.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four computers still running at home -- one XP, one Vista, two 7

I am not a fan of Vista

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I still like it. It's stable and I know it inside and out. Windows 7 has a bit glitzier interface and is more security conscious, but I find it hard to justify the migration. Not many companies have upgraded either, arguing that XP stability trumps new Win 7 features. Perhaps when Windows 8 is shipping it'll be time to upgrade, but for now XP is good, like a pair of well worn Levi's.
XP still dominates the OS market as well - 50% XP compared to 25% Win7
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/25/8482818-windows-xp-turns-10-still-thrives

Corps are still running it because upgrading is expensive and many have been in a iffy financial situation since 2008, not because of any inherent benefit of the OS itself. It also benefited because Vista was such a flop. At this point, XP is a liability. Windows 7 is better in just about every way including stability and resistance to all the nasty things that want to harm your pc. The security improvements are not minor for the enterprise. A lot of corps probably have legacy apps that won't run well on 7 but there are good ways to deal with that using desktop virtualization and/or terminal services that provide much better overall security than having legacy apps installed on a bunch of XP machines.

I bought a windows 7 family pack for $200 and upgraded my 3 computers all at once for a very reasonable price. Actually, if you're still running XP it's probably time to buy a new pc.

Last edited:

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corps are still running it because upgrading is expensive and many have been in a iffy financial situation since 2008, not because of any inherent benefit of the OS itself. It also benefited because Vista was such a flop. At this point, XP is a liability. Windows 7 is better in just about every way including stability and resistance to all the nasty things that want to harm your pc. The security improvements are not minor for the enterprise. A lot of corps probably have legacy apps that won't run well on 7 but there are good ways to deal with that using desktop virtualization and/or terminal services that provide much better overall security than having legacy apps installed on a bunch of XP machines.

Whenever there's a major OS upgrade in a corporate environment, there's an inevitable "period of pain" that the user community becomes forced to endure - whether it's because of lack of training or lack of pre-testing on the part of IT. If there are problems with the resulting upgrade (and there always are), the ramifications can be severe. It's a Grief Fest for everyone. So unless there's a compelling reason to upgrade, it's easy to understand the hesitancy.

Last edited:

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a windows 7 family pack for $200 and upgraded my 3 computers all at once for a very reasonable price. Actually, if you're still running XP it's probably time to buy a new pc.

So true. The machine running XP is the sole desktop in the house and we almost never use it. Come to think about it, I am not sure why we haven't discarded it yet since it is almost 10 years old ... :laugh:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So true. The machine running XP is the sole desktop in the house and we almost never use it. Come to think about it, I am not sure why we haven't discarded it yet since it is almost 10 years old ... :laugh:

The XP school computer that sits in on my desk is of a similar vintage, I only use it occasionally to rip CDs and DVDs. Most of the time I'm using my Fujitsu UH900 Windows 7 UMPC/netbook, with the monitor from the school's XP computer plugged into my Windows 7 machine. I never plug the XP machine into the internet, just in case it becomes a zombie PC and part of a botnet or something. We already have enough XP zombies in China, don't want to make it any worse.

BTW my own 'Made in Japan' machine has a legal licensed copy of Windows 7 in English, which was purchased in Hong Kong and NOT the Mainland. TBH I don't quite know what's running on the school PC, but it's all in Chinese, probably pirated and still has IE6.

Last edited:

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whenever there's a major OS upgrade in a corporate environment, there's an inevitable "period of pain" that the user community becomes forced to endure - whether it's because of lack of training or lack of pre-testing on the part of IT. If there are problems with the resulting upgrade (and there always are), the ramifications can be severe. It's a Grief Fest for everyone. So unless there's a compelling reason to upgrade, it's easy to understand the hesitancy.

I don't think there's nay real excuse for this anymore. Virtualization technology makes everything a lot less painful now (including pre-deployment testing). In the past, yes, but this is the first big change in a long time (for companies that skipped vista) and IT has advanced a lot since the last one (XP SP2). Many companies are already using citirix or something similar to run those apps because it makes for easy updates and central control.The os the clients are running from is largely irrelevant. In my org it's been fairly painless.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dupe post, SF giving errors. Mods please delete.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hate XP. Only use it at work because I have to. Windows 7 is really nice and if I ran a PC instead of a Mac at home it would be what I have installed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads