• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows vista

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wahhh Microsoft sucks.. I don't know how to use my PC.

It isn't that bad, just learn how to use it. I get full speed torrents and bandwidth. Not knowing how to setup Azareus isn't Vista's fault.

If you can't be arsed to remove all of HP's pre-installed bloatware, I'm not sure what to tell you. Next time, buy a better brand that doesn't preload the machine with 30 gigs of worthless junk. The slowness of your machine is because of how HP set it up with all of their 'partner software.'

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is...

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
with 2 GB of ram...

whatever that means.

Also I paid the squad at Best Buy to remove a lot of the stuff (as they did)... what's left now is **** like Rhapsody, and a bunch of video and photo software from HP I'll never, ever use.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep removing. Really, HP is a scam when they load it down like that with 15 things that load on startup. I'd strip it down until there is almost nothing in the installed programs and then start fresh (assuming you don't want to re-install Vista).

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Keep removing. Really, HP is a scam when they load it down like that with 15 things that load on startup. I'd strip it down until there is almost nothing in the installed programs and then start fresh (assuming you don't want to re-install Vista).

well at Best Buy it came down to this and a Toshiba, and I found this to be better than the Toshiba (better built). I have no doubt that all of the other ones would have come with tons of bullshit too.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll remote administer your laptop and be IT Guy from SF for the right price.
wink.gif

Hoff is right - remove all of that crap. Also, Vista requires a pretty freaking decent GFX card to serve up all the GUI-goodness. If you're lacking that... eh. With an AMD processor, the likelihood is that you have an ATI (maybe not though) card; while I like ATI, nVidia has been trouncing them with DX10 solutions.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
while I like ATI, nVidia has been trouncing them with DX10 solutions.
You know that sounds like gibberish to most people, right?
biggrin.gif
I have to say, I'm very impressed with the new Asus I picked up -- a total of like 3 installed programs -- Office, Nero CD, and some Asus Webcam stuff. That is all. 1680 x 1050 res kicks ass too, even if it is a bit small on a 15". edit: don't forget to remove Norton or whatever other virus scanner they put on. That is usually the biggest culprit for slowness as they will check every single file when it is launched or read. Install a freeware scanner that runs once a week and you're fine.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, yea I know, but if nothing else.. it'll give him some background as to why Vista (while it could be better) is not as awful as he may think.

I've been looking at a new laptop. I'm quitting my job so I have to turn in all my equipment, which I'm using as an impetus to 1) build the HTPC I've wanted for 3 years (parts on the way, woo) and 2) get a new laptop. Problem is, being accustomed to Latitudes, I prefer business-class laptops because I freaking abuse them. Might just hunt on eBay for a D630 or 830.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asus V1S (B1 / A1) -- check it out. Seems quite solid and is well organized.

I've been building HTPCs for a while (used to use Sage but now I have a cable company DVR) -- I think I still might have a Sage license if you want.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has nVidia.

They already moved Norton.

Do I need to have the firewall on? Also, what is a good virus thing that doesn't run in the background, and that I can use maybe once a day then put it away so it doesnt slow **** down?

So if I remove everything that says "HP" on it, nothing bad will happen?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you remove somethings like "Audio Manager" or "Short cut wizard" or whatever HP might call it, some special keyboard functions and key-combinations might not work. Assuming there are special keys on your keyboard (to launch email, turn up the volume, etc), those usually take a piece of software to run and that will normally be labeled with the manufacturer's name. Nothing bad will happen though. I would leave the firewall on but turn off UAC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/ Free A/V (turn off constant checking, schedule a full scan once per day or week): http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html http://free.grisoft.com/ I also use ad aware for browser spyware, etc http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads