• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows Vista: Anyone planning on upgrading?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard much about Windows Vista, and in fact I didn't realize the new OS was on its way until this week. Does anybody know enough about it to know if you're planning to upgrade right away?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I dunno, "Right Away" is subjective. When I buy some more computer parts, I'll probably upgrade to it.

It will probably be at least 3-4 months.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a real compelling reason to change, it may be better to wait until after Service Pack 1 is available. That could be about the end of 2007.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I dunno, "Right Away" is subjective. When I buy some more computer parts, I'll probably upgrade to it.

It will probably be at least 3-4 months.

Do you think Jennifer will wait that long? Obsessions can be a real ***** if you keep them waiting!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got it this week, with a new computer. no opinion on it yet, although I didn't find the media player that came with it to be easy to use.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Do you think Jennifer will wait that long? Obsessions can be a real ***** if you keep them waiting!

I don't see why Jenny would have to wait, there's nothing wrong with any of my current computers. But you know... they could always be faster.

alflauren

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a new VAIO next month - it's said they'll be shipping with Vista as of next month. If that's the case, I plan to take it off and use XP for at least another year. It's rock solid and does everything that I need it to do.

ghostdeini

Reaction score
like tokyo slim, the only reason i'd upgrade is if I got faster parts. I don't really have a need for faster parts ATM because I am still able to play games at maxed out settings... however once directx10 starts showing up more frequently, i'll be forced to upgrade

buuut that's a little further down the line and I need to save up money to go on vacation this summer with the lady.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the hardware to run it (C2D [email protected], 2GB, 7900GTX); however, after having played with it for a few days in VMWare, I have zero desire to upgrade. It offers little to me in the way of additional functionality, and the meager improvements offer little in the way of overall benefit to outweigh the many negatives (stability, compatibility, speed, general annoyances, etc).

Maybe by 3Q07 when DX10 stuff starts showing up, I may dual boot, but I seriously doubt I'll touch it between now and then.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I have the hardware to run it (C2D [email protected], 2GB, 7900GTX); however, after having played with it for a few days in VMWare, I have zero desire to upgrade. It offers little to me in the way of additional functionality, and the meager improvements offer little in the way of overall benefit to outweigh the many negatives (stability, compatibility, speed, general annoyances, etc).

Maybe by 3Q07 when DX10 stuff starts showing up, I may dual boot, but I seriously doubt I'll touch it between now and then.

Exact same here (well, other than the hawt PC specs!). Looks nice in VMWare but I will avoid it for the time being.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using the beta for a few months, i installed it to get rid of the "Your windows is not legitimate you software pirate bastard pirate" messages that kept popping up in xp. I like it, and will buy it when it is available in shops.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have it when I get my new comp in a few months. DX10 would force me to upgrade anyway.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'll upgrade when I get a DX10 video card, or if I can get ahold of a bootleg that doesn't require a product key.

"Your windows is not legitimate you software pirate bastard pirate" messages that kept popping up in xp.
There are some pretty simple registry hacks to get around this.

So far from what I've heard, it's been pretty insecure. But I've never used it myself. I got XP as soon as that came out and I never had any problems with stability or security. I found it much better than 98/Me.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I'll upgrade when I get a DX10 video card, or if I can get ahold of a bootleg that doesn't require a product key.

There are some pretty simple registry hacks to get around this.

So far from what I've heard, it's been pretty insecure. But I've never used it myself. I got XP as soon as that came out and I never had any problems with stability or security. I found it much better than 98/Me.

Same here. Went from 95 OSR2 to XP Home. Bought it retail *shudder*

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads