• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows 7 Public Beta Available Today

lizmasc

Reaction score
During a keynote delivered at the CES 2009, Steve Balmer announced the availability of windows 7 public beta today. It seems that Microsoft is rushing to make current problems with Vista history, and expects to release a new version, aka Windows 7, as soon as possible. The final version of windows 7 is expected for 2010. Steve Ballmer promised that windows 7 will be different than Vista, and that Microsoft is listening to customers

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009-01-09/

That link is on the first page of the the news, it may not be tomorrow or some other day when you're checking it.

Anyway, it is out now, but remember it's still a beta. They're supposedly having some problems with their servers
teacha.gif
smiley2.gif

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
windows7ys9.png

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Great,

It is nice to know as the owner of a new vista driven laptop that the computer is almost obsolete. I imagine if 7 works, companies will upgrade to it, as many seem to have skipped Vista.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath in anticipation that MS will produce a quality operating system.

Maybe it will just require Quad core extreme chips and 6gb of Ram just to run the OS.

ArtisticShowcase

Reaction score
I downloaded the Windows 7 Beta and put it on a partition on my Mac. I have to say that the driver support is really good (I didn't need to load the Boot Camp drivers to use WiFi or ethernet) and it is A LOT faster than Vista.

Windows 7 is to Windows as Snow Leopard is to Mac OS X: maintenance and performance OS upgrades.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting this from Windows 7 RC1 and my new Lenovo SL400 laptop. Coming from XP, it's sufficiently snappy. Drivers all supported and work fine, save for a few Lenovo system apps.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
I'm not holding my breath in anticipation that MS will produce a quality operating system.

Maybe it will just require Quad core extreme chips and 6gb of Ram just to run the OS.

Word on the street is that Windows 7 runs much more efficiently than Vista.

TheApple

Reaction score
vista is so bad that it doesnt really prove much

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheApple
vista is so bad that it doesnt really prove much

Have you used it or are you one of the lemmings that just like to repeat "common opinion" because it's cool to make fun of Vista?

I happen to be more than happy with it on my main computer while running Win 7 on my laptop.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's problem with Vista? I realize it was no great leap forward from XP, but it hasn't given me any heartburn. I do have a fast PC.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
I used to be a vista hater myself, until I got a PC that can run it sufficiently well. Now I find vista to be a very nice upgrade from XP. I've never came across any BSOD's that were not self inflicted (too much OC'ing of my cpu/mobo/ram), and so far have yet to get any program compatibility issues after a year of use. I'm looking forward to trying out Windows 7 RC, and looking even more forward to whatever upcoming Mac-PC commercials will be released when Windows 7 goes live.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've switched from Vista 64bit Business Edition to Windows 7 RC1 on both my home PC (media server) and my tablet notebook.

What I've noticed right off the bat is the startup speed improvement. Both machines have faster startup and shutdown times. The copy times, particularly for large files or large sets of files has GREATLY improved.

The new tablet interface with Windows 7 is definitely superior to Vista's (not that Vista's was bad) but the W7 tablet features are more intuitive. The handwriting recognition is much quicker and more accurate. The on-screen keyboard is larger and easier to use. I use "tablet mode" about 75% of the time so this is a big deal to me.

Windows 7 has improved the UAC interface, but not by much. It still sucks. However they've intergrated biometrics into the OS. I can use my fingerprint scanner without having to load the bloated HP software.

W7's wireless management is much nicer too. It determines the encryption method of the network, you just have to enter the key. I'm still having problems connecting to my Cisco AP's that have more complex encryption.

The GUI still has bugs. I have some ghosting issues on my tablet but I love the new "groupings" in the taskbar's pinned items. The auto-maximize-windows feature is annoying IMHO.

I actually had an early beta of Windows 7 (x.x.7000) on the home PC for several months now and that was already an improvement over Vista. I've got to say that the RC1 isn't perfect but it's the best thing Microsoft has released in years.

(I also dualboot my tablet with Ubuntu 9.04 and speed/performance of RC1 is comparable to Ubuntu now)

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I'm running Vista on a very new, $2,000 laptop. It sucks. The minor improvements over XP are not worth all the crap that come with it (painful transferring, etc.) . I am very looking forward to 7.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads