• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows 7 mini-review

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MS is offering RC1 to anyone that wants to install it. I previously thought it expired in June so I wasn't going to bother, but I found out it expires in June 2010, so I just switched from vista. I was not a Vista hater, but windows 7 is a substantial improvement all around. I'll be installing it on my laptop as well. I'll start with drivers and UAC, by far the two biggest complaints as they relate to Vista.

I had tried installing an earlier build and it froze on me during install, but the RC1 installation proceeded without any problems. I installed the 64-bit version and so far I haven't hit any real roadblocks. All of my hardward was detected and the appropriate drivers were installed, including things that weren't installed during the Vista 32 installation. This is a large improvement from Vista 64 or XP 64. It's not much of a surprise though, as Windows 7 uses the same driver model as Vista, and the bulk of the pain was incurred during the vista launch, but now manufacturers have drivers available for both 32 and 64 bit versions. There have been some significant under the hood improvements to Windows 7, but they don't require any substantial driver rewrites like Vista did. For reference, vista used kernal 6.0 and windows 7 uses kernal 6.1.

After installation, the one thing I did need a new version of was Kaspersky Anti-Virus, but Windows automatically flagged the program when I was installing it and sent me straight to the kaspersky download site that had the version that was compatible with Windows 7. They give you a beta license that lasts in to november, at which point i'm assuming they'll have the final version out and i can apply my purchased license to it. I didn't have problems with any other programs.

UAC is much less annoying in Windows 7. Unlike some, I actually like the fact that windows now makes you escalate to perform some operations, but the problem in Vista was the redundancy of the prompts. It would ask you twice for the same operation, and even on fast computer, it would take several seconds for the whole process. That seems to have been dealt with. Since UAC prompts are mostly front-loaded to when you are installing everything for the first time on a new computer, you have to go through a ton of them. This seems like less of an issue now, partly because applications have now be updated to behave properly under the new rules. And you no longer need to escalate to run control panel apps. Personally, I intend to crank it up to Level 3 (the highest level of UAC) once i'm done setting everything up, but you don't have to. The thing I liked most about vista was that it didn't get messed up over time like XP did. I think that UAC is partly to thank for that, and having it at level 3 minimizes any potential vulnerabilities.

The new interface is slick. Although browser tabs helped with taskbar clutter, never again will you have multiple IE or explorer windows clogging up your taskbar. And the text is gone from them. It shows only icons. For browsers, you can even access different tabs straight from the taskbar. The system tray seems to be off-limits to programs now, and most icons are hidden so there's less clutter. Messenger sits on my taskbar instead of in the old system tray, which now only holds my wireless connection, volume, anti-virus, or things actually related to the system. The sidebar is gone. Instead, gadgets are placed on your desktop. This is an improvement. Everything seems very snappy.

On the networking side, things are also improved. You can now easily share libraries to other computers on your network. So even if you have music or several different drives filled with video *cough* Jinda *cough*, you can now make a single library and share it, instead of having to share each folder individually. With 2 TB drives now a reality, this is pretty awesome for someone that wants to fill a case with say 10 hard drives and rip all their DVDs (or soon Blue Ray) and serve them up as one folder. I just bought a mammoth-sized case and that is exactly what I intend to do. It'll allow me to keep my HTPC in the living room small and quiet, with only a SSD drive on it. An always-on, totally silent HTPC is now a possibility. There likely will also be add-in cards available for windows 7 that will allow you to eliminate your HD cable box, as MS has built the required DRM into the OS to protect the content from its streaming source to delivery on your screen. I know that DirectTV has something in the works for sure. Another company is also releasing a video card that will handle the HD audio with high quality components. So unlike windows vista, I expect that windows 7 will eventually be a full-capability media center, eliminating the need for an external HD dvr or blue ray player.

Media Center 7 now has support for movie libraries, which are different from video libraries. I'm guessing that it will display your DVD rips with cover art, but I haven't tested it yet. This previously required an external plugin. Another big improvement is that you no longer need to screw around installing codec packs to get your videos to play. All of my divx and xvid work straight out of the box.

Minor things: calculator got a big update. It now does unit conversions and a bunch of other stuff. Useless crap like windows mail has finally be removed from the OS. This is now part of windows live. Explorer got some minor improvements, mainly related to libraries and homegroups.

I haven't had any issues at all with RC1. I've installed a bunch of programs, including 64 bit versions of Lightroom 2. Everything runs great. No crashes.

I think MS has nailed this release, right down to the freely available Release Candidate straight from them.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, Win 7 is rocking so far. I do like Vista as well although I turn off UAC.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think MS took more flak than it deserved for Vista. It's not a bad OS. UAC was necessary, but poorly implemented imo. However, much of the blame for Vista's initial issues doesn't even belong to MS, but to equipment manufacturers who did not come up to speed fast enough. Some companies didn't have good drivers for months after release. Since that isn't an issue this time, everything is going to go very smoothly. The only thing I haven't tried yet is gaming, but I've seen benchmarks and Windows 7 is better than vista, and tied with xp, although the differences are very marginal now that quality drivers are available. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, but was obviously fated not to be because of the huge changes it brought around. Those changes were absolutely necessary, but they doomed the OS.

Anyway, if you really hate vista, i'd feel comfortable telling people to upgrade now.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

free man

Reaction score
I had Build 7000 installed and it was FAST. I updated to 7100, thinking it would be better and hopefully fix a few flaws of 7000. It fixed the flaws, but its significantly slower.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by free man
I had Build 7000 installed and it was FAST. I updated to 7100, thinking it would be better and hopefully fix a few flaws of 7000. It fixed the flaws, but its significantly slower.

What was faster, specifically? I honestly haven't found anything wrong with it yet. It runs very quickly on my system, but i do have a quad core, 4gb of ram, and good graphics card...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so tired of paying Apple premiums for flaky hardware - would love a Windows that didn't make me homicidal...

free man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
What was faster, specifically? I honestly haven't found anything wrong with it yet. It runs very quickly on my system, but i do have a quad core, 4gb of ram, and good graphics card...

I upgraded from XP, and stuff just worked faster. Things opened faster, minimized smoothy, etc.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a raging Apple fanboy, but I've heard nothing but good things about 7. Good luck to them after the disaster that was Vista.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by free man
I upgraded from XP, and stuff just worked faster. Things opened faster, minimized smoothy, etc.

Don't know what to tell you... maybe new drivers with the new build were a step backwards for you? That's not uncommon with beta drivers.

The only area I've had trouble in so far has been Media Center 7. It doesn't seem to remember my library settings, and doesn't seem to be using the same libraries as media player does, which it should imo (this is how it worked under vista).

I'm not sure how they're handling patches for the Release candidate, but I have no doubt this will all work properly at release. In the meantime i'm just going to be starting my movies from windows.

I have to say that the seperate libraries for WMP are pretty cool though.

Other things that are really nice in MC7 are sports scores with detailed game reports, internet tv (you can get movie trailers, tv shows, etc.), and a streaming video service where you can rent movies from within media center. You'd need a fast connection to take advantage of this stuff, but they're definitely building it for the future.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
MS is offering RC1 to anyone that wants to install it. I previously thought it expired in June so I wasn't going to bother, but I found out it expires in June 2010, so I just switched from vista. I was not a Vista hater, but windows 7 is a substantial improvement all around. I'll be installing it on my laptop as well. I'll start with drivers and UAC, by far the two biggest complaints as they relate to Vista.

I had tried installing an earlier build and it froze on me during install, but the RC1 installation proceeded without any problems. I installed the 64-bit version and so far I haven't hit any real roadblocks. All of my hardward was detected and the appropriate drivers were installed, including things that weren't installed during the Vista 32 installation. This is a large improvement from Vista 64 or XP 64. It's not much of a surprise though, as Windows 7 uses the same driver model as Vista, and the bulk of the pain was incurred during the vista launch, but now manufacturers have drivers available for both 32 and 64 bit versions. There have been some significant under the hood improvements to Windows 7, but they don't require any substantial driver rewrites like Vista did. For reference, vista used kernal 6.0 and windows 7 uses kernal 6.1.

After installation, the one thing I did need a new version of was Kaspersky Anti-Virus, but Windows automatically flagged the program when I was installing it and sent me straight to the kaspersky download site that had the version that was compatible with Windows 7. They give you a beta license that lasts in to november, at which point i'm assuming they'll have the final version out and i can apply my purchased license to it. I didn't have problems with any other programs.

UAC is much less annoying in Windows 7. Unlike some, I actually like the fact that windows now makes you escalate to perform some operations, but the problem in Vista was the redundancy of the prompts. It would ask you twice for the same operation, and even on fast computer, it would take several seconds for the whole process. That seems to have been dealt with. Since UAC prompts are mostly front-loaded to when you are installing everything for the first time on a new computer, you have to go through a ton of them. This seems like less of an issue now, partly because applications have now be updated to behave properly under the new rules. And you no longer need to escalate to run control panel apps. Personally, I intend to crank it up to Level 3 (the highest level of UAC) once i'm done setting everything up, but you don't have to. The thing I liked most about vista was that it didn't get messed up over time like XP did. I think that UAC is partly to thank for that, and having it at level 3 minimizes any potential vulnerabilities.

The new interface is slick. Although browser tabs helped with taskbar clutter, never again will you have multiple IE or explorer windows clogging up your taskbar. And the text is gone from them. It shows only icons. For browsers, you can even access different tabs straight from the taskbar. The system tray seems to be off-limits to programs now, and most icons are hidden so there's less clutter. Messenger sits on my taskbar instead of in the old system tray, which now only holds my wireless connection, volume, anti-virus, or things actually related to the system. The sidebar is gone. Instead, gadgets are placed on your desktop. This is an improvement. Everything seems very snappy.

On the networking side, things are also improved. You can now easily share libraries to other computers on your network. So even if you have music or several different drives filled with video *cough* Jinda *cough*, you can now make a single library and share it, instead of having to share each folder individually. With 2 TB drives now a reality, this is pretty awesome for someone that wants to fill a case with say 10 hard drives and rip all their DVDs (or soon Blue Ray) and serve them up as one folder. I just bought a mammoth-sized case and that is exactly what I intend to do. It'll allow me to keep my HTPC in the living room small and quiet, with only a SSD drive on it. An always-on, totally silent HTPC is now a possibility. There likely will also be add-in cards available for windows 7 that will allow you to eliminate your HD cable box, as MS has built the required DRM into the OS to protect the content from its streaming source to delivery on your screen. I know that DirectTV has something in the works for sure. Another company is also releasing a video card that will handle the HD audio with high quality components. So unlike windows vista, I expect that windows 7 will eventually be a full-capability media center, eliminating the need for an external HD dvr or blue ray player.

Media Center 7 now has support for movie libraries, which are different from video libraries. I'm guessing that it will display your DVD rips with cover art, but I haven't tested it yet. This previously required an external plugin. Another big improvement is that you no longer need to screw around installing codec packs to get your videos to play. All of my divx and xvid work straight out of the box.

Minor things: calculator got a big update. It now does unit conversions and a bunch of other stuff. Useless crap like windows mail has finally be removed from the OS. This is now part of windows live. Explorer got some minor improvements, mainly related to libraries and homegroups.

I haven't had any issues at all with RC1. I've installed a bunch of programs, including 64 bit versions of Lightroom 2. Everything runs great. No crashes.

I think MS has nailed this release, right down to the freely available Release Candidate straight from them.

Thanks for a great review.

For those of us that are technically challenged yet know enough to get in trouble.

Would an overlay upgrade to this OS from Vista be fairly easy and risk free?

Years ago overlay OS upgrades were notorious for problems. I know because I tried them versus wiping the drives and doing fresh installs of new OSs

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Thanks for a great review.

For those of us that are technically challenged yet know enough to get in trouble.

Would an overlay upgrade to this OS from Vista be fairly easy and risk free?

Years ago overlay OS upgrades were notorious for problems. I know because I tried them versus wiping the drives and doing fresh installs of new OSs

I can't answer that. I've always segregated my data from my applications to avoid this issue. I installed on a fresh partition.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
What's the anticipated release date for this bad boy?

I think they are aiming for the end of this year sometime. It's all just speculation though and I'd rather they don't rush to release it because that may lead to problems and bad PR that they don't need after the perceived fiasco of Vista.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads