• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windowpane: Sports Coat or Suit?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK I get that pinstripes are only for suits, not sport coats.

But windowpane patterns: I've seen them for both. What's the deal? Are some windowpanes better for SC and others better for suits? I'm asking because for my second MTM garment I want a windowpane, but I have more suits than sports coats... But I feel like the most memorable windowpane outfits involved suits.

To be clear, I'm talking about a basic windowpane, like this one here, though not necessarily in the same color (I'm thinking charcoal or navy with a muted windowpane.)

As for how I'll use it, I work in an academic medical practice. As long as I wear slacks and a tie, they could care less what I wear one way or another! So I can wear what I want. Therefore this doesn't have to be a business outfit per se, and in fact I'd probably prefer something I could wear socially as well. My style is somewhat conservative, I shy away fro loud plaid sports coats and the like. That's why I want to experiment with a windowpane.

As always, thanks for sharing knowledge.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Depends on the loudness or faintness of the windowpane. This is really one of those areas where you'll slowly develop an eye for sportiness vs. dressiness over time.

Dressier windowpanes will have a much fainter / less prominent grid.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Depends on the loudness or faintness of the windowpane. The example you posted is more of a sporty pattern than a suit pattern for most people. This is really one of those areas where you'll slowly develop an eye for sportiness vs. dressiness over time.

Dressier windowpanes will have a much fainter / less prominent grid, and usually a larger pattern than the one you posted (though sporty windowpanes can also be large).

So the louder the pattern, the better it is for a sports coat...

I prefer muted and larger pattern windowpanes, but I don't want my SC to look like an orphaned suit jacket.

Thanks, will have to mull this over with my tailor.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the swatch books should help you detemine if the fabric is suitable for a suit or s/c
a clear finish fabric is great for suits

a more brushed fuzzy pattern is better for a s/c

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As worn by Nii yesterday:

5f525aec.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I prefer muted and larger pattern windowpanes, but I don't want my SC to look like an orphaned suit jacket.

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
a more brushed fuzzy pattern is better for a s/c

Example (spring/summer fabric):

wddhvlinneniv.jpg

Matt S

Reaction score
Any windowpane is appropriate for a suit but it has to be fairly bold to work as a sports coat. If the pattern disappears when you look at it far away it's only good for a suit.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love a 3 piece windowpane suit. Go for it!

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have windowpane suits and SCs and wear the hell out of both.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Any windowpane is appropriate for a suit but it has to be fairly bold to work as a sports coat. If the pattern disappears when you look at it far away it's only good for a suit.

Would you say the reverse does not hold true? I've seen bold patterns done up as suits. Here's one I saw here on the WAYWT thread (not a windowpane but I'm derailing my own thread a bit!):

1-29.jpg

It's pretty loud, and my instinct is that if I had the fabric and was doing something with it I would have it made into a sports coat, but it looks great as a suit too.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S

Are you sure?

10linnenbruinwitstreepj.jpg

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Are you sure?

10linnenbruinwitstreepj.jpg

That fabric is more than just a windowpane. What I said really only applies to hard-finished worsted wools. I should have made that clear before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads