• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windowpane fabric advice

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having a windowpane suit made, since I haven't found any OTR that I like. Can anyone give advice on good fabric books for this? I'm thinking something three-seasonal wool, maybe closer to the lighter end - definitely not winter weight, I'd rather add a heavy jacket than sweat. The suit is not intended for formal business occasions, though I may wear it to work from time to time.

Thanks in advance.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
H&S Peacock is good if you want it to be bold.

Peacock is jacketing, OP wants suiting.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
H&S Peacock is good if you want it to be bold.

Originally Posted by Despos

NYR, I should have specified in my post, I'm probably leaning towards the conservative side. I'm thinking charcoal/gray or navy background with a more subtle windowpane, though I'm kind of fishing for ideas, which is why I wanted to look through a few fabrics and see if anything jumped out at me. And yeah, it's for a suit. I will keep the Peacock in mind, though, thanks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

Some guy here recommended Lesser Golden Bale to me once, and I have one windowpane in and another that will be ready for fitting in September.

Both are worsted flannels.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonmarshalljazz
huddersfiled has some nice ones. i have a suit in navy and a length in black for a rainy day.

JMJ, sorry that I never got back to you. Thanks for your kind comments, and no, I do not have one of those.

- B

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a look at Andrew Roger's flickr page for more ideas

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I'm thinking of having a windowpane suit made, since I haven't found any OTR that I like. Can anyone give advice on good fabric books for this? I'm thinking something three-seasonal wool, maybe closer to the lighter end - definitely not winter weight, I'd rather add a heavy jacket than sweat. The suit is not intended for formal business occasions, though I may wear it to work from time to time.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Some guy here recommended Lesser Golden Bale to me once, and I have one windowpane in and another that will be ready for fitting in September.

Both are worsted flannels.

- B

You like it, the Golden Bale?

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the provenance but I like this one from PG. It looks like this one was made up as a sportcoat but it actually strikes me more as suiting.

100820-5.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Not sure of the provenance but I like this one from PG. It looks like this one was made up as a sportcoat but it actually strikes me more as suiting.

That looks great. A while back I had seen a navy suit with crimson/red hued pinstripes, and while I wasn't looking for a pinstripe suit I really liked the color scheme. If I can find something like this in a not-too-heavy fabric it might be the winner.

EDIT: though in hindsight, light blue striping would probably look better on me...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apropos had a pretty sick one in the Unfunded Liabilities thread... Found it:
cimg4107.jpg

courty

Reaction score
The Lesser 11/12 oz bunch has a few subtle windowpanes.

Montauk

Reaction score
Michael Alden makes some well-observed points about the relative merits of windowpane patterns on different cloths in this London Lounge thread: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...hp?f=32&t=7363 I think Michael's a bit harsh on poor Luca (wearing one of his more retiring looks, no less), but I agree with him that the boldness of the pattern is best rendered softly in a nappier cloth. Accordingly, all thee of my windowpane suits are chalkstripe on flannel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads