• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wind-resistant denim

Kohan

Reaction score
Hello,

Now that fall has actually set in around me, walking in early morning/late evening can be brutally windy. I layer with sweaters, coat, etc, but that does nothing to insulate my legs. Is there a brand of denim you would recommend as being warmer/more wind-resistant? I've been wearing pajama/track pants under my jeans occasionally, but that gets very annoying as soon as I'm indoors.

Thanks much, hopefully I'll soon master this whole "cold weather survival" thing. Kind of difficult when you're raised in the Sunshine State...

Peace,

Kohan

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flannel-lined jeans? wouldn't really make them wind-resistant, though..

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
uhmm I don't think any denim is ever going to be 'wind resistant'.. the best you can do is probably a heavy weight with a super tight weave... why don't you just throw on some long underwear tho?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I ride in all my jeans and thus experience sustained wind up to ... 60MPH, right?
rolleyes.gif
It's not so much the weight of the denim as the weave that makes it more or less windproof. I have a pair of jeans (Helmut Lang I think) that feel pretty heavy/thick but they let wind right through, whereas my 5EPxSF are about the same weight (actually feel thinner, but denser) and let a lot less wind through. I don't have any recommendations (aside from maybe trying 5EP) but that's my experience. Personally if I had a real issue with it I would wear some long underwear such as Under Armour HeatGear which adds a significant amount of insulation but doesn't get bulky or sweaty under your jeans. You could also try some of the coated denims like Nudie has - I would expect those to let less wind through.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
^ coating doesn't help, at least on the Thin Finn's. Theoretically it's a good guess, but walking around the last two days in 20+mph winds proves it wrong. I'd guess the Thin Finn denim is initially too thin/lightweight already.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so waxed denim is no help?

i second J's recommendation of wearing UA or long johns.

Serg

Reaction score
iron heart seems pretty wind resistant but i haven't worn them through a winter ye.t

jqbomb

Reaction score
I believe Edwin did a Gore-Tex lined jean a few years ago. Probably your best wind proof option...

Kohan

Reaction score
Cool, thanks everybody.

Right now it looks like long-johns until I can get to a decent denim locale to try stuff on, updates to follow as they arise.

And a three-week autumn definitely makes me feel cheated. I wanted fall, damnit, not flat gray purgatory!

cloud.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads