Wimbledon 2009

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by cheessus, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The slaughter is over. 6-1, 6-0. Venus had 16 winners and 1 unforced error.

2. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

God, that was butchery.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Venus FTW.

4. SField

SField Senior member

The slaughter is over. 6-1, 6-0. Venus had 16 winners and 1 unforced error.

This is part of why I don't watch women's tennis.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

if it were a Serena/Safina final it'd be like 2 mens finals this year

6. paraiso

paraiso Senior member

Dementieva/Williams was a pretty good match.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Dementieva/Williams was a pretty good match.
    Very good. Venus slaughtered Safina. That was embarrassing.

8. paraiso

paraiso Senior member

She should get rid of that coach of hers. She plays as if she's afraid the dude is going to kick her ass. She looked terrified at the FO finals.

On the mens side I want Murray to win.

9. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

As embarrassing as that was, it was nowhere near as embarrassing as the double bagel beatdown that Federer put on Hewitt in the US Open Finals a few years ago. But I like Venus and hope that she wins on Sat. I was so pissed that Dementieva didn't win.

10. paraiso

paraiso Senior member

As embarrassing as that was, it was nowhere near as embarrassing as the double bagel beatdown that Federer put on Hewitt in the US Open Finals a few years ago. But I like Venus and hope that she wins on Sat. I was so pissed that Dementieva didn't win.

She had Serena at match point and blew it. When Serena's serve is working there aren't too many that can beat her.

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

^^2004... 6-0, 7-6, 6-0. Fed was pretty ridiculous back then.

12. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

^^2004... 6-0, 7-6, 6-0. Fed was pretty ridiculous back then.

Gut feeling Roddick v Federer in the finals.

But my head tells me the smart pick would be Federer-Murray with Federer coming out on top.

Roddick has been in excellent form pretty much all year and so has Murray, itll be interesting to see what both bring to the table.

13. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Hahaha, on the subject of Federer nostalgia, if it's Roddick I want to see Roddick throw his racket at Fed again.

14. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Gut feeling Roddick v Federer in the finals. But my head tells me the smart pick would be Federer-Murray with Federer coming out on top. Roddick has been in excellent form pretty much all year and so has Murray, itll be interesting to see what both bring to the table.
    I have the gut feeling that it's gonna be a Fed-Roddick final (see the first post). It is one thing to chase history in a final against a Soderling at the FO and another thing against a Roddick at Wimbledon. Soderling at the FO was a once in a career thing, I'm sad to say. And it is on his worst surface nonetheless. For Federer, the pressure was all about getting to the finals. Here against Roddick, Federer is playing him on his best surface arguably. And though he has some ridiculous record against him, like 12-2, Roddick has always played him close and tough, especially in Wimbledon. Don't let the fact that Federer has beaten him 3 times at here in straight sets twice, I believe, fool you. Roddick is playing better now than before, while Federer is playing worse than before. And with this added pressure, Wimbledon seems ripe for Roddick to steal. But first he has to get past Murray, which may make this whole post useless. Anyway, I give him a 50% chance to win. He has to attack more by serving and volleying. If he tries to initiate rallies with Murray he will get swept. He's probably going to have to serve 30+ aces, but that's totally within the realm of possibility for him. My only worries are that Roddick is still tired from his match with Hewitt and that he may get mentally derailed if the first set doesn't end well. The crowd will be pretty respectful in my opinion because the Brits really like him, but will turn on him quickly if he loses his cool. I hope that this is gonna be epic.

15. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

I don't think Roddick is too tired from the match against Hewitt. They had the day off, and Roddick is used to 5 setters, he's fitter than ever before and thanks to his weight loss, matches take less of a toll on his body. However, I can see the Murray match going to 5, if Roddick is to win, and that WILL tire him out for Federer.

I don't think it's Roddick's ability that let's him down against Federer, it's his confidence. Also, their track record boots Fed's confidence. I'd love to see Roddick beat Fed in the final, but not only do I not think he would, I don't think he'll even get the chance.