Wimbledon 2009

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by cheessus, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

The road to the Men's finals is looking pretty good. Great action coming up in the Quarters, and I don't think it matters much who wins what, we're going to have some great matches.

I'm picking Federer, Murray, Roddick and Djokovic going into the Semi's.

Who does Hewitt play tomorrow? He's been hanging on like a pit-bull and can't be counted out...

2. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I like watching Serena, and as stupid as that comment is, it poses an interesting question. How would Serena be ranked if she played on the men's side?
    Hahahahahahaha. And you think MY comment was stupid? I can't stand watching her, it actually seems like I'm watching a really mediocre men's player beat up on the girls, with, I guess, the exception that she can get down to pick up low balls better than a lot of bad men's players. Hewitt plays Roddick and will likely lose in straights. Andy is really playing well. Doubt he can take Murray, but given what Wawrinka did, you never know.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I hate Serena as well. It's like watching a tranny play tennis

remember in the later 80s I think when they were going to pit the #1 player then (probably Martina Navratilova) against the #100 mens player to see who'd win. They never went thru with it, but most pundits felt that the man (who's name completely escapes me but that was def his 15 seconds of fame) would easily win. I think they went as far to say that a top ranked college player could beat the #1 woman.

But the way chicks play today, I don't think it'd be so easy

4. snuffy

snuffy Active Member

The matches tomorrow are:
    Karlovic vs. Federer
    Roddick vs. Hewitt
    Murray vs. Ferrero
    Djokovic vs. Hass

I think its Federer, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic in the semis....

Regarding Serena playing Top 100 men. She could not take a set off a Top 100 male. Their power, fitness is superior. Serves are so much better. Maybe Serena of 2002-2003 but not the Serena now.

5. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

^Not even in 2002. And the men's side of the ATP SUCKED in 2002.

Definitely getting up to watch Fed v. Ivo. Could be an interesting match... or really boring. Roddick Hewitt will either be fun or over quickly. I think Murray is going to devour Ferrero and his children. Djokovic is playing too well for Haas to give him much trouble, but if I were to pick one potential upset that would probably be it. It's not really a great QF draw. Fed vs. Novak should be a good contest.

6. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

I'm pretty pumped for tomorrow, though I think there aren't going to be any upsets except for the Djoker-Haas matchup. They will all be pretty good matches with the exception of Murray-Ferrero.

Match of the tourney will be Roddick-Murray though.

As for Serena vs. Top 100 men, she would get crushed 2 and 3 playing her best. Versus anyone in the top 25 she would get double bagled 75% of the time I bet. However, she would probably beat the top male college player, but even that is a toss up.

7. jessis

jessis Senior member

Men's serves make it almost impossible for them to be beaten by women - even top college players serves.

I think Djokovic will get beaten - he has played relatively average opponents to this point.

8. unrated

unrated Senior member

I like watching Serena, and as stupid as that comment is, it poses an interesting question. How would Serena be ranked if she played on the men's side? I think there's a few top 100 men's players that she could beat with some consistency.
    She would lose to a top 100 pretty badly. She will get beaten simply by movement, the guys are far superior movers around the court. Balls that she is not used to seeing women get to will be retrieved pretty comfortably by guys. The guys also play with a lot more spin, most of the women hit relatively flat balls so she would have to acclimate.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

remember in the later 80s I think when they were going to pit the #1 player then (probably Martina Navratilova) against the #100 mens player to see who'd win. They never went thru with it, but most pundits felt that the man (who's name completely escapes me but that was def his 15 seconds of fame) would easily win. I think they went as far to say that a top ranked college player could beat the #1 woman.

But the way chicks play today, I don't think it'd be so easy

I remember this hypothetical match. Chris Evert said that she regularly loses to her brother, and that Navratilova would lose to the #1000 man on the ATP tour.

I agree with everyone who said that Serena wouldn't come close to beating any man in the top 100. She is roughly the same size as Arnaud Clement, with much less power and speed.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Djokovic has lost the first two sets. The silver lining for him is that if you're down two sets to none to a top player, you'd want that player to be Haas.

11. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

This is why I like watching Serena play (aside from her great tennis).

I guess it's a stretch to make any comparison to the men's game.

Just noticed Fed won his match and Djokovic is 2 sets down to Haas....

12. snuffy

snuffy Active Member

The Fed/Karlovic match is boring. Karlovic has such a one-dimensional game.

I've been watching NBC for an hour and no news of Haas/Djokovic?

13. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Haas won in 4 sets.

14. Chris2289

Chris2289 Senior member

No way could Serena beat a top 100 player. She may be able to out move some of them but she could never get anywhere near to breaking them.

Looks Like Murray is going to the Semi's!

15. SField

SField Senior member

I like watching Serena, and as stupid as that comment is, it poses an interesting question. How would Serena be ranked if she played on the men's side? I think there's a few top 100 men's players that she could beat with some consistency.

There isn't a top NCAA player she could even take a set off of. It is unlikely they could beat almost any men's ATP player. Men are just simply better in speed, agility, endurance (women play far less), and their strokes are like 50 times more difficult to return than any woman's.