Williams-Sonoma

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by countdemoney, Dec 22, 2007.

1. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Visited my local Williams Sonoma and thought that the store's product selection had gone way down. They had OXO as a supplier.

Have I become so jaded, or have they lost their lustre?

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Visited my local Williams Sonoma and thought that the store's product selection had gone way down. They had OXO as a supplier.

Have I become so jaded, or have they lost their lustre?

The first time I'd ever seen one was this shopping season, but I thought it was a pretty sweet store. Maybe it's just the one in your area that has lost its lustre?

3. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

The W-S in Annapolis is great, I've never had any problems with their selection or quality.

JB

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Is there a problem with OXO stuff? I think they make excellent basics -- vegetable peelers, strainers and the like. I've only been in a W-S twice, but I always thought it was yuppie-esque, selling mainly the Armanis of cookware, so that seems to fit in. Sur la table it is not. Was it ever?

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is there a problem with OXO stuff? I think they make excellent basics -- vegetable peelers, strainers and the like. I've only been in a W-S twice, but I always thought it was yuppie-esque, selling mainly the Armanis of cookware, so that seems to fit in. Sur la table it is not. Was it ever?

I'm not sure why, but I've always found Sur la Table more painfully yuppy than WS. Like all the stuff is going to be taken home and hung on the wall to impress company, yet never get near a stove.

6. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

OXO is a fine product, but I can buy OXO at Kohl's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens + Things, etc - I expect more snob appeal at WS prices. My first experience at SLT many years ago (02? 03?) was that they were the poorer version of WS. I think that's changed as WS has opened more stores and become more mass merch, while SLT has invested more in its inventory selection.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm not sure why, but I've always found Sur la Table more painfully yuppy than WS. Like all the stuff is going to be taken home and hung on the wall to impress company, yet never get near a stove.
    +1. I've always found the help to be nicer at WS vs. SlaT. Don't sleep on the WS lifetime warranty either. Great place to buy kitchen appliances.

8. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

The first time I'd ever seen one was this shopping season, but I thought it was a pretty sweet store. Maybe it's just the one in your area that has lost its lustre?
    I agree, I've always found WS to be great.

9. mbc

mbc Senior member

OXO is a fine product, but I can buy OXO at Kohl's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens + Things, etc - I expect more snob appeal at WS prices.
    It peels vegetables. The upper bound on how luxurious such an item can get is reached rather quickly.

10. Abudeeba

Abudeeba Well-Known Member

Visited my local Williams Sonoma and thought that the store's product selection had gone way down. They had OXO as a supplier. Have I become so jaded, or have they lost their lustre?
    I don't know about OXO but I think what you're noticing about WS is that the product selection hasn't really changed much over the years. It's just kinda stale. Oh look, a KitchenAid mixer in red. Is that a Wusthof lemon zester? My heavens, can that really be a can of...mulling spices? You get the point. I did notice that WS carries the lower grade of Mauviel copperware at a decidedly higher grade price. I used to shop at WS all the time but thanks to the web I can beat their prices by a mile.

11. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

My WS is horrible at keeping things in stock.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I like shopping in WS and SLT, and they're great for gifts, but if I actually want to buy specific cooking equipment, I'll go to one of a few restaurant supply places. The stuff is just as high quality, and the prices are much lower.

However, in places without high-end grocery stores, WS is often the only source for sundries like plum pudding and good balsamic vinegar.

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

The W-S in Annapolis is great, I've never had any problems with their selection or quality.

JB

What does a 16 year old need at Williams Sonoma?

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I was doing serious cooking at ages younger than 16. One Christmas in that age range I received a set of Henckles knives and a crepe pan.

15. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Stuff for making food, mostly [​IMG]

JB