1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

William Field / Georgetown - Bespoke Pics!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by J. Cogburn, Mar 9, 2011.

1. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

My first bespoke suit comes from William Field of Field English Custom Tailors in Georgetown. It's a French navy blue with sky blue chalk stripe in 11 oz. Anglia cloth. The suit is a good representation of Will's house style - very akin to Henry Poole's where his father learned the trade.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Looks nice!

Interesting juxtaposition of background objects. An Ayn Rand poster and a library of climate change policy books?

3. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Looks nice!

Interesting juxtaposition of background objects. An Ayn Rand poster and a library of climate change policy books?

Indeed! Didn't mean to give away that much of my professional life, but there ya go ....

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank you for posting these. Great to see something from one of SF's most mentioned but little seen tailors.

How do you feel this compares to your RTW? Will you commission more?

5. 330CK

330CK Senior member

That suit is absolutely fantastic!

6. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

J. Cogburn, looks like a superb understated suit cut in English tradition.

Congratulations!

The shoulders might be a little too wide (to my eyes)... though it's difficult to say based on photos alone.

Andrey

7. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I've never warmed up to DB and but that fit is quite good. If I could get a DB to fit like that, I might be willing to wear them.

I see a little excess fabric on the upper back and and the lower rear sleeve head but I wonder, is that the suit or is it you?
    Are you standing more erect posing for the photograph then you were during the fitting?

I like your choice of blue on blue stripes -- more subtle then white on blue. But, I'm pretty conservative.

I wish you had added a pocket square, that would've enhanced the look and broken up the monotony of that great swath of blue fabric across you torso. I've always thought that DB need!!!!! a pocket square.

Not fond of the tie. It doesn't seem on par with the quality of the suit. I hate that pattern -- don't care for bow ties either.

I'd like to see the fit in the context of a full length shot. I suspect the true quality of the fit is not well captured by these photographs

Next time you wear it, try a straight tie, pocket square and get a full length shot with shoes -- Post that picture.
    http://www.styleforum.net//images/smilies/smile.gif

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I like the suit. However, those shoulder divots would drive me nuts on a bespoke piece.

Mike

9. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I like the suit. However, those shoulder divots would drive me nuts on a bespoke piece.

Mike

Please, no. Not another divot thread.

10. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Thank you for posting these. Great to see something from one of SF's most mentioned but little seen tailors.

I agree and thanks for sharing.

Mr. Field is a really nice guy.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Looks good on you. Congrats.

12. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Great to finally see some pics of a Field in the wild.

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Just saw this after your WAYWRN post. Thanks for sharing & posting. Bumping Doc's question re: fit between this and your RTW.

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Please, no. Not another divot thread.

Don't want to start another one, trust me.

Mike

15. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Looks really nice. Fits well. Congratulations.

What's on order next?

16. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

17. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

How do you feel this compares to your RTW? Will you commission more?

Looks really nice. Fits well. Congratulations.

What's on order next?

All of my RTWs (mostly RLBLs with a couple of BB Madisons from the old days) have been surgically altered by Field, so they fit very well. But one thing I do notice - and am surprised by - is how snug the bespoke suit is to the back. Don't get me wrong; I can move with it fine. But I've never had anything like that snug fit and I can definitely feel it even when at ease. That takes a bit of getting used to. Still, I work with my coat on at my desk - buttoned-up of course - and am perfectly comfortable. The coat feels like a shirt.

That said, the RLBLs - now that they have been "Fielded" - are pretty damned good. I would be tempted to fill out more of my closet with them (from Ebay or some such discount outlet) in order to save money if there were a wider selection of fabrics. Unfortunately, the RLBL line is very narrow, so it's not really an option. Besides, once you figure in, say $600 for the discounted RLBL and $250-$350 to have it "Fielded," you're almost getting into W.W. Chan pricing, which is probably a better way to go.

I have indeed commissioned more from Will. In the works at present is a black mohair in Dormeiul Tonik (90% mohair - SB with only one button - jetted pockets - peak lapels - no vents) for going out at night. In short, it's a dinner jacket without the silk facing or piping on the trousers. The idea it to be able to dress it up or down as the engagement warrants.

Also in the works is a 3B marine blue summer blazer in a fresco with no vents and mother-o-pearl buttons.

That suit is absolutely fantastic!

Looks good on you. Congrats.

The suit looks great
    [​IMG]

Stellar.

Thank you all!

J. Cogburn, looks like a superb understated suit cut in English tradition.

Congratulations!

The shoulders might be a little too wide (to my eyes)... though it's difficult to say based on photos alone.

You may be right about the shoulders. I asked Will to give me a nice V and to err on the side of larger shoulders. He thinks they're fine fit-wise but they are admittedly not very fashion-forward at present.

I've never warmed up to DB and but that fit is quite good. If I could get a DB to fit like that, I might be willing to wear them.

I see a little excess fabric on the upper back and and the lower rear sleeve head but I wonder, is that the suit or is it you?
    Are you standing more erect posing for the photograph then you were during the fitting?

I like your choice of blue on blue stripes -- more subtle then white on blue. But, I'm pretty conservative.

I wish you had added a pocket square, that would've enhanced the look and broken up the monotony of that great swath of blue fabric across you torso. I've always thought that DB need!!!!! a pocket square.

Not fond of the tie. It doesn't seem on par with the quality of the suit. I hate that pattern -- don't care for bow ties either.

I'd like to see the fit in the context of a full length shot. I suspect the true quality of the fit is not well captured by these photographs

Next time you wear it, try a straight tie, pocket square and get a full length shot with shoes.

Good questions and comments.

I went with the DB for exactly that reason; it's hard to find a DB off the rack that fits well and flatters - so based on the theory that one should have a few DBs in the closet, it seemed like a good candidate for my first bespoke order.

The extra fabric is an illusion. It wears quite cleanly; probably my posture and the fact that I wear my coat at my desk so it gets a bit wrinkled during the day.

Agree with the sky blue stipes. In fact, I worried that they were still going to be too dramatic after the initial order was made, but the blue-on-blue keeps things a bit subtle.

I usually do wear a pocket square, but (a) I didn't have time this morning to iron my PS linen - and all three of my white linen squares really needed it, and (b) I thought the bow-tie was dandy enough. Put a PS on this rig and I worry that we've got one dandification too many. I don't usually wear a bow-tie by the way; only once every couple of weeks. But I hadn't wore one in a while and a bow-tie looks better on a DB than a SB in my opinion, so that's why I put one on this morn.

The bow-tie is a Ralph Lauren Polo. It's the only RL Polo tie I own. Most are Drakes or Hobers. So you may be right about the tie, but I dunno - it looks pretty good up close and personal.

Next week, I'll give the suit your treatment and post.

The issue kept coming up in the fittings. I plan on returning to the issue when I see Will on Friday to go over my next commissions.

Great to finally see some pics of a Field in the wild.

Indeed. Will's clientel are not the kind who are going to be posting here and I thought it was high time he got some attention with our kind. He's familiar with Style Forum and was enthusiastic over the prospect of a post.

18. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

Great suit, JC. I'm in an advocacy firm on the Independence side of Jenkin's Hill. Perhaps we ought to get some of the SF-DC gang together for Hendricks gin martinis some night.

19. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Great suit, JC. I'm in an advocacy firm on the Independence side of Jenkin's Hill. Perhaps we ought to get some of the SF-DC gang together for Hendricks gin martinis some night.

That might be worth coming home for (I am a native Warshingtonian).

Mike

20. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Well, we're more-or-less in the same business then. A get together would be fun, particularly since - as coincidence would have it - I am both a gin drinker and a Hendricks fan.

Interestingly enough, two colleagues from my office are on these style boards - primarily at Ask Andy however.