Will you ever have enough clothing to satisfy you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylemeup, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Butter

Butter Senior member

I don't think I've obtained enough money to even consider that.

2. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

I'm actually feeling slightly oppressed by the amount of clothes I've got at the moment. Feeling a clear out coming on. Figure that might better focus on the things I actually need rather than want and therefore allow my to buy a few things more strategically....Bugger! Evidently not. [​IMG]

3. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

If you look at my closet it would appear that way but I can always find something I need or do not have when I am out shopping.

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I do it for the economy. Sure I don't need more, but someone needs to keep those designers and artisans employed, or we'll lose them forever. My motives for buying new clobber are purely altruistic.

5. GucciKid

GucciKid Senior member

Yes, there is a point at which I will have "enough" but that point is still many items and thousands of dollars away.

Once you've collected all of the basics and staples there are still things that one could add - say a morning coat or a pair of opera pumps. However I wouldn't want to get to the point where I have 100 different sport coats in every pattern and colour imaginable. I'd prefer to keep a solid rotation of 15-20 that I really like which will get me through every season.

If I do reach the point where I've covered all of the bases I'll be content to cycle in one sport coat or one suit a year just to get something new in the rotation.

6. Doxe

Doxe Senior member

More, more, more! I am a maximalist in these matters. 100 pairs of shoes is only a way-station on the way to 300. A 10,000 book library is better than a 5,000 book library.

This is one of the reasons that I choose to be single, by the way. I have no one to answer to but myself, hence there are no arguments over purchases (which is quite delightful). My cat likes all of it.

There is truth to this.

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

If you look at my closet it would appear that way but I can always find something I need or do not have when I am out shopping.

I feel the same way.

8. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

I could see myself replacing clothes, but to just stop and live off of my wardrobe now for years is not something I would want to do. Crazy thing is, once you've covered the broad strokes of clothing staples, you start to notice the more intricate things.

9. Butter

Butter Senior member

I do it for the economy. Sure I don't need more, but someone needs to keep those designers and artisans employed, or we'll lose them forever. My motives for buying new clobber are purely altruistic.

It might sound like a joke to some but I actually feel the exact same way.

All these other companies doing shortcuts are getting all the cash and it's hard to reward the folks that put the time and effort into perfecting something.

I'd rather save money, buy SIGNIFICANTLY less but buy quality.

10. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Goals (in terms of dressy stuff. In terms of non-dressy stuff, I won't need to buy anything for years):

10 - 15 pairs of A+ shoes. 10 should be sufficient. No need to wear shoes less frequently than once every two weeks. No benefit for me there. I'm fine with MTO, no interest in doing bespoke.
    -have 6-

2 or 3 really nice suits. Transitioning to non-suit position, so will only need interview & meeting suits.
    -have 3, but might trade one out for nicer one. have 7 total, not all are A+-

Socks, underwear, undershirts: lots.
    -have lots-

4 nice sport coats/blazers. As long as you have a navy blazer, you can't run out of coveragre
    -have 3-

5 - 10 pairs of pants for work.
    -have 1. need to do some buying-

20 Shirts.
    -have 20+. wish I had fewer but feel bad about throwing stuff out. wish i had more white and plain blue instead of various checks/patterns/stripes. next MTM order will be 2 white 2 blue to replace the last of my non MTM-

1 overcoat/top coat.
    -have 1-

By the end of 2011, I will almost surely have everything I need and be content about it. From then on it'll be about substitution when necessary. I don't see a point in having things sitting around never getting worn, so I don't want to accumulate too much. Just go for quality.

Plus, I can never remember what anyone in my office wore the day before, so I'm sure its the same for them with me.

11. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

My wife would probably laugh out loud at this question. Yes I need to buy more, forever....

13. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

I am satisfied for a while then I buy more. The cycle repeats endlessly.

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I am satisfied for a while then I buy more. The cycle repeats endlessly.

+1 to that. Ususally when Fall lines hit, I start seeing things I "need" again.

15. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

A more noble pursuit does not exist.