• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Will they ever unite and make a one-world shoe sizing system?

stylemeup

Reaction score

If so, when will this likely happen?

If not, why won't this happen?

dano

Reaction score
Right after they standardize weights, measures, and languages. 3 years.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dano
Right after they standardize weights, measures, and languages. 3 years.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dear god i hope so.

i'd also want the metric system to prevail in the US.

lizmasc

Reaction score
That's probably going to be hard, changing a whole country (or countries) to unify into a general standardization that not their own. That would simplify things a lot though, I mean there's currently 3 or 4 shoe sizing systems or what

dano

Reaction score
I hope we never go metric, its so useful to know miles and inches when I travel to Liberia and Myanmar!

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lizmasc
That's probably going to be hard, changing a whole country (or countries) to unify into a general standardization that not their own. That would simplify things a lot though, I mean there's currently 3 or 4 shoe sizing systems or what

Well, a little war might help here...

Yet I don't see the problem in varying sizing systems, but in the end-product. My shoes range from sizes 43 - 46. Go figure that out.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
not likely I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by stylemeup

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup

When there is only one shoe manufacturer left....which might be sooner than you think.

It's actually impossible. Every time you change a toe/last shape, you must get different volumes which makes a strict # system irrelevant. This is one reason why I refuse to give outsole measures when asked - it really does not tell you much about how a shoe will fit.

If there were strict sizing requirements, there would be only one shape of shoe - and therefore no style.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
We in the U.S. were supposed to start converting to the metric system in the late 1970s and so far I have seen two (2) speed limit signs and wine and spirits in metric measures. There may be something else that I can't think at the moment, but at the rate we are going, we might get finished by the year 3008.

I take it that there are still a few small countries that few have heard of that still use the archaic systems of weights and measures that we inherited from the British long ago.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy as long as it English sizing.

Edward

Reaction score
There are plenty of internet sites that give the equivalent sizes in various countries so that's no big deal - the big problem, for me at least, is that most places outside of the U.S. make only standard widths for given sizes. If I want shoes in my size (U.S. size 13 wide) I usually have to try and find size 14, not an easy task (not that 13 is any easier). In any case, I've learned the hard way that no matter what the label on the box says, the shoes have to be tried on before you buy them.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I'd be happy as long as it English sizing.

Yes, agree, that's fair.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%