• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will the Earnest Sewn Filson XX Rigid Selvedge shrink?

bluetox

Reaction score
OK, I tried on a 31 a while ago and really liked them they were a bit big, and they not have a 30 so I passed. I saw and bought a pair on ebay size 30 but got excited and neglected to read the fine print the actual size was bigger, I measure it at 32 (It was my fault really cant blame the seller, but I doubt I'll be buying clothes on ebay again).

If I put it in a bucket of warm water will it shrink? If so how long should I keep it? Im not sure if it's one wash or not. Is there any other method of shrinking the pants?

It's new without the tags, depending on what you guys tell me about it shrinking or not, I will sell it on the buying and selling board. What do you think would be a resonable price to sell it for?

Thanks in advance.

phaedrus

Reaction score
I have a pair, they did not shrink by any noticable amount, in fact they stretched too much before washing that I don't wear them any longer as they are too big.

Even after washing they didn't really shrink back to normal size.

nairb49

Reaction score
I bought a pair as an experiment, and quite like them actually. really nice quality denim, its a shame they dont'fit you.

Unfortunately, the resale value of ES are remarkably low both on SF and ebay, I'm assuming due to their ubiquitous nature.
There is a pair on ebay now with starting bid of 86USD and buy it now somewhere around 120, I'll be curious as to what (if) they sell for.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do shrink, but not insanely, as they are sanforzied.. They also stretch a lot.

bluetox

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like bad news for me.
frown.gif

I'll put it on sale on the buying and selling forum soon.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered these from ESs (Fulton, actually), and wonder if I should have sized down one more. I got a 32, because I've heard these run smaller than Nudie in the waist, and I wear a 31 in RRDS and it's perfect.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
my pair stretched about half an inch on the length and waist..but the leg shrink a bit too...good thing i sized down when i bought it

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jean_connoisseur23
my pair stretched about half an inch on the length and waist..but the leg shrink a bit too...good thing i sized down when i bought it

Half an inch should be perfect. IIRC, when I tried these once before I tried a 33 in the line dry, and it was perfect. I've tried the dark maz as well, in a 32, a pair that had been tried a lot, and they were a bit loose. I assume that the DM will stretch more than the LD because it is softer, but I could be wrong.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Line Dry today, they fit beautifully, wanted to know if I should have sized down one more. Just how much stretching should I expect vs. RRDS? I got a 32, and the waist is tight, but not as tight as my RRDS were when I got them. If they aren't going to stretch as much as the Nudies, then I got the right size. If, however, they will stretch as much or more, then I need a smaller size. How do you guys usually get the ES jeans as compared to the Nudies?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Got my Line Dry today, they fit beautifully, wanted to know if I should have sized down one more. Just how much stretching should I expect vs. RRDS? I got a 32, and the waist is tight, but not as tight as my RRDS were when I got them. If they aren't going to stretch as much as the Nudies, then I got the right size. If, however, they will stretch as much or more, then I need a smaller size. How do you guys usually get the ES jeans as compared to the Nudies?

If it's not as tight, it likely won't stretch as much in any case. My ES didn't stretch a whole lot, as JC said, half an inch, inch at the most.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
If it's not as tight, it likely won't stretch as much in any case. My ES didn't stretch a whole lot, as JC said, half an inch, inch at the most.

I was only worried because I had once tried on a pair of the Filson at a dept. store, and they'd been tried/stretched a bunch and the 32 was a bit loose in the waist. I'm going to wear these around the house a bit for the next day or so, and then decide whether there was too much stretching.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I was only worried because I had once tried on a pair of the Filson at a dept. store, and they'd been tried/stretched a bunch and the 32 was a bit loose in the waist. I'm going to wear these around the house a bit for the next day or so, and then decide whether there was too much stretching.

Washing them is going to bring them most of the way back in any case, not to where they started but close...

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Washing them is going to bring them most of the way back in any case, not to where they started but close...

I just wanted to know if it was RRDS stretching, or a little less, as these are technically one wash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads