• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Obama Start Trend Toward Better Dress?

wgiceman

Reaction score
All politics aside, do you think Obama will influence a better dress standard in the US? GWB seemed to influence a lot of people to wear the light blue tie with the white shirt and navy or gray suit, so I wonder what influece Obama will have. I particularly hope that he influences the younger people to take an interest in their dress and overall appearance. Sartorially, we may be in for a much needed improvement.

Newsman

Reaction score
Here is a start -- Obama on "sagging pants." I love his response.

"Here's my attitude: I think passing a law about people wearing sagging pants is a waste of time," Obama replied. "We should be focused on creating jobs, improving our schools, getting health care, dealing with the war in Iraq. Any public official who is worrying about sagging pants probably needs to spend some time focusing on real problems out there.

"Having said that, brothers should pull up their pants. You're walking by your mother, your grandmother, and your underwear is showing. ... What's wrong with that? Come on. There are some issues that we face that you don't have to pass a law [against], but that doesn't mean folks can't have some sense and some respect for other people. And, you know, some people might not want to see your underwear "” I'm one of them."

Hopefully, we will see style return...after all he was twice on the cover of "Men's Vogue."

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newsman
Here is a start -- Obama on "sagging pants." I love his response.

"Here's my attitude: I think passing a law about people wearing sagging pants is a waste of time," Obama replied. "We should be focused on creating jobs, improving our schools, getting health care, dealing with the war in Iraq. Any public official who is worrying about sagging pants probably needs to spend some time focusing on real problems out there.

"Having said that, brothers should pull up their pants. You're walking by your mother, your grandmother, and your underwear is showing. ... What's wrong with that? Come on. There are some issues that we face that you don't have to pass a law [against], but that doesn't mean folks can't have some sense and some respect for other people. And, you know, some people might not want to see your underwear "” I'm one of them."

Hopefully, we will see style return...after all he was twice on the cover of "Men's Vogue."

Lovely indeed.

As to the OP question: yes. Just look at the numerous unbuttoned collar looks in the WAYWT thread yesterday
devil.gif
. The hardliners (think Sator) won't be pleased, but if it makes the suit / sportcoat trendy again, I'm all for it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am I the only one that prefers that most men dress like slobs so I look comparatively better?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Really? The current POTUS influenced a lot of people with regards to style?

dboll

Reaction score
No. While, his policies may advocate taking your nice clothes and giving them to less fortunate, that doesn't mean they would be inclined to wear them. Most of America has conciously made the choice to be slovenly.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Look at the past. When a better-dressed president replaced a worse-dressed one in the past, did standards increase? To be honest I have no idea but those of you more up on clothing history and US presidents can have an informed opinion.

polyesterisok

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Look at the past. When a better-dressed president replaced a worse-dressed one in the past, did standards increase? To be honest I have no idea but those of you more up on clothing history and US presidents can have an informed opinion.

Bush43 brought back suits to the WH. For that matter, he brought back pants.

Did America start dressing "up"? Not exactly.

Obama is no Chester A. Arthur anyways.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the suggestion is quite absurd, to be honest. As the economy continues to tank, if anything men will be spending less on looking good.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think GWB and BHO dress about the same -- level of style, level of formality.

But BHO looks much better in his clothes.

They both exercise a lot and have decent bodies, so it may be a matter of tailoring.

adam02

Reaction score
The 'whole Kennedy killed the hat' idea seems to be the last time a president has had an impact on men's fashion and style. I also do not think that politicians are looked at for style inspiration. One would have to look to pop-culture for a more definitive answer to how and from whom people get influenced.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wgiceman
All politics aside, do you think Obama will influence a better dress standard in the US? I particularly hope that he influences the younger people to take an interest in their dress and overall appearance.

I CERTAINLY hope so!

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adam02
The 'whole Kennedy killed the hat' idea seems to be the last time a president has had an impact on men's fashion and style. I also do not think that politicians are looked at for style inspiration. One would have to look to pop-culture for a more definitive answer to how and from whom people get influenced.

Don't forget Reagan bringing brown to town!

And yes, I have grown quite comfortable with others dressing slovenly as well.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wgiceman
All politics aside, do you think Obama will influence a better dress standard in the US? GWB seemed to influence a lot of people to wear the light blue tie with the white shirt and navy or gray suit, so I wonder what influece Obama will have. I particularly hope that he influences the younger people to take an interest in their dress and overall appearance. Sartorially, we may be in for a much needed improvement.

I would welcome better dress. Obama is very well put together for the most part. Hopefully he will lead by example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads