• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Will Obama Start Trend Toward Better Dress?

wgiceman

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
178
Reaction score
9
All politics aside, do you think Obama will influence a better dress standard in the US? GWB seemed to influence a lot of people to wear the light blue tie with the white shirt and navy or gray suit, so I wonder what influece Obama will have. I particularly hope that he influences the younger people to take an interest in their dress and overall appearance. Sartorially, we may be in for a much needed improvement.
 

Newsman

Active Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Here is a start -- Obama on "sagging pants." I love his response.

"Here's my attitude: I think passing a law about people wearing sagging pants is a waste of time," Obama replied. "We should be focused on creating jobs, improving our schools, getting health care, dealing with the war in Iraq. Any public official who is worrying about sagging pants probably needs to spend some time focusing on real problems out there.

"Having said that, brothers should pull up their pants. You're walking by your mother, your grandmother, and your underwear is showing. ... What's wrong with that? Come on. There are some issues that we face that you don't have to pass a law [against], but that doesn't mean folks can't have some sense and some respect for other people. And, you know, some people might not want to see your underwear "” I'm one of them."

Hopefully, we will see style return...after all he was twice on the cover of "Men's Vogue."
 

whacked

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
7,364
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by Newsman
Here is a start -- Obama on "sagging pants." I love his response.

"Here's my attitude: I think passing a law about people wearing sagging pants is a waste of time," Obama replied. "We should be focused on creating jobs, improving our schools, getting health care, dealing with the war in Iraq. Any public official who is worrying about sagging pants probably needs to spend some time focusing on real problems out there.

"Having said that, brothers should pull up their pants. You're walking by your mother, your grandmother, and your underwear is showing. ... What's wrong with that? Come on. There are some issues that we face that you don't have to pass a law [against], but that doesn't mean folks can't have some sense and some respect for other people. And, you know, some people might not want to see your underwear "” I'm one of them."

Hopefully, we will see style return...after all he was twice on the cover of "Men's Vogue."


Lovely indeed.


As to the OP question: yes. Just look at the numerous unbuttoned collar looks in the WAYWT thread yesterday
. The hardliners (think Sator) won't be pleased, but if it makes the suit / sportcoat trendy again, I'm all for it.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,830
Reaction score
31
Am I the only one that prefers that most men dress like slobs so I look comparatively better?
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
Really? The current POTUS influenced a lot of people with regards to style?
 

dboll

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
No. While, his policies may advocate taking your nice clothes and giving them to less fortunate, that doesn't mean they would be inclined to wear them. Most of America has conciously made the choice to be slovenly.
 

dsmolken

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
674
Reaction score
24
Look at the past. When a better-dressed president replaced a worse-dressed one in the past, did standards increase? To be honest I have no idea but those of you more up on clothing history and US presidents can have an informed opinion.
 

polyesterisok

Active Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Look at the past. When a better-dressed president replaced a worse-dressed one in the past, did standards increase? To be honest I have no idea but those of you more up on clothing history and US presidents can have an informed opinion.

Bush43 brought back suits to the WH. For that matter, he brought back pants.

Did America start dressing "up"? Not exactly.

Obama is no Chester A. Arthur anyways.
 

winston

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
1,559
Reaction score
77
I think the suggestion is quite absurd, to be honest. As the economy continues to tank, if anything men will be spending less on looking good.
 

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
6,477
Reaction score
82
I think GWB and BHO dress about the same -- level of style, level of formality.

But BHO looks much better in his clothes.

They both exercise a lot and have decent bodies, so it may be a matter of tailoring.
 

adam02

New Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
The 'whole Kennedy killed the hat' idea seems to be the last time a president has had an impact on men's fashion and style. I also do not think that politicians are looked at for style inspiration. One would have to look to pop-culture for a more definitive answer to how and from whom people get influenced.
 

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
4,645
Reaction score
34
Originally Posted by wgiceman
All politics aside, do you think Obama will influence a better dress standard in the US? I particularly hope that he influences the younger people to take an interest in their dress and overall appearance.

I CERTAINLY hope so!
 

lordofpi

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by adam02
The 'whole Kennedy killed the hat' idea seems to be the last time a president has had an impact on men's fashion and style. I also do not think that politicians are looked at for style inspiration. One would have to look to pop-culture for a more definitive answer to how and from whom people get influenced.

Don't forget Reagan bringing brown to town!

And yes, I have grown quite comfortable with others dressing slovenly as well.
 

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
32,372
Reaction score
191
Originally Posted by wgiceman
All politics aside, do you think Obama will influence a better dress standard in the US? GWB seemed to influence a lot of people to wear the light blue tie with the white shirt and navy or gray suit, so I wonder what influece Obama will have. I particularly hope that he influences the younger people to take an interest in their dress and overall appearance. Sartorially, we may be in for a much needed improvement.

I would welcome better dress. Obama is very well put together for the most part. Hopefully he will lead by example.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,242
Messages
9,231,046
Members
193,770
Latest member
Alex2045
Top