• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will my new shoes be instantly destroyed?

Reaction score
Good morning Gentlemen,

I have just invested in a lovely pair of soft leather Jeffery West brogues with a picture sole - http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2011/shoesjw.jpg

I am really worried that:

a) The sole will be worn away the first time I wear them outside
b) The soft leather will be destroyed the first time I wear them in the rain

Sadly as I live in England the rain can't be avoid at any time of year, and as much as I'd just like to stay in my house I'm afraid I'm going to have to wear them outside at some point.

So, my questions:

1) Are my fears well founded?
2) Is there anything I can do about it? Magic polish? Varnish? Angels tears?!

Thanks,
Ernest.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
A) The soles will definitely wear off very quickly.

B) Wear rubber overshoes in the rain like you would with any nice pair.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uhoh.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell is it that makes people think a bit of rain is going to destroy leather? Yes, the soles will wear down, no the rain will not destroy anything.

fss

Reaction score
If that design was so important, the designer shouldn't have put it on the soles in the first place. Soles eventually wear down, and that design is probably gone very quickly.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have not seen this type of design before. I can't imagine it will last long, regardless of the weather.

Why would a shoe maker do this to leather?

The shoes look kind of cheap anyway. The leather at the rear quarter looks awfully thin. And is there even a real heel?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I have not seen this type of design before. I can't imagine it will last long, regardless of the weather.

Why would a shoe maker do this to leather?

The shoes look kind of cheap anyway. The leather at the rear quarter looks awfully thin. And is there even a real heel?

They're the diffusion line of Jeffery West (Black Line) usually made in Spain I think.

They will fall apart quicker than the print wears off the sole I fear...

OP the JW mainline shoes are pretty well made but I'd steer well clear of Black Line in the future unless you're getting them on STEEP discount.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
shoesjw.jpg

You'd better write the phone numbers of the various ladies down, before they wear off.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
shoesjw.jpg

You'd better write the phone numbers of the various ladies down, before they wear off.

n4crvk.jpg

- B

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only solution here would be clear full-length topys.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucite.

They look like they are meant to be slippers. I'd wear them at home in the carpeted grotto. Actually, I wouldn't wear them at all.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
shoulda bought the poster instead. Shoes are meant to be walked on, and drooled over in shop windows. Solution? put them in a shop window.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the only sole design I saw that may have worked used nails instead.

(I think it was on one of the shoe Appreciation threads with a skulls and bones design. Berluti maybe?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads