• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Will my Chandelier work in Europe?

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some forum members are pretty knowledgeable about these things, I would appreciate advise on this matter. I have a few really good ceiling lights and would like to take them with me if only thing I need to do is get edison screw adapters for EU bulbs. However if rewiring is needed I 'd probably leave them in US.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as long as the internals wiring can handle the current. check with manufacturer

i brought my lamps over. vendor said as long as i use 240v bulbs they will be fine. and they are

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I was a little kid and my family moved from the states to Israel, we brought our old family chandeliers and lamps, and they worked - basically it was an issue of putting in the right bulb. these were old and pretty robust, but I don't see why a newer lamp wouldn't work just as well. when my mother moved back, years later, she brought the same lamps and uses them still.

KaraW

Reaction score
It should be fine as long as it does not have any active electronics inside. Wire gauge for luminaires in europe is usually between 18 and 16 awg. Probably the same as in the states. Of course it will be illegal use as it's not officially built for your new locations martket. But I think you are best off takingit to a electrician for changing plug in you new location as it also transfers some of the responsibility in case of malfunction anyway and he can check the grounding methods and such.

It's also getting harder to get incadescent bulbs in the eu after the ban so you will have to use 230 volt halogen bulbs. ( http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/halogen-lamps/halogen-classic-eco/halogen-eco-pro-classic-b/index.jsp ) Those usually use a e27 or e14 type socket. You probably will have better luck finding adapters in the states.

Hope that helps.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 34 15.5%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 37 16.9%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Carmina

Votes: 33 15.1%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 72 32.9%